Brush painting. How to keep the paint from running away?

Xavnl

Hey!

I am having some difficulties with the camo schemes wile using brushes, no airbrush I go old school.

How can I prevent the paint to go underneath the masking tape and live its life running along the panel lines?

An example of wild paint, I had to chase the runners, line is not straight...

quHlsHEl.jpg

Either (1) your masking tape is not sticking to the surface (and with all those rivets, I'm not surprised if it's not), (2) your paint is too thin, or (3) you have too much paint on your brush. Or it could be a combination of all three.

Nice shading on the cowling, however.

That thing would whistle while it flew along with all those rivet! :lol: I think you've done a great job of making it look tidy though.  Maybe a dose of primer (you can get that in rattle-can format) before you add the top colours next time maybe?  Graham's suggestion of removing all those MAFFISS rivets is a good one, but better suited before you painted.  If you're feeling brave however it will result in a more accurate looking model :)

Burning the tape edge is a great idea. I do that with airbushing. A smoothed toothpick end will do nicely. Be careful you don't damage the tape edge.

After burnishing, seal the tape edge by painting it with the color underneath the masking tape. Any under-run won't be detectable and should block further ingress.

HTH

-- 

dnl

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xavnl said:

How can I prevent the paint to go underneath the masking tape and live its life running along the panel lines?

you can 'seal' the tape by applying the base colour or clear varnish. 

(EDIT as just suggested above too) 

Thanks guys, I will try to "seal" the tape on my next model (FW-190 A8).

I will build more Bf-109 they look splendid, I will be careful not buying an old kit. 🙄

I usually  lock the door to my paint room and to date nothing has managed to "run away" but they're young, they grow up so fast, and who really can stop them searching out their own destinies?

Anil 

• Haha 3