The return of 207 Sqn

On July 1st 2019 No 207 Sqn RAF reformed as the joint RN/RAF Lightning II Operational Conversion Unit. It's new home will at RAF Marham based alongside the first F-35 squadron - no 617 - which reformed last year. The rebirth of 207 Sqn as a squadron with RN ancestry and RAF Marham operational history is a good one. The squadron was formed on 1 April 1918 from the former 7 Sqn RNAS to become 201 Sqn RAF, and throughout the 1950s was based at RAF Marham where it operated the Lincoln, Canberra and Valiant bombers. It's most recent incarnation was as 207(R) Sqn at RAF Linton on Ouse - where alongside 72(R) Sqn it was tasked with training all future RN and RAF fast jet pilots.

The nucleus of the new 207 Sqn has been based at Beaufort MCAS in South Carolina for the last couple of years where it has operated alongside VMFAT-501 training up UK and USMC F-35 pilots and engineers. However on 16 July, the first 6 jets for the new squadron were flown direct from Beaufort to their new home at RAF Marham after a 10 hour Atlantic crossing. Led by the Sqn OC-  Wg Cdr Williams, the aircraft arrived in the early evening to be met by the crews wives and families and RAF and RN senior officers.  It is good to see that most of the aircraft that arrived are now sporting a lightning bolt on the fin and the last 3 of the serials on their noses. It is understood that the lightning bolt will be rolled out to all UK F-35 aircraft in recognition of the Lightning Force. Although the markings lack colour at least it is better than nothing.

Here's some shots I gathered during the arrival of these machines at Marham. My thanks are extended to the MCO Alison Childerhouse, Wg Cdr Eklund at Air Cmd, and the RAF Marham Station Commander - Gp Capt Townsend for making the visit possible.

Thanks for looking, c&c always appreciated.

Mark

IMG_8739a1_zpssclokqnc.jpg

5A5A6629a1_edited-1_zpsnaqfhefk.jpg

5A5A6655a2_edited-1_zpss6oaoo3w.jpg

5A5A6666a1_edited-1_zpsbtmctzfq.jpg

IMG_8798a1_zpsjdlshdc2.jpg

5A5A6674a1_edited-1_zpsozvy626h.jpg

5A5A6686a1_zpst7vq14i7.jpg

5A5A6684a1_zpslqnbf2qe.jpg

IMG_8828a1_edited-1_zpszehoqrq4.jpg

5A5A6679a1_edited-1_zpsdb1oe1xu.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Lovely pics - thanks for posting them. 

Shame they didn’t pop their ‘barn doors’. Would love to confirm whether the rumoured full colour Union Flag painted inside is actually there!

• Thanks 1

I like those line sheds ...An American idea but a good one saves doing turn rounds or bombing and gunning in the rain....character building stuff....I dunno matelots today...wasnt like that in my day blah blah blah foams at the mouth😬😂😂😂

• Haha 3

Having seen the trailer for the new Top Gun Maverick movie, I thought that Tom Cruise was looking a bit old to still be a FJ pilot, but after looking at the pilot in the photo above....I take it back. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

That's what they said about its predecessor.  And doubtless on many more occasions back down the line.  It's amazing what you get used to.

Oh I hope not. 😀

• Haha 3

Great shots! Always good to see RAF fast jets. Are they purely mud movers or will they be taking on QRA duties? They'd look good with 56 or 74 sqn markings emblazoned on the fins!

I can't help but associate 207 sqn with DH Devons!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Great shots! Always good to see RAF fast jets. Are they purely mud movers or will they be taking on QRA duties? They'd look good with 56 or 74 sqn markings emblazoned on the fins!

I can't help but associate 207 sqn with DH Devons!

They're strike/reconnaissance/FAC aircraft, they'll not be used as QRA for air defence, although they can be tasked for CAP when embarked on carriers with capacity for up to 14 AMRAAM/Meteor and two ASRAAM including external pylons carriage.

Speaking of which...why wasn't a Navy Sqn stood up as the next F-35 operator?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alan P said:

They're strike/reconnaissance/FAC aircraft, they'll not be used as QRA for air defence, although they can be tasked for CAP when embarked on carriers with capacity for up to 14 AMRAAM/Meteor and two ASRAAM including external pylons carriage.

Speaking of which...why wasn't a Navy Sqn stood up as the next F-35 operator?

I blinking hope they are doing CAP otherwise there some blinking big targets floating about.

Good question....I thought 809 was next but as they are JS it's all a bit academic 🤔

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2019 at 5:50 PM, Coors54 said:

Oh I hope not. 😀

Don’t worry as we grow older, our eyesights and sense of reason will become frazzled anyway.

I’ll only like the look of the thing when it’s painted Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey 🙄

Trevor

• Like 1

Chaps. Many thanks for the likes and comments. It has been confirmed that the second operational UK F-35B sqn will be 809, which will reform at Marham in 2022 I believe.

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canberraman said:

Chaps. Many thanks for the likes and comments. It has been confirmed that the second operational UK F-35B sqn will be 809, which will reform at Marham in 2022 I believe.

Mark

Yesssss

Thanks for the update. And just to balance the elders' opinions, I think it's a good looking and menacing aircraft, every inch the 21st Century warrior.

They've gone over board with the colourful markings again, better tone down the light grey!