End of the Red Empire, the Soviet Union and it's subsequent republics 1989 onwards.

Seeing the number of Soviet inspired builds in the 80's Asia GB and looking at some of the requests which aren't eligible I have come up with the idea of running a GB that covers the break up of the Soviet Union and the creation of all of the subsequent republics and countries which got their independence back from 1989 until now.

This GB would follow the same basic rules as ongoing NATO/WARPAC and 80's Asia GB's in that ALL subjects will be covered so anything that flies, floats, submerges, drives or walks will be eligible so long as it falls in the timeline and is from the region described.

So if you want to build something from GSFG right at the end of the Cold War or fancy a nice Kazakh Mig-25/27/29/31 (and who doesn't!) or a Ukranian Su-25/27 then this is the GB for you. If anyone has any other suggestions to make the GB better then I'm all ears, and if anyone wants to co-host I'm more than happy.

So what do you think, shall I start a list?

Craig.

1, Me (obviously!)

2, Trickyrich (unsurprisingly!)

3, Foxbat

4, Zebra

5, Arniec

6, DaveJL

7, Corsairfoxfouruncle

8, Helios16V

9, Jabba

10, Dansk

11, Hewy

12, Jockney

13, Aardvark

14. Beazer

15. Exdraken

Edited by modelling minion

8 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Put me down for this one. I've got a stash full of options (and no doubt will have added a few more by the opening day :D )

Andy

Nice one Andy, I shall add you to the list.

And just like you I will no doubt have a few extra in the stash that fit the bill by then, despite trying to reduce the stash!

ok everyone can relax I'm here now!!! :D

Oh there are soooo many options and evilBay is like a giant candy store! I could raid the stash and go whole hog with a Su-25 or my MiG-31. But there's lots of other super cool stuff available that I know will catch my eye. It'll probably be Ukraine and in some crazy Digital scheme.

This is such a super cool idea can't wait!

• Like 1

Its a good idea Craig... Id love to join in the fun. Honestly though I'm not a fan of late soviet equipment. The Mig-23/27, 25/31, 29, or the Sukhoi 27 series. Maybe an Su-25 but I'm already down for one of those in the Sukhoi group build. I cant find any Mig 21's in service in these areas in 1990 ?  Though if someone knows any differently id be willing to join. Ideally i would prefer one of the "stan's", but anything would work ? I know the kits are out there, i just wonder if i can find the codes/roundels for said air force ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its a good idea Craig... Id love to join in the fun. Honestly though I'm not a fan of late soviet equipment. The Mig-23/27, 25/31, 29, or the Sukhoi 27 series. Maybe an Su-25 but I'm already down for one of those in the Sukhoi group build. I cant find any Mig 21's in service in these areas in 1990 ?  Though if someone knows any differently id be willing to join. Ideally i would prefer one of the "stan's", but anything would work ? I know the kits are out there, i just wonder if i can find the codes/roundels for said air force ? 

Dennis

Dennis there were plenty of Mig-21's in use in those areas, don't forget that you've got the end of the USSR covered and they were still frontline equipment in some areas and they were also used by Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan and of course Russia and I don't think decals are an option as I believe Linden Hill do ones covering most of those states. 

So shall I add you to the list my friend?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whiskey said:

Too bad no one makes an OOB Romanian MiG-21 LancerR.

if you have a look on saclemates you'll see Parc Models and Hobby Park do 1/72nd versions.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=MiG-21+LanceR&fkTYPENAME[]="Full kits"

Wolfpank even do a 1/48th version using the Academy MiG-21 as the base model, haven't read anything on it.

• Like 1

Sounds like the perfect home for my Hungarian MiG-21MF.  :devil:

And yeah, I'm in with something or another.  Got some MiG-29s, a MiG-23, a MiG-31, a Su-27 and others.

• Like 2

Hello Craig @modelling minion got a question ? As helios16v said with his Hungarian A.F. Mig, is a warpac air force eligible ?  By the way the initial post is written i believe it to be strictly Soviet states, and then what became the commonwealth of independent states countries.  

• Like 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle I just went back and re-read.  I think I misread the geographic area on the first go, as being USSR & satellite states...not just the areas that were former republics under the USSR banner.  I'll scrub my Hungarian option as I've got lots of other options.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, whiskey said:

Too bad no one makes an OOB Romanian MiG-21 LancerR.

5 hours ago, helios16v said:

Sounds like the perfect home for my Hungarian MiG-21MF.

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

just wanted to make sure Poland wasn't an option for me ?  

Hi guys,

Yes to clarify the point the ex WARPAC forces would NOT be included in this GB, it is specifically for the Soviet Union and the states which it "acquired" during it's existence (such as Estonia) and the republics which became independent after it's dissolution (such as Kazakhstan), so no Romanian Lancer's or Hungarian or Polish Migs.  And there is a very good reason for doing this as @Col. has another of the NATO/WARPAC GB's proposed which covers these states during the same time period as this GB.

Chris I will add you to the list.

@whiskey is there anything in the region that interests you and can I add you to the list? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Craig @modelling minion. I can't say that there is at this time. I do have a few MiG-21s stashed away but those are for other future projects and I can't think of any other USSR aircraft I possess. There subjects, Su-17/22, Su-27 series, MiG-29s, MiG-31, etc. etc. that I want to model but I don't have any of them right now and probably won't be acquiring them before this pops up on the calendar. If that changes I'll throw my hat into the ring.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whiskey said:

Hi Craig @modelling minion. I can't say that there is at this time. I do have a few MiG-21s stashed away but those are for other future projects and I can't think of any other USSR aircraft I possess. There subjects, Su-17/22, Su-27 series, MiG-29s, MiG-31, etc. etc. that I want to model but I don't have any of them right now and probably won't be acquiring them before this pops up on the calendar. If that changes I'll throw my hat into the ring.

That's alright mate, no problem. We will be here if you change your mind.

Don't forget though that a fair few if the ex-Soviet republics now use Western equipment such as the UH-1, EC-145 and CASA C-295 and also Western vehicles such as the Humvee and even Western ships like the OPV-62.