Dennis, there's no need to actually measure, a simple comparison using a pair of draughting dividers to span one side then offer up to the other will give an answer. If a measurement is needed, cheap digital vernier calipers are available - mine cost me $25 20 years ago and are accurate to. 02mm, which is small enough for me! They're not Mitutoyos, and I wouldn't use them for critical work, but they do for modelling purposes, and I'm sure that the same thing is now available much cheaper. Have a look at Harbor Freight or whatever other cheap auto supply place you have nearby.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Mmmm I look at them and they look the same then in the same instant does look top heavy but then immediately they look the same again. Like a trick of the eye or the curvature of the fuselage.

That maybe what it is.

It was certainly not my intention to cause Dennis any trouble with my observation.

AW

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andwil said:

That maybe what it is.

It was certainly not my intention to cause Dennis any trouble with my observation.

AW

No trouble here its just a hard thing to determine as the top/bottom are so close in size. I appreciate all of the input. Thats why i usually finish off my posts with the "questions, comments, or thoughts" line. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hey Dennis,

If it worries you, align a post it note to the the edges of the 8 so that it touches the out sides edges.  Do the same to the other side.  Effectively you will have extrapolated any variance at top and bottom - this will make it easier to measure.  

Alternately edit the image so that you can only see the 8 post it both ways up that way you get rid of anything causing an optical illusion, if they look the same then it's just an optical illusion.

Either way, it looks OK to me..  Good job..

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Hey Dennis,

If it worries you, align a post it note to the the edges of the 8 so that it touches the out sides edges.  Do the same to the other side.  Effectively you will have extrapolated any variance at top and bottom - this will make it easier to measure.  

Alternately edit the image so that you can only see the 8 post it both ways up that way you get rid of anything causing an optical illusion, if they look the same then it's just an optical illusion.

Either way, it looks OK to me..  Good job..

Thank you for the ok. Actually both good ideas i will have to give it a try. Honestly it doesn't really worry me, but now i am curious after all of the discussion. 

Next up will be his Fw.190A3 "double chevron cross bar"  from late spring/early summer '42. h01NA3k.png

iVBSYF4.jpg

These are the best photo's i can find from the web. They're from a Russian modeling site. Unfortunately i cant read Cyrillic so i cant tell you which one ?  I have one more from "WW2aircraft.net", sadly cannot find the link for it. XSP4Kxg.png

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello Cousin !!

Great job, I'm in my service car, so I can't see the pics !

I love the idea of related builds !!

I do the same... With Günther Lützow, Roland P. Beamont, Clive "Killer" Caldwell, Charles Yeager, Hans U. Rudel and robin Olds

Hope that I will live long enough to do that !! :rofl2:

Since I also units related builds like the Jolly Rogers from VF-17 to VF-103, RAF 112th Sqdn, FAA 800 Sqdn.

I'll look in my files if I have "Pips" decals. I think so, if yes, I'll send it if yu need it, Knowing that I mainly have 1/48 kits !

Seemingly, he was a great guy !

Hope that you get better, don't alk about familly issues, I cleared it on my side...

In a radical way, but is this stunning from me ?? I no longer see or talk to them. Case closed !

And whatever they told about me is no longer a matter !!

Kharma always win !!

So Congrats !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

I'll look in my files if I have "Pips" decals. I think so, if yes, I'll send it if yu need it, Knowing that I mainly have 1/48 kits !

Hello Cousin many thanks for the Decal offer, it is greatly appreciated as i will be using both scales for these builds. Maybe i will even consider breaking my 1/32 rule for one of them ?  For families i agree i talk to those that respect me and that i like, the rest can go somewhere I cant mention here. Yes 110% karma is a witch, and they will get what they work so hard to achieve. They will be alone in life someday and wondering why no one is there to talk to them. I have a few pilots besides pips that i like and will do. Same goes for units as well. VMF-214, VF-74, VF-84, VF-111, VF-143 to name a few. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Hello as promised phase two begins today. I will be using this kit. 

mfNTqA2.jpg

Being a Tamiya kit it is pretty straight forward to build, and after 90 minutes i have this done.  

GbmoWZl.jpg

2BPZGla.jpg

7nqaLPU.jpg

I also have the majority of things pre-painted like landing gear bays, struts, & small things like that. Questions, comments, or thoughts.  

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

hello Cousin !

Here are the 2 Priller's bird that I have !

WP_20190814_23_47_00_Pro

And you may be consider buying this little decal sheet

There's another one with kill markings and other insignia Methink !

WP_20190814_23_49_39_Pro

if the focke wulf decals are of use, PM me !

