Airfix Lancaster - Dambuster - 1/72

I finished this last night, this is the Airfix Lancaster Dambuster from 2013 so the new tool. This isn’t my best effort and to be honest I couldn’t wait to get it off my bench; I didn’t enjoy building this at all but I see building a Lancaster as a rite of passage for a modeller. 

The base is scratch built with the vehicles from the RAF Bomber resupply set. 

174220E6-A1BD-48A9-90A6-8FBBFEB4E3BA

ECBCF3CB-13F0-495C-A22F-464B30EF02D6

6D488A48-C723-482F-84A3-E334881B4B72

97CCBF42-625B-495E-8474-BDBF70D50242

• Like 28

I struggled to get the bomb aimer’s side windows to fit, the cockpit bubble window panel was a pain to fit, I prefer the Shackleton wing to spar join over the Lancaster but my main problem was paint. The green and DE from AK went on nicely but is very prone to damage when handling. Stupidly, I used Maskol to achieve a hard edge between the two colours but it just peeled the paint when removed so I switched to blutac worms and had to settle for the softer edge this gives. 

I used Tamiya for the black and just couldn’t get a smooth finish, very rough and grainy so the gloss coat also had a rough finish. I polished the areas where the decals were to go to avoid silvering (result!), but I only applied the roundels, serial number and unit markings. 

Because this was donated to my daughter’s class (named Lancaster) I didn’t go to town or even bother weathering it. I picture this hanging from the classroom ceiling and used as target practice by the kids with biro blow pipes and chewed up paper. The class teacher was thrilled with it as an end of year token of appreciation for her hard work. 

P.S thanks for all the likes and comments. 

Edited by Rickoshea52

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the advice on the problems. Painting can be demoralising if it goes wrong, think I’ll go for AK Grey Primer rubbed back with 3200 then Mr Hobby Acrylics 50/ 50 thinned, my only nemesis at the moment is glossing for decals. I have Future which brushes on beautifully but Mirco Sol and definitely Set seems to cause water marks, advice of further coats just don’t seem to work. Fab build tho hope the teacher appreciates the history.