This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
azureglo

Harrier Documentary on BBC iPlayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0077c0f/decisive-weapons-series-1-6-the-harrier-jumping-jet-flash

Just watched the Harrier doc on BBC 4 and its helped clear up why fighter jocks are different to most ordinary ,sane folk:

(paraphrased )

Voice of authority   : “You’re outnumbered 10 to 1, they’ve got 200 planes we’ve got 20”

Normal, rational person: “Holy crud on a cracker, that’s bad!”

Fighter pilot: “ Ooh, lots more planes to shoot down!”

If you’ve got iPlayer, worth it for the legends, Mr "Sharkey"  Ward and Mr Morgan…

We used to have a saying. If you're at a party, how do you know which bloke is the Harrier pilot? Just wait, he'll tell you.

Thanks for the heads up - downloading as I type!

Graham

On 7/23/2019 at 9:43 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

We used to have a saying. If you're at a party, how do you know which bloke is the Harrier pilot? Just wait, he'll tell you.

Well, considering how many accidents the Harrier's had in its time, I think that any surviving pilot has the right to brag a little. 

Chris. 

PS: I fully appreciate that all military aircraft have crashes, but some are a lot more "consistent" than others.

Just watched this on my lunch break... great show

On 7/28/2019 at 1:58 PM, spruecutter96 said:

PS: I fully appreciate that all military aircraft have crashes, but some are a lot more "consistent" than others.

Yes, as they used to say in West Germany during the 1960s and 1970s, if you wish to be the owner of an F-104 Starfighter, just buy a field and wait.

As a point-of-information relating to this, I believe that slightly over half of all F-105 Thunderchiefs ever built were lost in Vietnam. I think that they built around 1,000 airframes in total, across all the various models. We have to bear in mind here that the F-105 was used for several years in an extremely hostile environment (North Vietnam and "neighbouring" nations). The Harrier was used in the Falklands, parts of Eastern Europe, Afghanistan and Iraq. By comparison to Vietnam, these threat-environments were rather less hostile (but not safe, by any stretch-of-the-imagination).

Chris.