what ratio alclad II semi matte to gloss to move from 3/10 to 5/10 sheen ?n ?

Merlin

Hi,

let me explain, alclad ll klear kote semi matte sprayed out is 3/10 on my imaginary scale, with 0 being matt and 10 being gloss. I want 5/10.

so what ratio of semi matte to their klear kote gloss should I make up to get 5/10 in theory.

i.e what will it take to shift it from 3/10 to 5/10, a nice mathematical puzzle perhaps.

lets also say I wanted 6/10 again what is the maths step by step ?

Merlin

Hey Merlin, I think the only way you're going to be able to match your imaginary scale is to do some experimenting. Get a set of plastic spoons, prime/paint them, then spray your matte/gloss mix at different ratios. Write down what ratios match closest to your 5/10 and 6/10 and you have an easily repeatable ratio for the future. 

I just mist on Mr Super UV CUT III Matt til it looks right but I guess you're trying for repeatability so here's an obvious suggestion that you've probably done 

If Klear Kote Gloss         = 10 Shinies

then Klear Kote Matte    = 0 Shinies

Then  it's simply a case of getting some cheapo ebay scales and mixing the right ratios by weight?

That's how our car body guys do it especially for topcoating solid  colors on things like old Bristols where the customer asks for lustre not high shine.

Cheers

Anil

Hi, I was just after the math , yes if matt 0 and gloss 10 then satin as in 5 would be 50/50

but if my bottle of semi matte is 4 and gloss is 10 it was what ratio of gloss to the semi matt do I add to get 5/10

I reckon the math is 1 unit progression out of a scale of 10 is 0.1 so if using 10 ml of semi matte that is 10ml x 0.1 = 1ml so add 1ml gloss to 10ml semi matte to get it to move from 4/10 to 5/10

Am I right ?

and light sheen might be it though if semi matte is 4/10 then I would expect another product light sheen would have a couple of steps diffference and probably be 6/10.

I also discovered a couple of WET coats managed to get the semi matte to 6/10 so being heavy handed and also climate on the day plays a part. alclad ll semi matte can vary a bit depending on number of coats, and type of coats.

Its a lovely varnish and doesnt orange peel, dries very quick. my choice at the moment.

Merlin