Fairford departures - 22nd July 2019 - re-posted correct images

Hi all, 

A few quick edits to give you the flavour of the day yesterday at the western end of Fairford's rather long runway! It was my first time, being an "Easterner" until now. The weather was okay, albeit a little cloudy at the start. It picked up as time went on, though.

For me Departure's day's attraction is being able to photograph all attending aircraft and seeing them in a more natural configuration, often very well tanked up :). 

As many that went know the much anticipated departure of the LanceRs fell flat with a reasonably high early morning departure in the gloom that offered little scope for photography.

There was a lot of opportunity for different angles. As the day went on things picked up On the weather front and it ended up as a very enjoyable day. 

So, here goes, in order of the day....

DSA_1759

DSA_1817

DSA_1889

DSA_1915

DSA_1957

DSA_1980

DSA_2073

DSA_2099

DSA_2111

DSA_2125

DSA_2145

DSA_2178

DSA_2197

DSA_2209

DSA_2403

DSA_2238-2

DSA_2258

DSA_2283

DSA_2288

DSA_2352

DSA_2425

DSA_2477

DSA_2497

DSA_2517

DSA_2555

DSA_2583

I hope you like them.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
changed to correct images
  • Like 14

Some great close-up shots there. You either have a b. good camera lens or you were in the right spot......or both !

I should know the name of the Russian transport, but it's slipped my memory........Helpppp.....!!!

Rog

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, roginoz said:

Some great close-up shots there. You either have a b. good camera lens or you were in the right spot......or both !

I should know the name of the Russian transport, but it's slipped my memory........Helpppp.....!!!

Rog

Hi mate!

Its an IL-76 :). THanks for the comments. :)

M

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Thanks for posting these, Martin. I had to leave early so it was great to see your images of the Pakistan AF C-130 and the B-52.

Rog, the Ukrainian transport is an Il-76.

Yes, mate, we stayed around - with many others - watching the B-52 being towed across the runway. Eventually it got away close to 5 o'clock!

M

More lovely shots!   That Beech again is a bit of a mystery. Certainly a later version.  Love all the special schemes like those on the Hunter, RAF Puma German EFA / Typhoon and the Danish F-16   

I think I have been starved of seeing all this modern hardware for not having been to Fairford since 1998. Despite the boring grey shades on nearly everything nowadays

2 minutes ago, Paul J said:

More lovely shots!   That Beech again is a bit of a mystery. Certainly a later version.  Love all the special schemes like those on the Hunter, RAF Puma German EFA / Typhoon and the Danish F-16   

I think I have been starved of seeing all this modern hardware for not having been to Fairford since 1998. Despite the boring grey shades on nearly everything nowadays

I agree, Paul, the wealth of grey is keeping grey paint sales up! ;). Centralised maintenance, ease of application and commonality all play their part. Seriously, though, it is the way things are but like me, you recall the great days of the 1960s(?), 70s and 80s when there was some variety in types and colour schemes. I'm really not a fan of the commmemorative additions to these aircraft either but they are a feature nowadays. Give me an operational, test or standard scheme scheme, with a bit of grime here and there, and I'm very happy :)

Thanks for looking!

Martin

• Like 3

@paulj I'm not really a Phantom fan but they were so nice to see! :)

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

PS  Also like the Piaggio I-FENI.  Quite a rarity these days.

It was odd how it leaned left and then right, as it was taxying

Those are great photos! I was there yesterday but sat in the FRIAT stand as I've done the east end before but found you get a lot of shots of exhausts and incredible heat haze. I'd never really considered the west end as I was always under the impression that the vast majority of stuff gets up too high by then now that air traffic insist on standard departures. However, your photos have proved my assumption wrong as you've got loads of good shots. The F-4 taxiing shots are great and so is the Il-76 departing but, my favourites are the P-3 and CP-140 as I didn't get chance to photograph them airborne. The problem with the FRIAT stand is that everything passes there very close and at high speed. This requires great panning skills and with the congested stand and my lack of skill it isn't all that successful for me.

Anyway, again, great shots and well done hanging on for the Buff - and well done to RIAT for letting us all stay until it departed (and my wife who was fine when I got home about three hours later than promised!)

Edited by Filler
Spotted that I'd annoyingly typed the wrong 'there'.

2 hours ago, Filler said:

The problem with the FRIAT stand is that everything passes their very close and at high speed.

Definetly, and you end up with very similar looking images of everything. I did the "grandstand" last year and vowed never to do it again. Of course, it suits some. The congestion, as you say, is another issue. Last year we were constantly - and I mean constantly - troubled by people moving around despite it being against the policy. The attendant staff were, as seems the norm nowadays, reluctant to do much about it. As a result panning became very broken. :(. Of course, for that "pleasure" you pay through the nose. Again, it suits some. Each to their own and, as is evident, some get some great shots. 

