Hello everyone... Ive been wanting to do this for a number of years. I have a few favorite pilots from WW2 and other era's as I'm sure we all do. My favorite Luftwaffe pilot was Josef "Pip's" Priller, not because he was German or serving the Nazi's. However he was a good pilot that seemed to care more about his men, than politics and the General's in Luftwaffe high-command. Much the same reason i admire Gregory Boyington. Recently i was helping a couple of members including @Valkyrie, who were building Prillers D-Day Focke-Wulf.  

I was inspired to start a thread and ask questions about Priller's Bf-109F's and his Fw Dora. 

This in turn inspired me to start a long term project. I will be attempting to build every major variant of aircraft that Priller flew from 1939 until 1945. This will include three Bf-109's an E1, E3, E7, two Bf-109F's an F2 & F4, and at least five versions of the Fw-190 starting with an A2 and ending with a D9. I started the build a couple of weeks ago with an 1/72 Airfix Bf-109E4 that i am converting to an E7. The project will cover both 1/72 & 1/48 scales as i have decals in both scales. These builds will not be in order but as i acquire the kits. My second build will be a Tamiya Fw-190A3. 

A quick look at Josef Priller's biography before moving onto the build. This is taken from his Wiki page. 

"Josef "Pips" Priller (German: [ˈpʁɪlɐ]; 27 July 1915 – 20 May 1961) was a German military aviator and wing commander in the Luftwaffe during World War II. As a fighter ace, all of his victories were claimed over the Western Front. 

"Aerial victory claims"

"Priller flew 307 combat missions to claim 101 victories. All his victories were recorded over the Western Front, and consisted of 11 USAAF heavy bombers, 68 Spitfires (the highest Luftwaffe ace's tally for this type), 11 Hurricanes, five medium bombers and five USAAF fighters. Matthews and Foreman, authors of Luftwaffe Aces — Biographies and Victory Claims, researched the German Federal Archives and found records for 100 aerial victory claims, plus three further unconfirmed claims. All of his victories were claimed on the Western Front and includes ten four-engined bombers."

So in conclusion you can watch me trip and fall and look like a fool. Or if I'm lucky you can watch me build Ten aircraft over the next year or so, and enjoy the builds ? Now lets bring you up to speed on the 109E7. This ⬇️ Is before painting started last Friday, next to my Mexican Air force P-47D. 

NShRCTC.jpg

I have modified the propeller to give it the pointed cap and added the drop tank and its mount. Over the weekend i sprayed the RLM65

oKWWqCO.jpg

F4URene.jpg

jfYbukO.jpg

Sunday i sprayed the RLM02. 

EdtARcK.jpg

And today i sprayed the RLM71. 

bhvzAHv.jpg

hYR6mLY.jpg

rJFcYBm.jpg

Again this could be the ultimate trip and fall, or a decent success. Please feel free to join and follow along, or check in from time to time ? In conclusion let me say please feel free to ask questions, comment, or give me any info on Priller that you may have. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Evening everyone... Well i started on the mottling for this. The two profiles i have don't show much. The three photo's i have are even harder to discern. They are taken under a camouflage net in a revetment and in shadow. Im going with what i can see and guess as well as using a small leap of faith that he used a similar mottling to his 109E3. 

nG45vZy.jpg

So i went with a field mixed grey serpentine mottles on the wings. Then some diagonal banding on the fuselage. 

0FEZJnj.jpg

gsBKmdN.jpg

These will be added to with a few mottles of RLM02 & RLM71 sprayed over the sides of the aircraft. Questions, comments, or thoughts ? Progress will slow down for a few days due to a family obligation. I have a memorial to attend for an Uncle. Please no condolences as we hadn't gotten along in a very long time. I go more for familial reasons than sorrow. 

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone... My apologies for any delays on this. I attended a family Memorial on Sunday and became very ill and close to going to hospital while there. Im just taking a few days off to recover and then i will be back at it

Dennis

• Sad 3

Thanks @Andwil & @Sturmovik I suffer from the usual ailments. However i also suffer from something called Cholinergic-urticaria. I've posted a link to the explanation as it may better explain it than i could. Long and short of it is i got super heated and almost blacked out with violent nausea. I was already starting to go into distress, when my daughter insisted we leave. Ultimately against the wishes of the rest of my family we did leave. Currently things are very unhappy and cold on the family front, because some of them never believed me. I have told them all over the last 10 years that i suffered from this condition, and they all thought it was made up. Sorry to be a bit of downer but i figured id give an explanation. I should be back tomorrow I'm just relaxing today. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/skin-disorders/cholinergic-urticaria

Dennis

• Like 3

What a horrible sounding ailment.  On the bright side, if you’ll forgive me making light of it, it looks like modelling may be the best treatment for it!

AW 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about your health concerns and your family situation. Glad to hear you’re feeling better though!

I’ve read a bit about Pips, interesting career post-WWII. I've got two special edition Hasegawa kits, a Bf 109 and an FW 190 with the BMW, both come with a Pips figure. Since I don’t need two Pips in my case, if you’d like one you can have it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great progress on this exciting project on #1. I think we are all in for a years course on Priller and how to work shop. Family the one thing you can’t change and at least you went to the event and tried to stay, making the effort! You did your bit to suffer, attend and contribute, the rest is their issue and you shouldn’t think on it any longer. 

