1921 Canadian Fishing Schooner Bluenose 1/64 scale

Next part of the build was to redo some of the items I had made a long time ago, and it all started by looking at some pictures and then looking at the hoisting engine cover box, jumbo jib boom crutch etc so first pic is the drawing supplied, next two picture show what I made will use some of the pieces the rest will be binned.

hxUrx7.jpg

I9LUWt.jpg

HtkHar.jpg

What caught my eye was the black mounting frame under the white engine hoist box, it looked to me (I could be wrong) that this was sloping so that the engine was seating parallel to the stations. (Pictures are to help with my build if not allowed please delete)

OsK5Ff.jpg

Hmu8tN.jpg

So remade the box but this time made it with round corners as per pic's, cut some 1/16" wide planks out of boxwood and made the base to the curvature of the deck, also made it have the pull out to get at engine.

zyKEHT.jpg

t7bgqO.jpg

c6vZVP.jpg

Lpe7Nw.jpg

Found out what engine went on the Bluenose so found a picture which looked like the drawing and thought why not add (Pictures are to help with my build if not allowed please delete)

5aBClD.jpg

Z4NuJi.jpg

EVy2AW.jpg

Here is my take on the engine still have to add parts but did make the sprockets on the flywheels wrong made them with eight spooks instead of six :facepalm:

wYojsY.jpg

Yf4NVg.jpg

Made the body as per pic and drawing

Yf4NVg.jpg

4JAYOb.jpg

Then added the water tank and exhaust pipe

zkLb5U.jpg

And it fit nice inside the box, will make the top cover with working hinges. 

60540J.jpg

kD1Ud0.jpg

Carrying on with the redo parts all gears for the winch gear came in the kit were made of white metal and not very good looking so made my own, this is what came with the kit

LOgOQQ.jpg

Started by making the bearings four in total, then made two 12 tooth gears one to go under winch gear and the other to go on counter shaft stand

Q3uIIY.jpg

Next was to make the big winch gear, turned on lathe and then cut teeth on milling machine used .030" and .020" ball mills to get what I wanted did cut the right amount of spooks :smile:.

cEJhsV.jpg

gWLN0V.jpg

cQ2Iyj.jpg

Then made the end bell shape winches 

YoCYDY.jpg

Next were the sprockets for chain drive three in total one was an 8 tooth and the other two were 13 tooth, last two gears were made for the pawl, at the same time this was happening I noticed I had made the Boom crutch to high and also had the gears to low so I made a new boom crutch out of box wood so this is how it came out, all brass was blackened with casy black

gYitgv.jpg

ox7qbL.jpg

F4nhOL.jpg

ktiVzF.jpg

SKtB6z.jpg

Did not like the supplied Pawl's so made two of them

fgydy8.jpg

jLdyrm.jpg

Tmokkg.jpg

The last part for this area was the counter shaft stand again sides were made from white metal all sides were box shape but should have been angle so made as per drawing

Kit supplied sides

Zb0pKZ.jpg

d0ImPu.jpg

STKRo1.jpg

7D5129.jpg

fzLmbJ.jpg

Will use a 1:12 motor bike chain for the drive, couldn't find anything else.

nLbJ7M.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Seen a few of those old style engines while growing up on a farm in Nova Scotia, in the 60's. We had one, but it only had one flywheel. It was stored way in the back of a shed. Sometime in the 90's, while back home for a visit, Dad, my older brother and I hauled it out and hooked up a 5-gallon gas can to it. Dad wrapped a rope around the belt pulley on the driveshaft and gave it a pull. On the second try, it started. It chugged away for a few minutes, then we shut off the fuel and put it back in the shed.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Happy belated New year to all hope everyone is staying safe been slacking with posting progress on the Bluenose, bit late but thanks Kev (yes a nutter I am :bye:), John and Chris for your posts, have done quite a bit more will post an update in the next couple of days.

Regards

Richard

• Like 4