Frog Sea Venom, 1/72

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I might also have a Falcon one too, I forgot the Sea Venom was in that set

Want it?

Thank you, although I bought the Pavla one on ebay last night so hopefully that should be ok. Unless I manage to break that one as well!

Booms added, starting to look like a Venom now. The fit wasn't the best so I used PVA glue to fill the joins. I'll sand it later when it's dry.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

I hope you don't mean PVA glue because that does not like to be sanded no matter how long it sits

For the booms you might have been better to use cyanoacetate glue which can be sanded when it dries if you have an overlap

Would even glue it on and then used Humbrol or Squadron putty to fair it in

That is harder than Perfect Plastic Putty to enable proper sanding to be done

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a brief holiday, it's back to the Venom. A few of these beauties arrived as ebay bargains too!

spacer.png

Sea Venom masked ready for the underside spray ...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

spacer.png

Well well. A 1/72 FAA love nest! Some great subjects there, very good taste.

The Sea Venom is coming along nicely, and although that Attacker will bneed some work, as Bill says, you will get much help here.

Terry

• Like 1

I dont even have it any more but I am certain the Frog Attacker was of the 'solid wheel bay, slot for the legs and doors' era

If it was a two part wing like the Gannet making bays will be a piece of cake...

(Must search Scalemates later for pictures or click the link...)

Thanks Steve

Ah yes it is a two part wing, each side, so much much easier to detail a bay

You will need to make better (longer) legs though

• Like 2

I’m loving the box art on that Attacker.  The batsman looks like he’s ... I have no idea what (but definitely not giving that pilot any help).

Anyway, a lovely post-War Fleet Air Arm extravaganza in store; excellent taste!

• Haha 3

HINT

Do not let this ravening horde know when you start the Gannet

They will all be egging you on to make it with accurate wing folds

Hinges working and everything

(Don't ask how I know...)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The batsman looks like he’s ... I have no idea what (but definitely not giving that pilot any help).

Maybe he was a *South African batsman, and wasn't really trying?

*insert cricket team as required.

Ian

• Haha 1

nice, and brave, work with the Sea Venom, be nice to see this shape up.

The Attacker kit is basic, but worth the effort put in, however the Airfix Sea Hawk is truly ghastly.  It is one of the few kits that I have thrown away.  I would try and source the lovely MPM Special hobby one which is nice and in a different league.

And, if you are up for a bit of selling and buying I would personally chop the Hasegawa Sea Harrier for either the Italeri or Fujimi (I got one for a fiver with a Wessex HU.5!) ones, which are that bit more accurate.

The Wyvern kit is a thing of absolute beauty, Trumpeters finest hour!

• Like 1

Thanks James, interesting to know what lies ahead, especially as I've been away from 1/72 for a bit. The Sea Hawks were very cheap, now I know why!

I always thought Hasegawa was the benchmark for kits, though that was about 25 years ago. I want a Wessex so I might look for that double kit.

Any opinions on the ancient Airfix Buccanner Mk.1? It's the only option for an S.1 isn't it?

The Hase SHar is a nice kit, but not quite as good as the other two (which seem related).

The original Airfix Buccaneer S.1, that will be the NA.39 kit, I would only entertain that now as a nostalgia build, it is woefully lacking in any detail, you can see right through it and the undercarrige is beyond a joke, even for its time.

@perdu has done a benchmark S.1 conversion using the Matchbox S.2 (My favourite of the older kits), hopefully he can find the thread and point you there.

I would hang on for the new tool Airfix Buccaneer kit to come out and either go for an .2 or consider conversion work, hopefully a manufacturer will step up to the plate and give us a decent S.1 conversion.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The Hase SHar is a nice kit, but not quite as good as the other two (which seem related).

The original Airfix Buccaneer S.1, that will be the NA.39 kit, I would only entertain that now as a nostalgia build, it is woefully lacking in any detail, you can see right through it and the undercarrige is beyond a joke, even for its time.

@perdu has done a benchmark S.1 conversion using the Matchbox S.2 (My favourite of the older kits), hopefully he can find the thread and point you there.

I would hang on for the new tool Airfix Buccaneer kit to come out and either go for an .2 or consider conversion work, hopefully a manufacturer will step up to the plate and give us a decent S.1 conversion.

I'm guessing that Airfix will be way ahead in that game by haveing the intakes and exhausts on the same sprue for the S.2 kit thus makeing it easy for them to produce the necessary parts easily for an S.1 with the least trouble, just like they had a seperate spure for the differences between the F4-K and the F-4M.

Gondor

• Like 2

Airframe sprayed upper and lower; I'm reasonably pleased with the colours, especially as the EDSG is glossy. I might try and scribe a few more panel lines in it if I can find a good enough reference photo. It took quite some masking with those twin booms, just needs a bit of touching up but thankfully not much.

spacer.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

however the Airfix Sea Hawk is truly ghastly

Worse than the Frog? I would suggest Hobby Boss as the way to go for a modern Sea Hawk kit. Venom looking good BTW!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, perdu said:

They will all be egging you on to make it with accurate wing folds

Hinges working and everything

Or perhaps a contra rotating prop that actually goes both ways .................🤔

Terry