Revell 1/48 McDonnell-Douglas F/A-18A Hornet

This the old Revell kit, in the "Hunt for Red October" boxing, from 1990. I built it circa 2005-07 I'd guess.  I did use an aftermarket decal set, the SuperScaleInternational set 48-346. It’s pretty much built OOB, with just a few added details.  The paint was ModelMaster and Humbrol enamels, applied with my Paasche Model H.  So, once again, another “four-footer” from Texas.😉  Thank you for your interest, and thanks for looking in.  Please leave comments, good or bad! 😁

PICT3864.jpg

PICT3863.jpg

PICT3862.jpg

PICT3861.jpg

PICT3860.jpg

PICT3859.jpg

PICT3858.jpg

PICT3857.jpg

PICT3856.jpg

PICT3855.jpg

PICT3854.jpg

PICT3853.jpg

PICT3852.jpg

• Like 25

1 hour ago, Robert_ said:

Looks great Gary!

Thank you Robert! 🍺

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

Wow! Terriffic "Big" Hornet! I love the subtle weathering -- It matches the diorama, which I really like, by the way. Nice job!

Thanks to you as well opus!  I'm glad that you liked my "Big" Hornet!😉   I try to keep the weathering looking realistic but in this case, I believe it could use a bit more.   As for the diorama, yes it was mighty thoughtful of the City of Cameron to build that airport out there. 🙂 

I've sure put it to good, if sporadic, use!   

Thanks for the comments gents! :worthy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt P said:

Very nice build 👍. Currently struggling with a 'deformed' Revell 1/48 F18E and I hope I can get it nearly as good as yours. 

Thanks Matt!  🍺 Hang in there brother; I'd like to see that bird!  I have that kit in the stash and have been wondering about the quality.  I hope my kit isn't deformed. 😀

2 hours ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thanks Richard!   Much appreciate that. 👍

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Dunno about a good 'four footer', it looks great from 4000 odd miles away!!

Keith

Cool Keith! 😎  Thanks so much for the kind words! 😀

I sure appreciate the nice comments everyone!   Thanks a lot for your interest and encouragement!  

4 hours ago, Reini78 said:

Sweet pics of a sweet model 👍👍

Thanks for the sweet comment! 😀

3 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Very nicely done.

Always felt the F18 isn't up to the usual US standards of good looking fighter planes.

F-14, F-15 and F-16 much nicer to look at imo.

Thanks so much for your comment sir!  🍺And yes, I agree completely...the Hornet is the homely sister of that bunch. 😉

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Thanks for the sweet comment! 😀

Thanks so much for your comment sir!  🍺And yes, I agree completely...the Hornet is the homely sister of that bunch. 😉

Was lucky enough to see an F-18 do an air display on the weekend (RIAT) and it is an impressive bit of kit.

Seemed huge as well!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Was lucky enough to see an F-18 do an air display on the weekend (RIAT) and it is an impressive bit of kit.

Seemed huge as well!

I've never seen an F-18 perform. 😪 I have seen the other U.S. "teens" in airshows though, the F-14, F-15 and F-16 many years ago at airshows in Waco, Texas.  The Concorde was there one year and one could even sign up for a brief, if quite expensive "ride".   One exciting demonstration was done by a Marine Corp AV-8B Harrier.  Wow, was that thing LOUD!  😀

Wow! Another nice result from the days of kits with raised panel lines and nothing but plastic parts.  Good job beating another "classic" into submission!

Edited by John B
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, John B said:

Wow! Another nice result from the days of kits with raised panel lines and nothing but plastic parts.  Good job beating another "classic" into submission!

Thanks John! 🍺 

Lol, yep, I ain't skeered of no raised panel lines.   Just beat 'em down!! 😁 

I really appreciate the comment!

7 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

I've never seen an F-18 perform. 😪 I have seen the other U.S. "teens" in airshows though, the F-14, F-15 and F-16 many years ago at airshows in Waco, Texas.  The Concorde was there one year and one could even sign up for a brief, if quite expensive "ride".   One exciting demonstration was done by a Marine Corp AV-8B Harrier.  Wow, was that thing LOUD!  😀

Yeah I was lucky to see a Harrier AV-8 of the Spanish Navy on the weekend.

