B-57B Canberra (Night Intruder), Airfix, 1/72

B-57B Canberra | 1/72 | Airfix

United States Air Force -- 71st Bomb Squadron, 38th Bomb Wing, Laon air base France, 1957

W0iHlz4.jpg

Finished this on July 19th, 2019. This build is something I've wanted to do since High School. I'm finally making the B-57 I wanted to make when I got the Testor's kit for Christmas in High School. You see, the Testors decals were transparent, and while bright red on the sheet, turned a hard-to-see dark red on the model. I was terribly disappointed since I'd been looking forward to making that model for a while and the manufacturer let me down. So I have finally done it! :D 

I looked for decals to match the ones in the Testors kit from the 80's and had no luck for a long time. Finally, I started seeing a few B-57 builds with bright red lettering, and they all had the same scheme, which meant they all used the same decals.  But no one was kind enough to say what they were!!  Well, one person did, which is how I got them. So if any one is in the same predicament I was: it is Xtradecal X72103.

Finishing: Seams filled with CA (superglue), recreated panel lines using Mr. Surfacer 500 (Technique detailed in my WIP).

Paints:  Tamiya TS-14 Black spray decanted into an airbrush and thinned with Mr. Leveling thinner > Tamiya X-22 clear thinned with Mr. Leveling thinner as an sealer coat (reacted bad with the decals)

Decals: Xtradecal X72103

Weathering/Wear: Oil wash in the wheel wells.

QPokumH.jpg

Upvym1v.jpg

VStdBqb.jpg

CqFI05F.jpg

649o81G.jpg?1

cDe7rcX.jpg?1

The landing gear wells didn't have any detail, so I added some using some half-round styrene:

XEPvIds.jpg

The nose gear did come with detail, however!

GAwqrQa.jpg?1

And to show you how bad the original Testors kit was, here they are side by side:

1sRuFLa.jpg?1

Build notes:

• The Airfix kit seems to be an adaptation of the BAC Canberra kit, which means the bombs were the wrong shape, so I scavenged the ones from my high school kit. Also, the pylons were to too far inboard for a US Canberra
  • Tamiya X-22 thinned with Mr. Leveling thinner reacted badly with the decals, especially the red parts.  They wrinkled badly and, while most smoothed back out, a couple didn't and appear to be permanent.  Luckily, you have to get pretty close to see it, but it is still aggravating.

Thanks for looking! Comments, questions and constructive criticism always welcome!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Well done model. First time I have seen a Canberra that looks like this. 

Interesting issue with the X22. I had trouble with my Me 262 project. I used the Tamiya flat clear with Mr leveling thinner and ended up

With a white dusty and blotchy finish. I wonder if  Mr leveler has a problem with Tamiya clears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello

This is very nicely done. I love this scheme especially I live near the former Laon Couvron Air Base.

I still have in my stash the Testor box for a future build .... with hundreds of other boxes.

Some years ago I built an Italeri B-57 but in Pakistani colours and with a slighty modified nose.

Thank you for sharing.

Patrick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Greg Law said:

First time I have seen a Canberra that looks like this.

When I first saw the box for the original Testors kit in High School, I was wow'd! The red-on-black was very striking, indeed. And you can imagine my disappointment when it turned out the way it did!  Actually, I had never seen a Canberra before and I was intrigued by the straight-winged bomber that look a little bit like the WWII planes I loved so much!

10 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I wonder if  Mr leveler has a problem with Tamiya clears.

I'm beginning to think that might be true. It sure gave me quite a thrill.  If you look at my WIP, you'll see what it did to the decals.  The "USAF" on the top is still bubbled, unfortunately.

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

A great effort, mate, on a kit that is less than perfect.

Thank you, Sir! The kit was a bit of a challenge, but certainly not the worst I've ever done! :D 

9 hours ago, VG 33 said:

I live near the former Laon Couvron Air Base.

Neat! I hope you get to build your Testors B-57 sometime soon.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very enjoyable build to follow as well.

Thanks, Dennis! Glad to have you along. Your input is always useful.

4 hours ago, billn53 said:

I really, really like this! Thanks for sharing your WIP.

Thank you, Sir! Its a great feeling to complete a project that's been on your mind off and on for the last *ahem* 20 years. I hope my WIP is useful to someone in the future.

• Like 1

You really seem to have brought out the very best in this kit!  The overall completed model is really beautiful.  I had the idea of doing the B-57 in bare metal somewhere down the line but now I'm tempted to follow your example and go the black night bomber route.  Well done!  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mdauben said:

You really seem to have brought out the very best in this kit!  The overall completed model is really beautiful.  I had the idea of doing the B-57 in bare metal somewhere down the line but now I'm tempted to follow your example and go the black night bomber route.  Well done!  

Thank you! The first picture on my WIP is the box top, which is a completed "Bare metal" Canberra. It got me to thinking that now I have a spare (the old one from High School), I might give a Bare Metal Canberra a go!  Gotta say I like the black and red scheme best though!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...