BAe Hawk, 1.72 Red Arrows

I built this little kit as a paint test mule for my spraycan of "Rover-Vermilion"  from Halford's. 

I had the 1.32 scale Hawk on the go at the time, and done a scratch built flap makeover on it. 

So when I looked at building this one, I started wondering what if......? 

It was a bit more fiddly at this scale, but worth having a go. 

It's a very noticeable feature of the Hawk that when they're parked the flaps are down, and they don't go up again until the engine is fired up. 

ra%2054.jpg

(BM walkaround pic)

It's a feature that is ignored by all the makers, even in the huge 1.32 example by Revell. And looking around on the modelshow tables it doesn't seem to be something that modellers go for very often. 

Anyhow, I thought I ought to post her on here just to encourage any Hawk builders to reach for the knife and saw! 

IMG_20190721_114341

IMG_20190721_114321

IMG_20190721_114415

IMG_20190721_114310

IMG_20190721_114233

IMG_20190721_131316

I think it's worth the effort. 

Thanks for looking 😎

• Like 26

16 minutes ago, Harry Fraser-Urquhart said:

the lack of the white stripe

Ah, good point Harry. 

The cockpit partition which carries that detail came out and is still awaiting a refit! 

Thanks for the reminder, I will get onto it. 

You're right, it was a bit fiddly, but I had pulled it off with the 1.32 kit and couldn't resist having a go at downsizing. 

You're right: a parked Hawk's not complete unless the flaps are down & in 1/72 they're fiddly little bu99ers! I've done it on 3 of mine now so I feel your pain... but it's well worth it.

Edited by DougC
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2019 at 1:17 PM, rob Lyttle said:

It's a very noticeable feature of the Hawk that when they're parked the flaps are down, and they don't go up again until the engine is fired up. 

It's a feature that is ignored by all the makers,  

Except Airfix and Italeri.....So, not ALL then....

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Oh yeah @Devilfish.

That Italieri kit in 1.48 does look like a good one. 

Just Revell that's bone idle....? 

The Italeri kit is very good,  Hobbyboss also don't give the flaps down option, plus their shape is very bad...

I recently built the 1/48 Italeri (camo), Airfix (red/white/grey) and Hobbyboss (Red Arrow) Hawks.  Italeri definitely the best of the 3.  

46129466144_90a5aa68d3_k.jpgDSC_0837 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice!

You are correct, infact I dont think I've ever seen this done with a 1/72 Hawk.

If you dont mind I've saved your pics as a reference as I now plan on doing my own version, I just need to learn how to create my own open electronics bays and things to go for a full on open look.

• Like 1

Nice Hawks Rob and Paul....and also for the heads up on the flaps. I'm usually a prop type of chap, but I have an itch to reach for a Hawk or two now.

Has to be said, that the Hawk, like the Hunter, is one of those jets that just looks nice from any angle. It's a pretty aeroplane.

Steve

• Like 1