I'd love to see an F-14 perform but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Did the Concorde do an aerial display?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oberleutnant said:

Yeah I was lucky to see a Harrier AV-8 of the Spanish Navy on the weekend.

I'd love to see an F-14 perform but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Did the Concorde do an aerial display?

Not really.   It was parked on display and one could get in queue for a tour of the aircraft.  And for a large sum of money (no, I don't recall how much-I couldn't afford it then at any rate, lol), one could book a flight out over the Gulf of Mexico for a brief supersonic "ride".  This must've been circa 1986-88; I have 35 mm prints of the Concorde there, and a lot of the other displays too.  I should spend some time scanning a few of those and post them here. 

10 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Not really.   It was parked on display and one could get in queue for a tour of the aircraft.  And for a large sum of money (no, I don't recall how much-I couldn't afford it then at any rate, lol), one could book a flight out over the Gulf of Mexico for a brief supersonic "ride".  This must've been circa 1986-88; I have 35 mm prints of the Concorde there, and a lot of the other displays too.  I should spend some time scanning a few of those and post them here. 

That's cool. I've never had enough money to go on it either!

Seen them a few times and they still look amazing in my opinion.

That and the SR71 look space age - one or two others too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

That and the SR71 look space age - one or two others too.

You're right.  My wife and I watched "First Man" a few nights ago.  It's the movie about Apollo 11 astronaut and first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong.  The movie had some rather harrowing recreation of his ride(s) on an X-15. It was pretty cool too.  I would love to build an X-15 in 1/48...maybe some day! 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parabat said:

Great looking model of this fighter. Great lines, I like the closed canopy, and very cool background, shows off the model well.

I'm glad you left that nice comment Parabat, thanks so much for the kind words.  :worthy:  It's hard to beat an airport for great backdrops and appropriate "atmosphere".   I'm very fortunate to be able to photograph my models out there.   Thanks again! 🙂

Nice "Bug" Gary! Just out of the paint shed, but a whole lot better than having every bleedin' panel line faded and inked in! Not my scale, but a very nicely done model. Is Cameron close to Killeen/Ft. Hood? Used to love seeing the Ft. Hood modelers every year at their contest.

Mike

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Nice "Bug" Gary! Just out of the paint shed, but a whole lot better than having every bleedin' panel line faded and inked in! Not my scale, but a very nicely done model. Is Cameron close to Killeen/Ft. Hood? Used to love seeing the Ft. Hood modelers every year at their contest.

Mike

Thank you much Mike!  I have to agree on those "overdone" (?) panels we sometimes see.  They do look artistic and there probably is an aircraft out there that does look like that.  But, maybe not always so realistic?  But, of course, it's what makes one happy, and I like see all good models, in every style too!  I appreciate your comments a lot!   😀

Cameron is roughly 50 miles east of Killeen, about 30 miles east of Temple.  I recall seeing some fantastic armor models in a hobby shop there, maybe 15 years ago now. 🙂

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

Thank you much Mike!  I have to agree on those "overdone" (?) panels we sometimes see.  They do look artistic and there probably is an aircraft out there that does look like that.  But, maybe not always so realistic?  But, of course, it's what makes one happy, and I like see all good models, in every style too!  I appreciate your comments a lot!   😀

Cameron is roughly 50 miles east of Killeen, about 30 miles east of Temple.  I recall seeing some fantastic armor models in a hobby shop there, maybe 15 years ago now. 🙂

Most likely the armor models were built by Stephen "Cookie" Sewell, who was stationed at Ft. Hood at the time- an incredible armor builder, who reviews kits for several magazines, and is  one of the nicest people you could hope to meet- when Cookie showed up at a contest, you figured the trophies were done deals! (Hot enough for you, yet?)

Mike

• Like 1

Mike, I've heard of him; it's cool that I may have seen his work!  Hot enough?  Well, we haven't officially hit 100* yet, although I've seen 104* on a thermometer on our patio...mostly shaded too.😉  Last year was much hotter thus far.  When I had to work outside for (for many years) I always dreaded the onset on the Texas summer.  Here's a pic from last summer, one year ago yesterday in fact!  😀

110%20in%20the%20shade%207.23.19%202.42P

Edited by Gary Brantley