Great work on your Anton !

Funny Wevelghem is in Belgium, I get there month ago...

sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Hello everyone... Well i finally got time to do some work today. Im actually all done with sanding and scribing. No filler needed on this kit. 

GDoCOub.jpg

CkRhGHq.jpg

B0OwYYy.jpg

I will mix up some RLM76 over the next day or two and hit this up with a base coat. Need to order the RLM74/75 as I'm all out of the colors right now. Will be placing an order next Monday or Tuesday so that will be good timing. Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello cousin,

You're luckier than me, My Tamiya focke needed some filler

Not as much as the Skyknight but...

Decals are on their way to your castle !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Many apologies folks lots if life getting in the way with this. I will get into the paint shop in a couple of days so not to long for updates. This is the next in my line-up for construction. vOpbFxN.jpg

Any questions, comments, or thoughts about the kit let me know ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello All... Well i was finally able to do some work today. I got to try the new Iwata out. All i can say is WOW... I was able to spray four colors on four models in about 60 minutes. So quick to work with and change colors. My older Iwata a suction feed. Which will still be used to do larger areas of color or larger models. The big problem with it is the fact i have to mix up paints in larger batches and store it. So anyways i was able to spray the RLM 76 on the A3 today.  a3aqWQY.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Really smooth RLM 76 application.

I once had a Luftwaffe block because I couldn't understand why RLM 76 was called light blue but always saw it as a light grey. Anyways, I began painting with RLM 65 all my 1941 onwards Luftwaffe models since I came back.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I once had a Luftwaffe block because I couldn't understand why RLM 76 was called light blue but always saw it as a light grey. Anyways, I began painting with RLM 65 all my 1941 onwards Luftwaffe models since I came back.

Thank you for the compliment. There has been some great debate's and arguments over the years concerning the color. So you're not wrong in using the RLM 65 for your builds. I myself normally mix my own, and use RLM 65 with some light grey thrown in to just offset it from the 65. Though I'm using Ammo by mig RLM 76 for this build to see if i like it, it really isn't to far off what i mix so not to bad. I wound up touching up the wheel bays tonight. HN6d5mA.jpg

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone... Just finished my 2nd session and i got the RLM75 sprayed tonight. Its a little off because i used flash to get a better photo. wuz64fo.jpg

kcGdfQ8.jpg

U6LY16n.jpg

Took care of a few of the mottles on the tail while i was at it. Questions, comments, and or good stories ? 

Dennis

• Like 5

That AB does do a nice job. Love the colour and smooth silkiness enjoying this thread so much

I think of RLM 65 and 78 as bright blue compared to threatened with blue 76. I really only use Tamiya rattle can AS-5 for Luftwaffe blue, unless it’s a specific researched to show the desert bright blue 78, where il use Hataka’s blue series brush paint.

• Like 2

Hi Dennis mate, I don't know how well it shows up on my BF109 build pics but I used mig ammo light blue. How do you find the mig ammo airbrush paints I think they are a god send, no smell easy to clean up and dry smooth as silk. I did find their RLM 02 a bit to green so I mixed it 50/50 with the light blue to achieve what I considered the right RLM 02 colour 

Edited by Joel Abery
Add more to comment
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joel Abery said:

How do you find the mig ammo airbrush paints I think they are a god send, no smell easy to clean up and dry smooth as silk. I did find their RLM 02 a bit to green

Ive been using Mig paints for a couple of years alongside of Vallejo and Tamiya. I like them and the color palette is better than Tamiya. Im not the biggest fan of mixing colors, but Tamiya makes it necessary so will do if i need to. Its funny you should mention the RLM02. Ive thought that myself but then again i know that RLM02 faded real fast as it was originally only meant for interior use. So mixing in grey or blue might just get you the faded look associated with RLM02.

I very much preferred the older Gunze Sangyo colors. Truthfully I would kill for a time machine to go back and buy a completely filled paint rack of them. Almost 200 colors which sprayed like liquid gold, and dried harder than Tamiya or anything available now. 

• Like 2

Hello everyone... I took a couple of day's off due to some bug i caught. Im still not 100% but good enough to due the next session on my work. I sprayed the RLM74 today. I think it looks ok maybe a hair to green for what i expected. However that seems to be the consensus on the color so who am i to argue. 

vscz2Xg.jpg

Mottling on the tail is complete but still need to go back tomorrow or Tuesday and do the mottling on the fuselage sides. ePzsi5s.jpg

HGuzdeT.jpg

Please if you have any questions or comments or feel the need to share thoughts, by all means please do so.

Dennis

• Like 5