Spitfires by Mark1 and Eduard - which version to convert to Seafire?

bootneck

Obviously not!  I seem to have remembered the agonies but not the conclusions.  I must copy the key postings across to a Word file for ease of access in future.

Edit:  done.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Zippythehog said:

........ unless you’ve got your heart set on the 1/144 scale? 

There is another scale??  :analintruder:

Mike :penguin:

• Haha 2

Building in 1/144 in a sense may help a bit as some details that are evident in 1/72 scale may not be as easily seen on a smaller model... that is a good excuse to avoid reproducing them.

Of course if you are one of those modellers who likes to add all details, doing so on a 1/144 Seafire is going to make things more challenging than on a larger model.

Thanks Giorgio,  I make models just for the sheer pleasure of the build and I don't display at shows etc., so extra detailing would be just a whim on my part.  Sometimes, if I see a nicely finished model here on BM,  or if someone provides some tips or advice on how to enhance a kit, then I may have a go just for the practice.

I have the following kits available for me to build my Seafires.   I am hoping to build a late war version, plus a Korean War version. 

spacer.png

I think you are right Giorgio, in relation to the scale and size, and I don't think that I will bother making floor pedals or throttle levers for this.

spacer.png

Even with two Seafires, I would still have seven kits left to build Spitfires later, so please keep the info and details coming.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Of course if you are one of those modellers who likes to add all details, doing so on a 1/144 Seafire is going to make things more challenging than on a larger model.

At a Seattle IPMS contest some years ago I saw a 1/144 Spit (Israeli markings, if I remember right) with the hood slid back and the door flopped down.  I was impressed, but had no desire whatsoever to try to emulate it!  On the other hand, I have been Jonesing for a Brengun 1/72 Quickie, partly out of the sheer fact of its teensiness...

44 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I am hoping to build a late war version, plus a Korean War version. 

Late war = Seafire III and/or Seafire XV. Both are high back. 

Seafire III: start with late Mk IX kit, slice off nose, reattach and shape in. Use Mk V oil cooler, late IX vokes intake, scratch tailhook. I would use a pencil to create the strengening plates in the fuselage sides as metal or plastic would be too pronounced in this scale. Draw the wing fold line with a pencil. 

Seafire XV: start with Mk IX kit, slice off the nose and replace with Mk XVIII nose but shortened. Scratch the tailhook and reshape the rudder. Remove the prop blades and use 4 blades from the XVIII kit as Griffin rotated in opposite direction. Draw the wing fold line with a pencil. 

Korean War: Seafire FR.47

Start with FR 18 kit, reshape the nose intake, reshape the windscreen, reshape the wing planform slightly, change the ailerons, scratch some new outer gear doors, enlarge the rudder/fin, enlarge the tailplanes, scratch a new tail hook. Draw the wingfold line with a pencil. Oh, and convert 2 props into a counter rotating prop with 6 blades. 

I know I missed something...

Tim

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tim,

that Seafire FR.47 looks to be quite a challenge and I might just be tempted to have a go at that first.  I'm off to Google plans and schematics for details.

Gingerbob, I shall look out for details on the door and cockpit and try to include that. 

cheers

Mike

On 23/07/2019 at 14:07, bootneck said:

that Seafire FR.47 looks to be quite a challenge and I might just be tempted to have a go at that first.

On point Mike, which is that while the late Spitfire/Seafire wing is very different in strcuture and detail, the outline is the same,  so doing the mods in 1/144 is probably easier than in larger scale, but still a lot of work.  

Is there a late wing Spitfire in 1/144th?  as in Spitfire 22/24?  Sorry, it's late and feeling lazy and don't fancy a trip(again) down the search engine rabbit hole....

• Like 1

I work at the Helicopter Museum on Wednesdays and, while I was there today, a friend called in and loaned me a box of completed 1:72 Seafires.  I shall check them out tomorrow more thoroughly, however initial looks tell me there is a clipped wing and a pointy wing version; a six prop contra and and a four prop version. There are others in the box but they may just be repeats. This means that I now have something tangible to use as reference material for my build(s).

Vernier calipers at the ready!

cheers,

Mike