A-37 Dragonfly

Hi Chaps 

I'm a bit late starting this build as I've been on holiday for the last 3 weeks. Here goes an Encore models repop of the Revell/  Monogram A/T37.

All the injection plastic is here along with a nice resin cockpit, wheels and some bombs. There's also a small PE fret with the unusual retractable FOD guards unique to this aircraft. 

Decal options are US and Dominica, so it looks like a spares bin raid later on.

Here's the plastic. 

20190722_195053

And here's the goodies in the box. 

20190722_195114

Making a start tonight. 

Colin 

• Like 4

Oooh, looks like a nice little kit.  I built the old Hasegawa one back in high school (early '90s).  Always thought they were a neat little bird.

• Like 1

Yes it's a lot like the T28. An interesting trainer turned into a ground attack fighter in SEA. I've done the T28 so this has been on the list for a while. 

Lots of these still around in Vietnam and at least 4 at the RTAF museum. 

Colin 

• Like 1

Great choice Colin, nice to see another Dragonfly being built.

I think that the Monogram A-37 is a great little kit and your Encore re-pop is even better with it's resin cockpit goodies, I even toyed with the idea of building one myself for the GB.

Have you settled on an operator yet? I'm going to assume Thailand but that may be very presumptuous of me.

Glad to have you aboard, and you are definitely not late as we have until the end of October.

Craig.

Cheers Craig 

This will be RTAF. I've not decided on the final scheme yet as the Dragonfly served in SEA std scheme and an excellent grey scheme. If I can find enough pictures I'll go grey. 

Made a start this week. Resin cockpit, side walls rudder pedals and 2 part control columns all done. Nose bay added but not going to build the PE nose doors. 

20190725_211653

Colin 

• Like 4

Yes that's the one. Funky scheme or what? 

I'm back home soon so I'll check out the authenticity and possible dates of operations. It goes well with my RT-33 in the Lockheed GB. There's an RT-33 in the museum with a nice but fictitious 3 tone blue scheme so one has to be careful. 

RT-33-018

Colin 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colin W said:

Yes that's the one. Funky scheme or what? 

I'm back home soon so I'll check out the authenticity and possible dates of operations. It goes well with my RT-33 in the Lockheed GB. There's an RT-33 in the museum with a nice but fictitious 3 tone blue scheme so one has to be careful.

It is a great scheme for the A-37 and certainly looks different to the usual SEA scheme and I hope it is eligible.

I know what you mean about the RT-33, it really is a shame that you can NEVER trust a museum aircraft scheme unless of course it's only just acquired it and it's staff haven't had a chance to "improve" the exhibit. 

• Like 1

Well after even more fettling than usual l managed to get the fuselage halves together and the lower wing on.

I popped a bit of lead into port the nose before joining so we should be OK to avoid a tail sitter.

20190727_223452

Interior is 308 with the insulating material 308 mixed 1:1 with 26. Pe instrument panel next. 

Colin 

• Like 3

I had a bit of a tussle with the intakes but eventually got it all together. It neededa bit of pressure to close up the gaps to avoid the need for filler. 

20190729_090926

For quite an old kit it's going together quite well. 

Colin 

• Like 3

Yesterday we celebrated the Kings birthday and had a day off so lots of unexpected modelling time. This is only a small model and fits really well even with the resin. So 1 week after starting it's almost ready to paint. 

Upper wings secure, intakes, aerials and tail added. 

20190729_215049

Very excellent instrument panel made up of 4 PE parts. I managed to break both control columns fitting it in though. 

20190729_111422

Undercarriage added to protect the multiple aerials underneath. Pylons added for strength. 

20190729_194258

I'm going a bit lighter in the nose weight than I did for the RT-33. 

Colin 

• Like 6

Rummaging through the decal box I found a set of T33 decals for the model I just finished in the Lockheed GB. Ahhhhhh. However late it did give me the paint colours for this almost identical scheme. Coupled with the opening of a model shop in Bangkok i was in a unique position of knowing what colour i need and being able to get it!

So armed with new paint colours I  gave the AT37 a base of Mr Colour 338 and masked out the darker shade. This is how I eventually did the RT-33. 

20190804_093300

After spraying 3 coats of 306 and removing the masks it looked as planned. A bit of detail painting and the seats popped in to finish the weekend like this. 

20190804_155735

20190804_155756

Colin 

• Like 8

Thanks guys, 

We are just coming into the rainy season here in Thailand and looking at the sky today I can really see why this would be a good camouflage. Patchy broken greys with a hint of blue. Far more effective than the traditional SEA scheme. 

Colin 

• Like 1

A quick look at the underside. Lots of aerials and little bits to knock off. Getting a bit like a helicopter build. Aĺl the pylons were fitted before painting. Having the undercarriage and bays the same colour as the underside saved a lot of masking. The 3 layers of PE in the airbrake  came out well. Even the 6 part many folded support structure came out better than expected. I used filler to flatten out the bottom of the bay where the resin tub didn't meet thefuselage sides. The only filler needed on the model. 

20190804_160248

Colin 

• Like 6