F-4E Phantom centerline pylon

VG 33

Hello

As I am building an F-4E Kurnass for the Phantom STGB I am asking here the same question :

I am planning to hang under the centerline of my Kurnass a MER with 5 M-117 bombs. I have the MER from the Hasegawa generic box 72-1 but I wonder how is it hung. Inside much of the Phantom kits there is only a big fuel tank with its dedicated pylon.

Is the MER directly attached under the aircraft belly or by the way of a special pylon?

Cheers.

Patrick

Short answer - the centerline fuel tanks had their integral pylons (as did the outboards).

In 1/72, the Fujimi J79-Phantom kits have seperate centerline and outboard pylons, in addition to tanks with integral ones.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Hook said:

Short answer - the centerline fuel tanks had their integral pylons (as did the outboards).

In 1/72, the Fujimi J79-Phantom kits have seperate centerline and outboard pylons, in addition to tanks with integral ones.

Cheers,

Andre

Thank you.

I have checked part 65 in a Fujimi kit could be a nice base as the centerline MER adaptor.

Patrick

1 minute ago, VG 33 said:

Thank you.

I have checked part 65 in a Fujimi kit could be a nice base as the centerline MER adaptor.

Patrick

Yes, that sounds about right.

Cheers,

Andre

7 hours ago, VG 33 said:

I am planning to hang under the centerline of my Kurnass a MER with 5 M-117 bombs. I have the MER from the Hasegawa generic box 72-1 but I wonder how is it hung. Inside much of the Phantom kits there is only a big fuel tank with its dedicated pylon.

Is the MER directly attached under the aircraft belly or by the way of a special pylon?

From war-thunder about 1/3 down the thread is an F-4E in Vietnam. It has the load out you describe and it is using a mount between the MER and the plane. Most kits usually supply the pylon separate. 

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/440820-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4e-phantom-ii-last-version-of-the-vietnam-war/

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VG 33 said:

As I am building an F-4E Kurnass

While on the subject, the two AirDoc / Double Ugly volumes on the Phantom in IDF / AF service are well worth checking out (as are all volumes in this series).

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Hook said:

While on the subject, the two AirDoc / Double Ugly volumes on the Phantom in IDF / AF service are well worth checking out (as are all volumes in this series).

Cheers,

Andre

I am waiting for both volumes.

Patrick

59 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

From war-thunder about 1/3 down the thread is an F-4E in Vietnam. It has the load out you describe and it is using a mount between the MER and the plane. Most kits usually supply the pylon separate. 

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/440820-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4e-phantom-ii-last-version-of-the-vietnam-war/

Dennis

The picture of JV 287 with M-117 & Mk 82 is very intersting as for once there is enough light under the belly of this Phantom.

Patrick

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

and another one.

spacer.png

John

Thank you very much John as this will be very useful. I am sure this is the technical order I was looking for in the Internet.

Patrick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canberra kid said:

and another one.

spacer.png

John

Do you have a similar diagram for the mounting of the centreline gun-pod ?

I have the Wolfpack gun-pod set, but the included pylon appears too shallow............ is there an adaptor in the Hasegawa kits that it mounts on ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Keith T said:

Do you have a similar diagram for the mounting of the centreline gun-pod ?

I have the Wolfpack gun-pod set, but the included pylon appears too shallow............ is there an adaptor in the Hasegawa kits that it mounts on ?

@Keith T here you go, this is from the British AP but I'm assuming it's the same as the American kit?

spacer.png

spacer.png

John 

Edited by canberra kid
Typo
  • Like 3

Thanks John,

I'm mounting the Wolfpack gun-pod on a 1:48 Hasegawa FGR2, so that's perfect.

The part missing from the 1:48 Wolfpack gun-pod pylon is the 'Adjustable Nose Fairing' - labelled '2' in your first diagrams.

It's present on their 1:32 pylon, - hence my guess that the part might be included in the 1:48 Hasegawa kit itself, but not in the available 1:32 kits.

Can anyone confirm this assumption, before I start modifying my 1:48 Wolfpack pylon unnecessarily ?

(Kit itself is still buried deep in the loft)

Thanks

Edited by Keith T
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...