Tamiya 1/24 Calsonic Impul GTR

Hi there

So this is my latest build just recently finished. The kit goes together well with the only really tricky part being the calsonic decal across the front of the bonnet. This decal is split into approx 20 parts so as to fit around and in between the vents. I started in the middle and worked outwards and eventually it all came together. However the biggest problem I encountered was  an error I made when painting the shell. For some reason the paint reacted with the plastic and created a crazed effect also eating deep into the plastic. I banished the kit to the dustbin and went away for a good sulk. The next day i fetched the kit out of the bin and began the tedious job of stripping the shell I then went onto complete the kit as shown below.

Thanks for viewing     

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Andy J
  • Like 8

Just now, JeroenS said:

Well, certainly a nice save from the bin Andy, looks great!

Thanks I almost binned it again halfway through stripping the paint but I'm glad I didn't however I wouldn't fancy doing it again !

I certainly wouldn't guess from looking at it that you'd had so many problems with the paint - I think that end result is better than any of my paint jobs. But for all that, it's that decal I envy you least of all.

A good end result and one which shows that nothing is truly a lost cause given enough incentive.

3 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I certainly wouldn't guess from looking at it that you'd had so many problems with the paint - I think that end result is better than any of my paint jobs. But for all that, it's that decal I envy you least of all.

A good end result and one which shows that nothing is truly a lost cause given enough incentive.

Thanks, I should have taken a pic of just how bad the damage to the shell was after stripping. Fortunately the end result was worth it. The decal is awkward but fair play to Tamiya I don't see another way of doing it. It was a poster off here that mentioned stripping the paint , if it weren't for that comment I wouldn't have bothered. Cheers

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That turned out beautifully Andy, stunning paintjob again! So glad it didn't go for recycling!! :thumbsup:

Keith

Cheers Keith, it was your comment about stripping the paint that turned this build around otherwise it would have been recycled 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy J said:

Cheers Keith, it was your comment about stripping the paint that turned this build around otherwise it would have been recycled 👍

I'm glad i didn't keep my big trap shut then, as it is a superb model for your collection! 

K

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Natter said:

Wow, what a recovery.  That's superb.

Thanks, I must admit I didn't hold out much hope after the stripping however all's well that ends well.

17 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Is it just me or have all the pics disappeared? 🤔

Sorry I deleted them off my host site not realising they would be removed from here 😟

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andy J said:

Sorry I deleted them off my host site not realising they would be removed from here 😟

Ah, been there, done that! Hope you can rebuild the links soon.

1 minute ago, Alan P said:

Ah, been there, done that! Hope you can rebuild the links soon.

I will try uploading some more pics later

On 7/21/2019 at 5:25 PM, Andy J said:

For some reason the paint reacted with the plastic and created a crazed effect also eating deep into the plastic.

Which paint caused the problem & which paint did you use in the end?

3 minutes ago, spaddad said:

Which paint caused the problem & which paint did you use in the end?

Zero paints grey primer caused the problem so I used alclad grey primer, zero paints Calsonic blue basecoat and then zero 2k clear to finish off thanks

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Andy J said:

Zero paints grey primer caused the problem

Hi Andy,

That's a bit weird! I have used ZP grey primer for nearly all the last six or seven car kits, and have never encountered that problem.

Mind you, I do spray the stuff on in very light coats until I have the coverage. I don't know whether that's the difference.

I used to use Halfords' primer ans was careful to lay in down in thin coats as well, as I knew that would munch into polystyrene... (Experience!!!)

Anyway, cracking build. You made a great save there.

Cheers, Alan.

2 minutes ago, Alan R said:

Hi Andy,

That's a bit weird! I have used ZP grey primer for nearly all the last six or seven car kits, and have never encountered that problem.

Mind you, I do spray the stuff on in very light coats until I have the coverage. I don't know whether that's the difference.

I used to use Halfords' primer ans was careful to lay in down in thin coats as well, as I knew that would munch into polystyrene... (Experience!!!)

Anyway, cracking build. You made a great save there.

Cheers, Alan.

Hi Alan, like you I've used zero primer exclusively until this incident without issue, problem is I've lost confidence in the product now however I'm going to give it another go on my next build simply because when it works correctly it's a fantastic product. Cheers Andy.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if there might be some slight differences in the formulation of the kit's plastic that gives rise to these strange intermittent problems? Maybe it might be worth spraying the inside of the shell first on your next build Andy, just to make sure the primer hasn't 'gone off'in some way (but I'd doubt it has)

Keith

18 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I sometimes wonder if there might be some slight differences in the formulation of the kit's plastic that gives rise to these strange intermittent problems? Maybe it might be worth spraying the inside of the shell first on your next build Andy, just to make sure the primer hasn't 'gone off'in some way (but I'd doubt it has)

Keith

Hi Keith, I've done a bit of research into zero paint problem's and it seems I'm not the only one to suffer this reaction. Thing is no one knows what causes it to work great most of the time but occasionally mess up. I'm going to go with your idea and spray inside first to see what happens. Cheers Andy.

• Like 1