Iranian F-14 Blue-Grey Scheme

Roy LeMont

Does anybody have an idea what colors are used on the Iranian blue-grey scheme?  Some decal manufacturers say blue FS #35450, which seems reasonable, but then they suggest gray FS #36622, which seems much too light.  Any ideas?

Cheers,

Roy

14 hours ago, Jordi said:

I would doubt the IRIAF is adhering to the US Government's Federal Standard.  Given the strangle hold on Iran's economy with the sanctions regime it's been under for many years, I suspect they manufactured the paints locally.  As to exactly what colors?  Who knows?  I think "Modeler" decals from Iran recommends FS matches as "close enough".

Actually their F-14s were delivered in FS colors and they are updating that scheme on some of their Tomcats and still using FS matches for those colors.  In any event, the FS match is mentioned mainly because it's an easily accessible common standard which all of the aftermarket decal manufacturers that I know of have used to identify the colors on Iranian F-14s.  If somebody has a BSC, RAL, RLM, or whatever match I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Roy

Hi Decal has a sheet that includes an Iranian Phantom in the same scheme - the instructions suggest FS36440 for the grey. I'm going to be building an RF-4E in this scheme pretty soon so will see how it turns out.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:32 AM, zebra said:

Hi Decal has a sheet that includes an Iranian Phantom in the same scheme - the instructions suggest FS36440 for the grey. I'm going to be building an RF-4E in this scheme pretty soon so will see how it turns out.

In many pictures it appears that the lighter gray from the Mod Eagle scheme (FS #36251) could be a match.

Cheers,

Roy

I would take it as easy with that blue and grey as you could possibly wish. I saw three of the blue ones live last year and it was basically the same as it was 12 years ago with the USN machines. Every single dagblasted one of the three had a different blue and a different grey than the other one; heck you could see different shades of blue / grey within each machine itself! Just paint them with whatever blue tone you think looks good and it will most probably be right hihihi:

(I already posted yome pics somewhere else on the forum sorry for any repeat and yes, i know I promissed to post more of them, a big SORRY to all who asked, I just couldn't free the proper time so far, but I'll get there eventually)

36342228yj.jpg

36342230fk.jpg

36342231si.jpg

36342234di.jpg

36342236ii.jpg

• Like 5