1:48 Scale Space:1999 Lunar Tank #1 from UNCL [COMPLETE!!]

Joining my 22" Eagles I picked up this resin kit from Bill Oram aka UNCL a while back and since I've been working with resin for the last few months I thought I'd carry on and start building it. Here are the contents of the box:

DSC_2867.JPG

There are not many parts as you can see, with the tank tracks cast as two complete pices with the tracks and running gear combined. The full size studio model was based on the Tamiya 1:25 Cheiftain Tank kit. A bit closer up:

DSC_2870.JPG

The resin casting is very good with very little sign of bubbles or voids - makes a change from my last build! The first stage of the build says you need to attache the track gear sprockets to the drive wheel... hmmm no sign of them in the bag of small bits. Thankfully the spares box(es) had enough old tank bits and a pair of drive sprockets from a CRV(T) Scorpion fitted pretty well with a minor bit of trimming

DSC_2984.JPG

After sanding off the various pour lugs, the main pieces fitted together quite well

DSC_2985.JPG

There is a collection of small pieces that need a bit of assembly and a small PE fret to use in the assembly of the radio antenna 

DSC_2986.JPG

DSC_2987.JPG

The piece to the right of the antenna attaches to the back of the dish and then rests on the pin that is sticking out from the piece of the far right which is then attached to the tank itself.

DSC_2988.JPG

This is basically the main components assembled. Next is painting...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks interesting. I'm not sure if I remember this machine from back then.

I did see some of an episode on Forces TV yesterday. The three lead characters ended up being sent back to Bannockburn while Freddie Jones lamented in the future.

Probably one of the later episodes, It seemed like they were just filling time and really wasn't that impressive. 

• 4 weeks later...

After a bit of a delay, mainly due to me being lazy and not posting any updates, here is the remainder of the build.

Where I left it last time I'd pretty much completed the build of the main components - there were not many parts in this kit - so the main work was painting. The main colour is white, which is a notoriously difficult colour to cover with so it ended up with multiple coats of Halfords white primer left over from the 24" Angel Interceptor build. I did paints some black in the grilles on the sides of the body as a pre-shade and I took these photos somwhere during the process

DSC_2995.JPG

DSC_2996.JPG

You can see here there were areas where I'd sanded back the primer so these areas needed extra coverage to get back to being white. I'd also painted the tracks using Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey

DSC_2993.JPG

After all this, I decided to stick with the white primer as the main paint for the model, so the next task was to mask and paint the black anti-glare panels for the windows. Paintign black over white is always a scary task so the masking had to be precise and solid to avoid paint creep. I did this by giving the masking a coat of white primer over the top in an effort to seal any gaps I'd missed. Giving that a day to dry made sense and when the black had been sprayed I was very relieved to see next to no problem with black paint creeping where it wasn't welcome. Sadly I didn't take any photos of this stage :(

Next, in preparation for the decals, the various components got a coat of Klear. There were a few decals but the placement guide in the instructions is a bit random in showing their placement. I also had to source a load of extras for the various stripes, grey bands and panels. I decided to not paint grey panels so resorted to a set of decals I had printed for the 22" Eagle Transporters which had assorted red and grey bands. This was also the time to complete the assembly of all the components onto the main body. The tracks were a tight fit, particularly at the rear and some careful trimming had to be done to get them to fit into the slot.

The last step was to dirty it up. I used some Mig washes and pastel chalks from a set I'd picked up from The Works (for 3 quid) a while back that has 12 chalks that shade from black to white, with various shades of grey in between. This is a really useful source of weathering powders, much cheaper than the usual Mig or other pots!

So this meant the the model was complete! Here then are the final photos:

DSC_3013.JPG

DSC_3014.JPG

DSC_3015.JPG

DSC_3016.JPG

I'm really pleased with how this turned out, it wasn't hard to build but the painting was tricky. In the stash I've now got the second Laser tank that appeared in Space:1999, that will get built in the fullness of time.

• Like 8