Airfix 1/48 Hurricane

Built oob, with the exception of Eduard seatbelts

Mr surface 1500 primer, Hataka orange line paints, camo done free hand to save the hassle of white tac worms.

Very enjoyable build, the fit is very good, plastics very soft though so you have to go easy with the sanding.Probably a bit too clean, but unless the models in a diorama on on a base I tend to leave them like this as they look better in the display cabinet imho.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 49

52 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Very nice indeed. What airbrush did you use - the demarcation is very finely done.

Will

Iwata Custom Micron CM-C and Iwata HP-TH for the primer

Very good looking Hurricane!

Although the soft-edged camo looks a bit overambitious, since at least the early Hurricane camouflage tended to have hard edged demarcations.

The aerial wire went from the rudder post to the mast prong and from there down:

spacer.png

Otherwise excellent modelling. And I do like the restrained weathering!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

6 hours ago, colin said:

Probably a bit too clean,

Mnay BoB aircraft had very short lives, and were maintained well.   If anything the chipping is overdone.  (though some early Gloster planes had paint that flaked off in big chunks) 

One thing that did happen was Merlins leaked a lot of oil, out of the rear of the engine bays, and this the blew back. 

46804435414_70f7f9ff7a_b.jpg50620677 by losethekibble, on Flickr

also makes that diagonal stain seen on many Hurricane UC doors

One point,  most likely the wrong prop,  the markings supplied are for R4118 as a now flying warbird,  which does not have the original prop,  Airfix specify the one in the kit that look close to the one now fitted,  but when built R4118 would have the other prop in the kit fitted... I don't think this is clearly stated anywhere though! 

Don't worry, Hurricane props and spinners confuse most, https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

just seen a posting on Key Forum which identifies the model numbers, but not with photos.... yes, I have posted some and asked which ones they are!

Model is a very neat crisp bit of work,  :goodjob:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, europapete said:

very well done. Thank you for the airbrush info, I was going to ask the same question ( I am in the market for a new one). Which brand of paint did you use? Superb job. Regards Pete in RI

Thanks, this was done with Hataka orange line thinned with Mr Levelling thinner, very nice paints spray really well but don't have the coverage when thinned right down as my all time favourite Mr Colour