1/700 LST-4002 JS Shimokita

Ahoy,

This is my 3rd 1/700 Ship I build, and my 1st Maritime WIP here in BM.

The basic kit is Tamiya 1/700 LST-4001, and I will add it with Pit-Road PE Set (Fun Facts; I bought the PE set first before the basic kit)

Construction start with the PE and the ship's mast and island

spacer.png

the Pit-Road PE set does not provide the grating and railings for the wet deck, so I decided to make one using leftover railings from Flyhawk railing set.

it wont be 100% accurate, but it would be suffice by the end.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bot much now, but more photos will follow...

Cheers, 

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
fixing the pictures
  • Like 6

Several more photo..

Add more bits to the island... I opt not to use the stairs from the PE set, and use lion roar's 

Kriegmarines stairs set... Not accurate, but I like the shape better.

spacer.png

I'm experimenting by replacing the anchor chains with braided wire after reading about it;

spacer.png

It's actually pretty easy and quick to do.. I got around 20 cm after 10 min of braiding..

spacer.png

The braided wire vs the kit parts

spacer.png

What do you think?

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 7

LST-4002 and 4003 have a slightly different mast than the LST-4001. It extends a little higher, has another platform, and the second highest platform (what would be the uppermost platform on the Oosumi, part 45 in the PE set) is larger and has a different shape.

Give me a day or two and I can get some useful drawings and pictures from my own work on the kit.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spejic said:

LST-4002 and 4003 have a slightly different mast than the LST-4001. It extends a little higher, has another platform, and the second highest platform (what would be the uppermost platform on the Oosumi, part 45 in the PE set) is larger and has a different shape.

Give me a day or two and I can get some useful drawings and pictures from my own work on the kit.

Please do Spejic...

Warship is just a fling from my usual genre, so I am a little short in reference.

And finding one for the ohsumi class (or any JMSDF Vessel) is really difficult...

I'll surely wait for your drawings and pictures @spejic...

Cheers,

Mario

Here is what my mast looks like now:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Here is the pattern for the top two platforms. The best way to do this is to print this out at 300dpi (the image is already set for this) and make the platforms the exact size of the printed patterns. The new part of the mast is 4mm tall and follows the slope of the mast up to that point.

spacer.png

On 7/23/2019 at 4:46 AM, Lifeline said:

And finding one for the ohsumi class (or any JMSDF Vessel) is really difficult...

I get better luck using the hiragana characters, so do an image search for:

LST 4001 おおすみ

LST 4002 しもきた

LST 4003 くにさき

I also think Bing is a little better for military images than Google.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, spejic said:

Here is what my mast looks like now:

Here is the pattern for the top two platforms. The best way to do this is to print this out at 300dpi (the image is already set for this) and make the platforms the exact size of the printed patterns. The new part of the mast is 4mm tall and follows the slope of the mast up to that point.

spacer.png

I get better luck using the hiragana characters, so do an image search for:

LST 4001 おおすみ

LST 4002 しもきた

LST 4003 くにさき

I also think Bing is a little better for military images than Google.

Wow! That's even better than mine with all the PE on! You should continue your build @spejic ...

Thanks to Spejic's pattern and instruction, I'm able to build additional modification for shimokita's mast...

spacer.png

I will probably add more details as per spejic mast... 

Prior to building the additional platform, I add some PE grill and railings around the hull parts

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also paint the interior..

20190726-011453.jpg

the vehicle deck area is Tamiya XF-23 (Light Blue).. yes I thought it's just another Tamiya effort to only listed their own color code on the instruction sheet..

But when I went aboard JS Suzutsuki several months ago I saw light blue on their hangar wall..

20180920-140738.jpg

The flood deck looks to have the same shade as the external of the ship, The instruction said TS-32 (Haze Grey). But I choose to use Mr.Hobby 607 (JMSDF 2704 Gray N5) instead. Mostly because I want to try to see how it looks compared to the real one. And it's spot one with the shade that JMSDF ships had on. Slightly darker than USN or RN grey....

Next...paint the island, and weather the vehicle deck and flood deck

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 4

I decided to finish the LCAC and the ground forces... I didn't use the PE parts for the LCAC because I'm planning to use it for other project..

spacer.png

Weather all the vehicles, and the internal decks with acrylic wash, just enough to give some variation on the shades.

Then problem...

I really don't know the proper arrangements of the vehicle inside the vehicle decks. So I took t liberty to load the tanks and AFVs first, with 4 unit of Type 74 MBT being loaded into the two LCAC. Later I will add some figures also

20190731-144334.jpg

Here's what it's look dryfitted with the upper deck and island..

20190731-144426.jpg

I planned the soft vehicles (trucks, utilities) will be stacked on the upper decks..

All the vehicles are glued with pva, so it will be easily moved/changed if I got references..

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 5

Your work on the vehicles is fantastic. That must have taken a long time.

7 hours ago, Lifeline said:

I really don't know the proper arrangements of the vehicle inside the vehicle decks.

While most of the time the ship is unloaded when civilian visitors are allowed, I did find one reference that looks just like what you did (vehicles on the outside and the center lane kept open). You even have the vehicles correctly pointed towards the bow, so you don't need to touch a thing.

One thing you might consider is putting shipping containers on the deck - they are frequently seen on this class of ship, and there are some excellent containers made by photo-etch companies these days.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2019 at 11:26 PM, spejic said:

Your work on the vehicles is fantastic. That must have taken a long time

Hi,

Yes @spejic I actually start painting the trucks several weeks ago.

And yes, I did considering to add containers.. but it will took more time and money for me so probably later.

Meanwhile, the build continue with painting the deck and vertical area of the structure with Mr.Color 608 (JMSDF Dark Grey N4), then followed by masked the decks..

