Spray booths

NickP

It won't be. Cheap, regular fans will barely do anything, especially if you put a filter in front of them. You'd need professional fans (like Sunon), and with the money those would cost you can probably buy a booth.

I was just thinking about getting one, but when I saw they were £80.00 and over, I thought, A cardboard box is pretty cheap.

Buy a respirator for £15.00 and Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your Aunt!

Edited by JockMcPlock

47 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

The cardboard box will only make it worse. All the fumes will be trapped inside and because of the airbrush's airflow they'll be pushed back towards your face. 

Hence the respirator, but we all die sometime, you might as well go doing something you enjoy.

"Bob died today making a scale model" 

Heard on the evening news... never.

Spray booths are still a big bag of worms, these are the options as I see them. 

When I checked into the options many years ago what became obvious is that if it's not fit for purpose and you get a sparks from the motor then your insurance probably wouldn't cover any damage from the flashback or any sort of fire.    

The logical choices when spraying (as I see it ), are;

1 Use nothing let the over spray go into the room. - Management usually complains in the short to medium term.

2 Cardboard box to catch the over spray - cheap and easily replaced.

3 Cheap Chinese extractor.  (around the £100 mark)

They usually state not to be used with anything flammable and leave on for 10 minutes after use to clear the room. 

Usually don't clear the air as they go, so spray and fumes build up in the room. 

Check if  your house insurance will cover any damage caused

4 Build your own from a cooker hood or fan you have around. 

Check the certification of the hood, oils/fats are caught by a pre-filter, they are not usually certified to clear flammable vapours

Again check your house insurance will cover any damage caused.

5 Buy a fit for purpose booth, sealed motor rated for flammable material, that will do the job properly, cost around £300. 

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/graphicair-a300s-d-11995-p.asp

Which you go for depends on your budget and your risk level.

Options 3 &4  are obviously less of an issue if you are in a garden shed, rather than in your house.

I went with the last option when I started modelling again 20+years ago, it's still going strong & has a lifetime warranty, so long term cost per year is low.

Paul

22 minutes ago, JockMcPlock said:

Hence the respirator, but we all die sometime, you might as well go doing something you enjoy.

"Bob died today making a scale model" 

Heard on the evening news... never.

I'd rather not die from cancer, but hey, to each his own. A few pieces of plywood, a brushless fan, some LED bulbs and a few other stuff (wiring, screws, switches etc) will cost you what? 50 pounds? And the booth will last for many years.

• Like 1

You can make your own filters at a fraction of the price (70p) for the graphic air. You'll probably void the 10yr warranty but it's a fan in a box so apart from the switch and motor not much to go wrong anyway.

They wouldn't give a 10yr warranty if they were likely parts to fail in the first place.

£18 or 70p for the same material purchased on a roll of 10m x 740mm which will do 40 filters

8 minutes ago, colin said:

You can make your own filters at a fraction of the price (70p) for the graphic air. You'll probably void the 10yr warranty but it's a fan in a box so apart from the switch and motor not much to go wrong anyway.

They wouldn't give a 10yr warranty if they were likely parts to fail in the first place.

£18 or 70p for the same material purchased on a roll of 10m x 740mm which will do 40 filters

I thought it was a lifetime warranty ??  Or have they changed them recently.

Sorry, lifetime warranty so long as you use their filters and make a written note of when they are replaced and how often,what materials you spray, so as with most manufacturers it's a get out clause for not covering the part as warranty when it fails I find

17 hours ago, Guy with a Beer said:

I'm thinking of setting up a couple of computer fans to battery packs, with a ventilation pipe to point of out of the window to upgrade my booth. 

Before I go cutting holes in my booth, does anybody have any thoughts on how effective this might be, or have you tried it out already and can impart some words of wisdom.

Not 100% sure but will computer fans be big enough/powerful enough to drag out the fumes? The fan in my Graphic-air A300sd is a lot bigger than a computer fan..

