The "Bucket Car"

So as you can probably guess from my user name - my usual modelling territory is in the Aircraft section.  However, I decided that I wanted to have a go at something a bit different and having been inspired by all the fantastic military vehicle builds on the BM forum I decided to give one a go.

So whilst having a nosy around the Monk Bar Model Shop in York on a recent weekend away - I decided to pick up this kit:

35213_a__57543.1491196262__07711.1510822

There's just something about the Kubelwagen that I like - probably it's simplicity and functional aesthetic.  As this was a Tamiya kit, I knew I'd be in safe hands building this as my very first military vehicle.  As you'd expect the kit went together with hardly any effort whatsoever and was one of the most enjoyable builds I've done for a while - I think sometimes it does you good to get away from your comfort zone.

The kit also comes with a figure which you can have perched half in and half out of the drivers door which I decided to use so I could add a bit of interest to the model.  I decided to go with the German Grey scheme (24th Panzer Division - Eastern Front 1943-44) rather than the other 2 schemes (both camouflage schemes like the box art).  I liked the idea of completing the kit in the German Grey as I think nothing says WW2 German vehicle more than seeing one in this colour.

So enough waffling from me - here's some pics of the model.  As always please feel free to offer any feedback or comments - especially as this is my first vehicle and all advice is good advice.

Thanks

Kris

DSC00502

DSC00503

DSC00504

DSC00506

DSC00507

DSC00508

DSC00510

DSC00511

DSC00512

DSC00514

• Like 28

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Well that turned out beautifully!! So which AFV model is next? They are quite addictive!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks very much for that Stix - much appreciated. You're right about being addictive and I would like to do more - what would your suggestions be? 

Kris

5 hours ago, planecrazee said:

what would your suggestions be? 

Hi Kris. Depends if you want to stick to 1/35 or try 1/48 and if you want to stick with similar vehicles - to the one you made - or try some tanks. A tank kit that I made early on and thoroughly enjoyed was Tamiya's 1/48  GERMAN Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf.E/F. It's a lovely kit to build, comes with a figure - yours was excellent by the way - and is really cheap! I bought a second one to make at some point shortly after finishing the first.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-32583-panzerkampfwagen-38-t-ausfe-f--636744

Only a suggestion. Otherwise I find it's best to look through the AFV section on Britmodeller here and see what grabs my attention.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Lovely little Kubelwagen, well painted and nicely weathered. And the figure looks good too.

Stix's suggestion about Tamiya's 1/48th kits is quite right. IMO, the Cromwell is an excellent kit. I've built a few of them. But if you want something in 1/35th with wheels, then the trucks from IBG are excellent. Whatever you decide, enjoy it.

John.

47 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Kris. Depends if you want to stick to 1/35 or try 1/48 and if you want to stick with similar vehicles - to the one you made - or try some tanks. A tank kit that I made early on and thoroughly enjoyed was Tamiya's 1/48  GERMAN Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf.E/F. It's a lovely kit to build, comes with a figure - yours was excellent by the way - and is really cheap! I bought a second one to make at some point shortly after finishing the first.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-32583-panzerkampfwagen-38-t-ausfe-f--636744

Only a suggestion. Otherwise I find it's best to look through the AFV section on Britmodeller here and see what grabs my attention.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the advice Stix - really appreciated. That sounds like a plan - a 1/48 38(t) is on the list. I'll also do like you suggested and look for inspiration in the BM AFV section. 

Kris

10 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Lovely little Kubelwagen, well painted and nicely weathered. And the figure looks good too.

Stix's suggestion about Tamiya's 1/48th kits is quite right. IMO, the Cromwell is an excellent kit. I've built a few of them. But if you want something in 1/35th with wheels, then the trucks from IBG are excellent. Whatever you decide, enjoy it.

John.

Thanks for your feedback John and for your kind words. I'll definitely have a look into Tamiya 1/48 models. 

Kris

10 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Great result for a first attempt. Nicely weathered & good work on the figure. 

Look forward to seeing some more targets!

Pete

Thanks Pete - much appreciated. I'm hoping to have more for you to see soon. I think the AFV bug has definitely bitten!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still love these low cost but excellent Tamiya kits, they are fun to build and with some basic skills produce and a great result. You clearly have advanced skills and the results are terrific. Welcome to the AFV section 🙂

9 hours ago, Yetifan said:

I still love these low cost but excellent Tamiya kits, they are fun to build and with some basic skills produce and a great result. You clearly have advanced skills and the results are terrific. Welcome to the AFV section 🙂

Thank you very much for the very kind feedback - don't think I'd go as far as advanced skills - mine pail into comparison to the other guys on here. I totally agree with you about the kit - it went together so well and has now got me hooked. The wife will kill me though if I end up with an AFV stash as well as an aircraft one lol

• 5 months later...

Just found this - so sorry for the delay in expressing my admiration for a cracking build.  I'm just about to start one myself and this certainly offers inspiration.

:goodjob: Steve

16 hours ago, BIG X said:

Just found this - so sorry for the delay in expressing my admiration for a cracking build.  I'm just about to start one myself and this certainly offers inspiration.

:goodjob: Steve

Thank you so much for the kind feedback Steve.  I hope all goes well for your build - I found this to be a cracking little kit and really enjoyed it :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, McNab said:

Looks great 😊 so what’s next as they all are saying 😆 

cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - much appreciated.  At the moment I'm working on a Stuka for the GB but in terms of AFV - I've just completed the Tamiya Panzer II:

Next I'm likely to build the Airfix (Academy re-box) of the 1/35 M3 Stuart (Honey).

Kris

• Like 1