Dry fitted the island to determined the masked area...

20190803-004959.jpg

White for the fore decks and Mr.Color 607 for the aft, then red, then Mr.Color 608.. I want several area of the main deck to be transparent, and I'm hoping the red color will shows the tip of the cutaway.

20190803-162014.jpg

I also want to try some preshading to highlight the hull framing. I robbed this idea from the build by a member in this forum..

20190803-172017.jpg

I noticed the kit lack of several antennas above the bridge and aft of the funnel area, so I scratched some from stretched sprues. I don't know the measurements of the real thing, so overscale are very likely...

20190804-094614.jpg

Although it does make the top deck area populated, almost like antenna farm saw in reference photos.

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 6

On vehicles one note - The LCAC normally carries a maximum load of 60t, although it can carry 75t in very good weather, which is too much for 2 Type 74 MBT's under normal safety rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niall said:

On vehicles one note - The LCAC normally carries a maximum load of 60t, although it can carry 75t in very good weather, which is too much for 2 Type 74 MBT's under normal safety rules.

🤦‍♂️

I knew it looks funny... I should've done more research...  

Unfortunately nothing can be done for now, unless ripping off the aft main deck section, which is too scary for me.

Thanks for the info though... It will sure be useful for my LHD-6 build.

Haven't got the kit yet...

But yesterday the postman delivered a PE set for 1/700 WASP Class LHD which apparently I bought from the E(vil)Bay.

And I swore this ship-modelling is just a fling....

Cheers,

Mario

Update...

Painted the deck and hull, also added some railings detail on the main deck, and scratch small mast which shows in reference photos.

20190810-010156.jpg

If you see some discoloration on the main deck, it's started as an accident. I put too much flat coat and have white powder effect on the main deck surface. It strangely look like salt effect I sometimes see on vessel's main deck. So, I decide to play along and add little oil wash on it instead which also lessen the white powder effect a bit...

20190809-223105.jpg

I like the results and I consider the painting and wathering process on the main deck is done.

So, I thought why not as well peel out the masking tape and dry fit the island...

20190810-140058.jpg

20190810-140114.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 5

It's great to follow this thread because you update so frequently. I do wish you had larger images - I can see some of the photo-etch and scratchbuilt details you added to the deck, but I can't tell how you did them and I'd like to learn from your experience.

Did you ever use the photo etch for the boat launch wells? I'm finding those difficult to install in the space provided.

Thanks @spejic n @beefy66.. 

I'd love to post larger image... But I think I've read somewhere the recommended size for posting image in BM Forum it 640x800...

But here's some latest pictures with higher resolution...

20190810-010156.jpg

20190810-140058.jpg

20190810-140114.jpg

As for the boat launch well, I installed it rather early before closing the main deck, and before installing the lifeboat for easier access.

I agree it was really tricky.. I ended up replacing one of the platform PE with the generic one by Lion Roar.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 3

Small update...

Finished the island rigging last night, and I decided to install the island on the main deck. Just like the dry fitting no problem found when glueing the island on the main deck.

This would be my last update for the next 2 weeks, until I'm back home from work. 

20190814-152339.jpg

Here she is momentarily displayed beside 1/700 USS Cole which I'm still working on her display..

20190814-112052.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Back from the job several days ago and just found the will to continue with the LST..

The kit decals already start to yellow and has lost it's film, nothing that a coat of microscale decal film can't handle, although it makes the decal thicker.

20190911-222930.jpg

Also finish with the vehicle decals and painting.

I decided to use 2 SH-60J and 1 CH-47 Chinook. Partly because I hope it will help mask any marking imperfection due to the decals.

20190911-222904.jpg

I played around a bit earlier with rigging hread and make some rotor tie down for the chinook.

20190911-222831.jpg

I will load up the ground vehicles later, but currently still trying to figure out the best parking spot for all vehicle but will still get a view of below deck.

Any comments / suggestion are very welcome..

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 5

The vehicles on top seem to be placed first along the mid-line of the island and then spread fore and aft equally as the number of vehicles/containers increases. Vehicles are not placed at the very front of the deck (from the midpoint of the elevator forward), even when the deck is heavily loaded. I would probably place a single line of vehicles along the painted part of the deck with a couple wheeled armored vehicles at the lead and trucks behind, starting at where the side doors are. This means you will have unused vehicles, but it preserves the windows you created and would be realistic.

The best example of this is actually on the official JMSDF web site. On this page, look at the first four images of the LST 4001 - they show a load of vehicles that leave your window area mostly clear.

When two helicopters are on the pads, sometimes the forward helicopter is offset to port. This will also help make your window more useful.

Your rigging is really impressive. What kind of thread do you use?

Edited by spejic
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @spejic,

Adapting to your idea and reference pictures I played with vehicles; 

20190912-165445.jpg

20190912-165510.jpg

I'm following the deck tie downs point and placed the vehicle  between the points, and as you can see it leave an empty rows on the center line of the deck just on the transparent area of the deck, so it won't cover the  below deck visual.

It might be not so accurate, but so does a transparent deck, right? 😉

4 Type 82 Command Post Vehicles will be parked on the port ready to be loaded into the ship, while 2 4x4s stand guard near the loading ramps.

As for the rigging, I use a poly strand which my LHS sells.

Any comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 5

For the dock, you can create the mooring hooks by sliding a standard razor saw flat along the top of the dock and cutting into those bumps provided by Tamiya. There is a lot of variability in the color of the hooks, the color and size of the curbs on the edge, and whether there are built-in bumpers along the edge or you need to use those fenders provided by the kit. If you want pictures, I can post them.