2 hours ago, Filler said:

well done to RIAT for letting us all stay until it departed

Absolutely! 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

8 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Definetly, and you end up with very similar looking images of everything. I did the "grandstand" last year and vowed never to do it again. Of course, it suits some. The congestion, as you say, is another issue. Last year we were constantly - and I mean constantly - troubled by people moving around despite it being against the policy. The attendant staff were, as seems the norm nowadays, reluctant to do much about it. As a result panning became very broken. :(. Of course, for that "pleasure" you pay through the nose. Again, it suits some. Each to their own and, as is evident, some get some great shots. 

Absolutely! 

Martin

To be fair, as you said, some do get great shots from there. The guy next to me seemed to be doing very well - nicely exposed and sharp panning shots. So I am sure my dodgy photos owe a lot more to my inferior skills than where I am.

• Haha 1

Not really an aviation buff these days but always like to look at the photos that people post here just to see how aviation has changed since my days.

Got a bit of a surprise when the Pig appeared...took me back to Luton in the sixties! Had to do some googling when you posted your first set to find out what the modern Pig lookalike was as I was not aware they were still in business or doing a 21st Century version!

Thanks for the great pics.

23 minutes ago, Kiwidave4 said:

Not really an aviation buff these days but always like to look at the photos that people post here just to see how aviation has changed since my days.

Got a bit of a surprise when the Pig appeared...took me back to Luton in the sixties! Had to do some googling when you posted your first set to find out what the modern Pig lookalike was as I was not aware they were still in business or doing a 21st Century version!

Thanks for the great pics.

Pig, Dave? In my day the Pig was the 737!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

4 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Lovely shots: I need to talk to you about cameras!

Thanks Duncan @Sabrejet :). I'm pleased you like them. 

Cameras? I'll help you if I can! Within the scope of my knowledge :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Pig, Dave? In my day the Pig was the 737!

Martin

In the Courtline hangar the Brittania 737's were sausage bombers! Its a while now but seem to remember it was Airwork who were the Piaggio agents. Having just arrived from the Antipodes they were the first - and last! - Piaggios I had seen. 

• Like 1

Nice to see a couple of Orion's on show! I totally missed the Puma when I went on Saturday, but I didn't 'do' the static until after the flying finished and I guess I overlooked it!

On 25 July 2019 at 5:02 PM, F-32 said:

Nice to see a couple of Orion's on show! I totally missed the Puma when I went on Saturday, but I didn't 'do' the static until after the flying finished and I guess I overlooked it!

Yes, mate, the Puma nearly caught me outwhen it left. It just zipped through a few shafts of muted sunlight to add a little colour to the shot. I agree about the Onions. A great sight and sound. 140112 departed Yeovilton after that show and I was at Barrington Court when it barrelled over on departure. A fantastic sound!

Martin

Thanks for putting those up for those of us who couldn't make it Martin @RidgeRunner, I'm mightliy impressed by the Norwegian F-16B in the D-day Commemorative scheme, not too hard to replicate either if I can't find anyone doing it, as long as I can paint some straight red white & blue stripes.

Steve.

• Like 1

Great photos all round Martin.

I have done the grandstand and west end on occasions and as has been commented, the grandstand photos all tend to be "samey". Sometimes it is good to move around and even just use a fixed focal length lens to try to get something different, so very well done. 

A note to all would be to remember that a good camera and lens does not make a good photo, it just increases the possibility. The real skill is spotting the picture and using your personal skills to capture it.

If you see someone doing what appears to be a better job, ask them how they do it and then practice, practice, practice!! People are always happy to help if you ask nicely,

Andy

6 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Great photos all round Martin.

I have done the grandstand and west end on occasions and as has been commented, the grandstand photos all tend to be "samey". Sometimes it is good to move around and even just use a fixed focal length lens to try to get something different, so very well done. 

A note to all would be to remember that a good camera and lens does not make a good photo, it just increases the possibility. The real skill is spotting the picture and using your personal skills to capture it.

If you see someone doing what appears to be a better job, ask them how they do it and then practice, practice, practice!! People are always happy to help if you ask nicely,

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I agree completely about the camera and lenses. Simplicity is sometimes the key. I like different compositions, and not always the whole machine. Different subjects, different angles, Colour and monochrome, slow speed-fast speed, static-airborne, etc etc. Of course, it depends on your drivers for photography. Some are simple happy to record something and that is absolutely fine. Each to their own and we have a varied world! :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner