This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

bhouse

BBC 4 Planespotting Live - 23 July 2019

I was just flicking through the channels and discovered Planespotting Live, hosted by Andi Peters (?) and Peter Snow. I was immediately confronted by a woman with mad hair and an ersatz flying suit, explaining that jet engines worked by having "thousand of explosions every second and that's why they work at 60,000 - no, sorry, 30,000 feet".

???

Where do they find these experts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

And apparently the way to identify a 747-400 is that it has " four big engines and wingtips".

"Inform, Educate, Entertain".

0/3 so far, I'm afraid.

To be fair I guess they are catering to the uninitiated...but it is pretty cringy....can't say I spot aircraft but it cant do the hobby any favours ....good footage though presenters are so convincing lol

Junglie - the presenters have knowledge that is, truly, unique. For example, I have just been told that "carbon fibre is usually associated with children's toys - so how can it be used in aeroplanes?"

I believe that producing programmes to educate is what the BBC should be doing - but this is full of errors. 

I admire Peter Snow enormously. I do hope that this does not prove to be his swan song  

Presenting style more suitable for CBBC.  But CBBC is more organised.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Graham Boak said:

But CBBC is more organised.

And produced for a more intelligent audience, based on this nonsense.

Don’t believe everything you hear on the BBC. If they said told me Boris Johnson was the next PM I’d fall of my chair laughing....OW! That floor hurts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

13 minutes ago, bhouse said:

And produced for a more intelligent audience, based on this nonsense.

It's typical BBC 2019.  Ticks all their demographic boxes, but is economical with the truth.

Posted (edited)

When I saw the title I thought it was about woodworking tools.  :undecided:

Need to put brain in gear.  :analintruder:

Dick

Edited by jenko

10 hours ago, bhouse said:

And apparently the way to identify a 747-400 is that it has " four big engines and wingtips".

"Inform, Educate, Entertain".

0/3 so far, I'm afraid.

It’s a step training - next lesson is about differentiating it from 340, 380, Globemaster, Galaxy and Starlifter. Helped  enormously by the latter two being more or less extinct.

10 hours ago, bhouse said:

I was immediately confronted by a woman with mad hair and an ersatz flying suit, explaining that jet engines worked by having "thousand of explosions every second and that's why they work at 60,000 - no, sorry, 30,000 feet".

Welcome back, Carol Vorderman.

The BBC make this programme (and the equally cringeworthy Trainspotting live) in such a way as to justify employing ex footballers on huge salaries to talk about their nerdy subject.

I thought maybe the "propeller planes" might be explained but the opportunity was lost . This could and should have been a much better program than what we were given . With Andy Peters involved a CBB's slant seems inevitable. Good try BBC , but please try harder and don't dumb down any further.

Keith

Tonights exciting episode - short haul aircraft and military on Thursday.......could be interesting?

As Ed would say, commisioned & made by 12 year olds who know nothing. Cast your mind back to the coverage of  the Farnborough shows by the likes of Raymond Baxter & compare it to the drivel spouted by the post 11 plus generation.  You check out the TV schedules & think "I'll have to watch that" only to find out it's presented by somebody from Steps or, even worse, Chris Tarrant.

I put it on series link, even my wife said let’s give a go😲. We watched it all to give it a chance  and it was shocking tv. The series link has been cancelled and I won’t be watching another. Prof Magnus Pike (aka Peter Snow) was animated as usual and the self confessed aviation enthusiast Andy is actually a clever guy the way he plays to the camera, although I find him intolerable.

I bet James May turned it down.

Steve.

Check out sky watch RAF 1974 with Raymond.....maybe I should write a letter to the BBC ....which by the way I am a fan of....btw what football players were presenting?

1 hour ago, Britman said:

I thought maybe the "propeller planes" might be explained but the opportunity was lost 

I suspect we'd be told that they only have"hundreds of explosions a minute" and that's why they can't fly above 10000 feet .

It was probably the worst programme I've ever actually seen.

And that list includes "On The Buses".

4 hours ago, Britman said:

I thought maybe the "propeller planes" might be explained but the opportunity was lost . This could and should have been a much better program than what we were given . With Andy Peters involved a CBB's slant seems inevitable. Good try BBC , but please try harder and don't dumb down any further.

Keith

Keith;  is it possible to dumb it down any further??

Even our local sparrows were laughing at the program...………………………...… and they should know :D

Dick

Spotting is just like fishing, but it is less slippery...but that aside even in Holland we get the dumbest programs about planespotting with the sillyest people in it they could find along the runway....

cheers, Jan

I saw this - a terrible programme. Peter Snow looks as if he should be in a retirement home and appears to know next to nothing about aircraft. Andy Peters says he is an 'aviation geek', a phrase I have never heard of before, and when told there used to be a plane called  Focke Wulf, collapsed laughing obviously mistaking Focke for a similar sounding rude word. His aviation knowledge must be astounding. The ex BA pilot (sorry, I didn't get her name) seemed to know her stuff, but the materials scientist Zoe Laughlin looks like she should be forcibly dragged to a hair stylists and then a clothes shop. Her appearance will only confirm to the casual viewer that aircraft spotters are wierd.

Why they didn't get somebody like Tony Eastwood from AJ Aviation, or somebody similar involved, I don't know. I suppose we should be grateful they didn't have Greg Wallace presenting it.

As I always do for programmes like this I recorded it and watched it later which meant I could zap past the mad woman who had me wanting to reach for a gun within ten seconds of her first appearance.

I amused myself by counting the number of "diversity and inclusiveness" boxes the BBC ticked with this - an elderly token white man, the aforementioned mad woman, an ex-children's tv presenter of Afro-Caribbean extraction, a guy in a wheelchair (who is actually a pilot and an excellent tv presenter in his own right - in my view he should have been used in place of Peter Snow) and, to crown it all, a transgender ex-BA captain

Suffice it to say I will not be watching the second part tonight.