C-119 to AC-119 conversion

Depending on the version. The earlier AC-119G would be less work compared to the later AC-119K, saving you the trouble of dealing with the nose and the underwing jet engines.

However, it would still mean quite a lot of scratchbuilding for the guns and sensor package.

Cheers,

Andre

Toby,

See the link below for good external and interior views of the early AC-119, which would be an easier conversion from an Italeri C-119G kit, as the early versions lacked the J-85 jet pods and the extended radome on the nose. I hope this site will be helpful.

Mike

http://www.atterburybakalarairmuseum.org/71st-sos---in-vietnam.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you can only find the C-119C kit, notice that the sprue has been modified to delete the ventral fin at the end of the tail boom. AC-119G/Ks all had them. 

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/C-119C-Flying-Boxcar.html

The AC-119K kit is pretty good. The replacement nose is too pointy and the J85 jet engines should be more squarish in cross section. Look at the Roden AC-123K's J-85s. 

This is one of the better shots of the right side showing the APU intake and exhaust. The intake is in the black square and the exhaust is the circular opening to the rear and lower. Other pictures show the exhaust as a circular tube that sticks out a little from the opening. The large rounded rectangular piece is the door to let in air to clear the interior of smoke. It was taken at Atsugi, I believe, where it came to have battle damage repaired. It was taken by a Japanese photographer. 

More later.

Fairchild C-119 USAF

• Like 1

You would also have to scratch build a flare launcher and illuminator light along with power generator. Look at the instructions for the Italeri AC-119K for guidance. There was an aft personnel door added on the right rear of the fuselage. You would have to cut out a smaller rectangular door almost centered on the second to the last window. Aft of that you need to add two large deflectors before for the flare launcher. You would need to add little air scoops above the 7.62mm mini guns. The fancy artwork didn't last very long in combat and the AC-119G was very weight critical so the ammo racks were quickly removed. The AC-119K probably had theirs taken out also. 

https://www.globalsecurity.org/jhtml/jframe.html#https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/images/ac-119k_051128-f-1234p-054.jpg|||

The italeri kit has the latter 7.62mm gun mounts withe the ammo drum below the mount. The AC-119G started with earlier mounts with the ammo behind the gun. The Italeri AC-47D kit has these mounts. 

So both AC-119G and K needed the flare launcher and illuminator light and power generator scratch built. The intake and exhaust for the APU and the aft personnel door and deflectors before the flare launcher door all need to be added. You would also need to add the air scoop doors, two on the left and one on the right. 

Later in life, the props were changed with C-121 props. 

The AC-119K needs a new nose, the forward FLIR sensor, the aft beacon tracking radar thimble radome before the aft paratroop door, and the simple mount for the forward night observation sight in the front crew door. 

Grant

• 2 years later...
On 22/07/2019 at 08:49, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi there

How much work is involved converting the C-119 to a gunship? The reason for asking is the gunship kits on a certain internet auction site are several times the cost of the flying boxcar. 

Regards

Toby

Here is one on scalemates for sale for 40 euro ..seller is in Austria....

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/italeri-153-ac-119k-gun-ship-stinger-shadow--120701

cheers, Jan

3 hours ago, Shalako said:

Cheers mate. It does feel strange that Eduard didn't produce a set for this aircraft or for another of similar size; the Nord Noratlas.

Somehow, kits of cargo aircraft do not exactly set the aftermarket world alight. 

Cheers,

Andre

12 hours ago, Hook said:

Somehow, kits of cargo aircraft do not exactly set the aftermarket world alight. 

Cheers,

Andre

I agree Andre. Cargo aircrafts have been neglected and that's a pity because there is a lot of potential detailing!! Less we forget that the C-119 was used as a 'gunship' airframe! Not to mention the several different military airforces that have used it over time.

All these aspects constitute a potential that many scale modellers would be interested in buying (including myself). 

19 hours ago, Shalako said:

Cheers mate. It does feel strange that Eduard didn't produce a set for this aircraft or for another of similar size; the Nord Noratlas.

One of the reasons is that most aftermarket products are spurred by the release of a new kit. The Italeri C-119 was first released before the birth of Eduard and while the kit was rereleased a few times in the following years, it wasn't one of those kits that caused much sensation. Only aftermarket I know of for this kit are the Plus Models wheel set and SAC metal undercarriage.

21 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Only aftermarket I know of for this kit are the Plus Models wheel set and SAC metal undercarriage.

Buongiorno Giorgio!

I was expecting to see a reply from you since the Italian Air Force was one of the aircraft's operators!

Yes, I am aware of the sets you mention. Unfortunately, these are the only ones. Perhaps, you know of another etched set that we can scrap parts from it and use them to improve the cockpit, or the cargo area of the C-119????:confused:

Cheers,

Bill

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

Buongiorno Giorgio!

I was expecting to see a reply from you since the Italian Air Force was one of the aircraft's operators!

Yes, I am aware of the sets you mention. Unfortunately, these are the only ones. Perhaps, you know of another etched set that we can scrap parts from it and use them to improve the cockpit, or the cargo area of the C-119????:confused:

Cheers,

Bill

Yes, the C-119 was heavily used in Italy and it's a type dear to the local enthusiasts, in part because of the tragic events in the Congo, events that shook the Country in the early '60s.

Unfortunately no aftermarket came even here, I checked the old catalogues of companies like RCR and nobody seems to have done anything for the C-119. To be hones I don't expect much to change, although with the spreading of 3D printers it may well be that at some point someone may make something for his own use and then make this available to others

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Yes, the C-119 was heavily used in Italy and it's a type dear to the local enthusiasts, in part because of the tragic events in the Congo, events that shook the Country in the early '60s.

Unfortunately no aftermarket came even here, I checked the old catalogues of companies like RCR and nobody seems to have done anything for the C-119. To be hones I don't expect much to change, although with the spreading of 3D printers it may well be that at some point someone may make something for his own use and then make this available to others

Mille grazie amico mio!

On 11/14/2021 at 5:00 PM, Shalako said:

There was a fairly in-depth build article in SMI, I guess 1987, which may prove helpful (would have to dig the copy out - it was one of my first SMI's as a boy). Not sure how helpful they may be, but the Airfix AC-47 also had some Miniguns added, and the kit ***may*** be around fairly cheap as the kit has been superseded by a number of others (Esci also had an AC-4, but that may be scarce).

7 hours ago, Hook said:

Well, with three Italeri AC-119's , four AC-47's, an AC-130A and an AC-130H in the stash, who am I to disagree. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Stop boasting, André 😛😉 I have at least a half-dozen Airfix AC-47s, including the rather scarce bilingual Type 5 boxing 😉 (but only one Ac-119, I think).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tempestfan said:

There was a fairly in-depth build article in SMI, I guess 1987, which may prove helpful (would have to dig the copy out - it was one of my first SMI's as a boy).

Cheers mate. Looking forward to seeing the article!!!