JMSDF Yushio

Ernie

I thought this would be a cool addition to the group build, and something a bit different. I had ordered it from Japan, and while waiting to start the OA-37 it arrived sooner than expected so here it is!

48362051667_311a6e33d7_b.jpg

It looks like it will be a nice straight forward build...

48361917611_2531ed1bf9_b.jpg

The Yushio class of 10 submarines were all commissioned in the decade between 1980 and 1990 and were in service until 2006. The Yushio was launched in March 1979  and commissioned February 1980, serving until March 1999 when she was decommissioned and then scrapped.  These were the first Japanese subs to have a teardrop hull shape, and were conventionally powered diesel electric boats.

• Like 8

A very welcome addition to the GB Ernie, our first submarine!

It's great to see a variety of subjects appearing in the GB and not just aircraft, speaking as someone who builds aircraft!

Subs are often dismissed as being easy to build but getting them to look right and weathered (if that is your taste) is very tricky.

Really looking forward to seeing this take shape.

• Like 1

Makes for a refreshing change ernie,  i agree with craig , tough colour to make interesting , but an interesting subject , I've always been drawn to those huge 72nd scale  u boat models but I've  never pulled the trigger on one, probably because it would have to be displayed on the ceiling (next to the wnw lanc when it comes out)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Colin W said:

There's always the trumpeter 1/48 Uboat. Enough to bring the ceiling down. 

Colin 

Thats the one of course col  ,not 72nd, it is  a big bugger

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...