FWIW

I used twin PC fans for a number of years, they did the job ... eventually ... but I upgraded a couple of year back to this:

https://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/manrose-mf100t-4-inch-inline-duct-fan-with-timer-247-p.asp

Seemed to be the best bang for the buck (no pun intended). And it's pretty quiet as well. You need to know basic electrics though (like how to wire a plug) as no mains lead is supplied. I've used cellulose, enamel and acrylic thinners through it and it hasn't blown up on me yet (the PC fans didn't go bang either). Mind you, I've been a very occasional modeller for the last 3 years and nowt for the last year so I haven't tested it to the full.

My setup is

contiboard spray booth 34"x22"x18" (W/D/H). Then inside the booth:

small box which holds a filter (standard cooker hood filter) attached to a short piece of hose which allows me to move the filter box to the best location in the booth. then connected to:

extractor fan to:
another hose to:
vent through open window

One thing I will mention is the vent pipe (tumble dryer hose) needs to be as straight as possible, as any bends/corners hinders the flow rate

EDIT, thought it'd be best to show you the booth filter box in situ, easier to see than explain

booth.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Quick question. 

I used to have a spray booth mounted into my room window, but as i am living on 6th floor and that side gets the headwind 7/24, fumes cant be extracted properly. So i came up with this funny idea. 

What if I buy a booth, and connect the  output hose into a closed box or something which will trap the particles and stuff. Would it work? 

On 16/08/2019 at 10:51, colin said:

Hi Colin, 

Where do you get your filter material from ?  Is it easily available? 

Kind Regards

Dan 

38 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Hi Colin, 

Kind Regards

Dan 

It will void the lifetime warranty.    I've had mine for over 20 years and still going strong, filters currently £18 each, last most people at least a year, so not a major cost.  

Bilge pumps.  Easy.   They are designed to suck explosive fumes out of boats, and as such have plenty of oomph to suck with.  Come in a range of diameters and airflow, are plentiful and more importantly, cheap.

I used a couple of sheets of thin ply, a furnace filter, some flexible duct, and a bilge pump.  Probably cost me around $35 all in.

It's been running for several years now and does a great job

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hendie said:

Bilge pumps.  Easy.   They are designed to suck explosive fumes out of boats, and as such have plenty of oomph to suck with.  Come in a range of diameters and airflow, are plentiful and more importantly, cheap.

I used a couple of sheets of thin ply, a furnace filter, some flexible duct, and a bilge pump.  Probably cost me around $35 all in.

It's been running for several years now and does a great job

Could you please provide a link? Bilge pumps which I found were all to suck out water. Probably this is a naming thing, but I don't know what I am looking for in German.

4 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Could you please provide a link? Bilge pumps which I found were all to suck out water. Probably this is a naming thing, but I don't know what I am looking for in German.

my apologies, I wrote Bilge Pump when I should have written bilge blower

here's the one I bought from Amazon

• Thanks 2

On 10/31/2019 at 10:39 AM, Dads203 said:

Hi Colin, 

Kind Regards

Dan 

From here, other places available

https://www.spcb.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

I wouldn't worry about the lifetime warranty as you'll probably save enough using these than the Graphics in a few years to buy another anyway.

Lifetime warranty, how do you prove other than keeping all the receipts and dates you changed the filters and supply said to graphic air in say 10years time, as in their small print about the lifetime warranty no doubt

Can't see one Graphic filter lasting 12 months, that's one reason I changed to my own

The prices have gone up since I got mine so probably £1 a filter now

21 hours ago, colin said:

From here, other places available

https://www.spcb.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

I wouldn't worry about the lifetime warranty as you'll probably save enough using these than the Graphics in a few years to buy another anyway.

Lifetime warranty, how do you prove other than keeping all the receipts and dates you changed the filters and supply said to graphic air in say 10years time, as in their small print about the lifetime warranty no doubt

Can't see one Graphic filter lasting 12 months, that's one reason I changed to my own

The prices have gone up since I got mine so probably £1 a filter now

Thanks Colin, that’s very much appreciated 👍