Paint job looks great I cannot wait to see decals. So this is an E-4? Battle of Britain? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Paint job looks great I cannot wait to see decals. So this is an E-4? Battle of Britain? 

Thanks for the compliments and well wishes. You are correct in that you can't choose family. Im already beyond there condemnation and over it. No this is actually going to be an E-7. I'm using the newer Airfix E4 kit for my base. Visually there wasn't much differences between the two types. Except the addition of the pointed nose cap on the spinner, and the mount for the drop-tank. Ive added both. I had this kit to hand otherwise i would've used the Tamiya E-7. As for his other B.O.B. 109 it was an E-3 and i didn't have the correct early type canopy to backdate this kit nor the butcher bird decal in 1/72.  

For my future builds it will most likely be Eduard over-tree kits for the 109E-1 and E-3 in 1/48th as i have decals for both planes in that scale. His Bf-109F-2 and F-4 will both be Eduard over-tree kits in 1/48th. The next build will be his Fw-190A-3 in 1/72. I have the Tamiya kit and decals already. The Fw-190A-2/4/5/6/8 will all be Eduard over-trees kits as I'm planning on buying A/M Luftwaffe number and unit badge decal sheets. Im not sure if they will be in 1/48 or 1/72 yet, depends on which sheets are available but more likely than not they will be 1/48. The Fw-190D-9 will be done using either the 1/72 Tamiya kit or the 1/48 Eduard kit, just depends on which decal set i have for it. Im thinking more like 18 months overall. A year is doable if everything falls in place, and i can purchase everything relatively soon.

Everything will get done though just a matter of timing. Im planning on doing a similar build for Gregory Boyington in the future, though that will only cover 5 aircraft from 1936 to 1944. I will be doing his P-40 for the P-40 group build. Its seems ive gone and droned on about a lot my apologies. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Morning everyone... Well I've started on the next stage, the decals. Not to bad i have a 2nd session tomorrow to finish off the Swastikas and stencils. 

C0sGMzk.jpg

BN5vcyx.jpg

C6a5iWO.jpg

The card, JG-26 Schlageter shield, and kill marks are a bit oversized but i can live with them. pWMZ9Js.jpg

yE54hTm.jpg

Yes i need to trim the kill marks need trimming as well. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Im gearing up for the next build the Fw-190A3, now I'm pretty sure they were the Standard RLM-74/75/76 scheme. However there is some discussions that the early A2 & A3's were in the RLM-71/02 with the bellies in RLM-65 or 76? I can see the A2's in that scheme but not so sure on the A3's. Anyone have thoughts on that ?

Dennis

• Like 2

Coming together well Dennis.

Sorry about your health problems and I really hope you feel better soon.  Anybody who reacts to your health problems in that way isn't worth staying close to (unfortunately you can't choose you family), don't stress over them, they'll either come round or they won't, there is nothing you can do about it so don't let it worry you, it's their problem not yours..

I love collection themes rather than random builds.  My collection (all 1/48) was originally based on one Fleet Air Arm fighter type flown by a FAA Ace (based on the Osprey book) c.8 aircraft.  It has kind of morphed into aircraft (FAA and RAF) that FAA aces scored their victories in.  I'm about 16 aircraft into a 30ish build programme some of which the identity is currently unknown (hoping the both Lee Howard & Ian Gazley do some of my research for me).  Should see me until I turn up my toes...

Great start to your collection, TBH I can tell the differences between the major types of Me & FW but never got into the subtypes and I don't know much about Pips so, I'm looking forward to you educating me on your journey..

Good luck with your collection...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello all... Well decals are done. Ive got to wonder what they were thinking ? Airfix didn't include the swastika's so i used a spare set of Eduards, I think from a 190 kit.

y7bDaJr.jpg

50DSu8y.jpg

UifUqL0.jpg

They're huge and look way oversized but they're the smallest i have in my files. Oh well they're done and I'm on to doing the small stuff.  Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello everyone... Well the E7 is almost done. In between decals and everything else i managed to get the wheels and such finished and mounted. 

Wa88sgh.jpg

o4XF1n4.jpg

DhytQPI.jpg

U044ldz.jpg

WWYeKxZ.jpg

8g9rVPN.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? If all goes well i should make a start on the Fw-190A3 this weekend. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Looking really good.  One thing though, those eights are troubling me, to my eye there’s something odd about them, like they might just be upside down, the bottom o looks smaller than the top o if you get my drift.  Of course that may the way they’re meant to be or it’s just my eyes.

AW

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andwil said:

One thing though, those eights are troubling me, to my eye there’s something odd about them, like they might just be upside down, the bottom o looks smaller than the top

No i understand and had a heck a time trying to figure it out myself when i was placing the decals. They were so close in size on the paper. i finally thought i had it right, but maybe i goofed. I cant quite tell in person looking at them right now either. As they were the only white 8's i had i cant fix them. 

Mmmm I look at them and they look the same then in the same instant does look top heavy but then immediately they look the same again. Like a trick of the eye or the curvature of the fuselage.

I like the nice sheen, that underside paint looks lovely too Dennis

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Like a trick of the eye or the curvature of the fuselage.

That could be also, if i had something that could measure sub-millimeter measurements. I would probably be able to see the size differences ? But as it sits i think they're just too close to eyeball the size. Does anyone make a flat ruler that works like a micrometer ? Because these are flat a micrometer wouldn't work decals are in two dimensions not three.