On 2/9/2020 at 9:41 PM, longshanks said:

Good to see you back Richard.

A creation of great beauty by an artist

:clap2:

Kev

On 2/9/2020 at 10:04 PM, beefy66 said:

Yes it has been a while but worth the wait cracking job 👍

Beefy

Been awhile but good to be back thanks very much for all your nice comments :like:

Having the hatch slide back and forth I thought why not make the doors work so made some small hinges :mental:

tu4sT2.jpg 

s0OXUv.jpg

bqxTfT.jpg

Q1sYI7.jpg

Then made the doors out of Boxwood and machined the grove with a .030 ball cutter 

u3lPaS.jpg

Still have to make the pins for now just stuck some .010" rod to hold

wixG32.jpg

yngrXt.jpg

Then made the compass housing out of box wood cover I made by cutting small strips of wood to go around shape

5VBHxt.jpg

eIf35q.jpg

KjXNTs.jpg

Glued the bottom of compass housing to cabin so when I make the compass I can add, compass top fits nice and snug

M1l63y.jpg

kw2QGO.jpg

Did notice I had the Catheads sticking up to high so now made them closer to rail as per drawing

gSwLWD.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Well time for another update, carrying on with the cabin I was looking at the drawing to see what smoke stack to use and I noticed it said the bent pipe may have been used when Bluenose was racing, so I look at another book I have bought which is for the Bluenose 11 by LB Jenson (great book) and in it there is a page for the original Bluenose which shows it with a Liverpool Head.

deiS7O.jpg

sgIHbX.jpg

I scale the drawing approx and here is my take on a Liverpool Head, started with smoke pipe and made connection plate to top of cabin

QdgOFL.jpg

J5hRui.jpg

Then took a piece of tube three sizes bigger and machined four slots in the 0, 90, 180 and 270 deg then cut two small piece to fit inside the part I machined then two more to fit inside the small pieces to get the size all these parts were soldered together.

Lv0V5d.jpg

LueK7G.jpg

Got the gap I was looking for from the slot to the inside pipe

XRfflj.jpg

Then machined the head and cut two more thin pieces of tube to go on the outside of smoke stack and soldered all parts together

54Jpnp.jpg

6hD58s.jpg

Will paint it sliver

nnGXZE.jpg

pUHuCL.jpg

Wheel house was next, followed the drawings provided also found a picture on the web and in a book I bought showing the same as the drawing provided, date of pictures where of the Bluenose when she was sold  in 1946, again made all parts from Boxwood, pictures are to help with my build if not allowed please remove thanks..

s4Ttlo.jpg

sAOnef.jpg

pno3Kz.jpg

Cut the four sides but before putting together machined a .030" ball for the groove should have done two small grooves but did not have a .10" mill, then I made the lid , it is made so that it would fit without gluing 

Ir7sN8.jpg

FfQD8F.jpg

Made the coaming for the bottom and as the picture rounded the edge on the top, also put the chamfer on the front edges

7HIYd2.jpg

OBsDIn.jpg

Cut the slot for the wheel shaft and beveled the edges front and back to the lid, got to make those small hold clips :cyclops:  the groove is a little to close the the coaming but I will leave it as is. 

ce0YUs.jpg

Here is a picture of the steering wheel which came with the kit, it didn't look the greatest so looking at the drawing supplied I decided to machine my own, drawing scale was 3/8" = 1'-0" and it gave a nice drawing of the shaft and linkage I thought why not have a go making all parts. found another picture on the web (of Bluenose 11) which gave me another view on how it went together.

ZFYRrX.jpg

8uanID.jpg

avTofF.jpg

Started by machining the rim (which in the real world was cast) in the lathe and machine the first face leaving some material so that once I parted off I could turn it around and machine the other side, then it was in the mill so that I could drill the holes for the spokes, drilled the holes bigger than the spoke so I could add tubing two times the size of the spoke, then parted it of in the mill with the table/chuck laying down 

6XLbjw.jpg

WQW9yA.jpg

The largest tubes I soldered to the rim

32uxeo.jpg

pUSUXf.jpg

Machined the hub and drilled 8 holes, cut some small tube which will go on the hub, then made a jig so that I could solder all parts together without it moving, picture does not show the small tube by hub

Y0xBks.jpg

Did make the shaft using small bolts and tube

R96Imw.jpg

Here it is after soldering needs to be cleaned up

e65Xba.jpg

XrVlUD.jpg

Next up was to make the handles out of boxwood, I took a 1/4" tool steel and ground the shape

Hlh43R.jpg

fXuJSw.jpg

Now it is cleaned up and also made the unidentified round object, made that out of apple, made the lid to go on top

iHQm9H.jpg

CL7Qzs.jpg

Yerf8H.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 9

Thanks very much everyone for you kind comments and likes do appreciate them, I very much enjoying working on this great Schooner.

After the wheel was completed (except for painting) I starting making the steering linkage system, I pinned and glued a piece of rod to the rudder then drilled a hole through the deck, then cut it down to size as per drawing provided.

atIpGK.jpg

Rw3vtX.jpg

yydBa7.jpg

weSYZT.jpg

Made a jig so that I could build the linkage off the model, made the same size rod and glued it to the same angle

j8P76F.jpg

Started with the bracket which went on the rudder shaft, machined the collar then machined two half circles 180 deg apart so that I could solder two small tubes for the connection arms

xdMH96.jpg

rwmMlt.jpg

vO3PjV.jpg

Did not use the first shaft I made because the nuts were to big so threaded some brass with a 1/16"-60 Whit die (got these from my Dad a long time ago), threaded both parts but I know one needed to be a left hand thread and I didn't have one.

IndU5B.jpg

FlEfUX.jpg

Then made the top shaft connection bracket, started with a 1" long piece of round brass, then taking another piece of the same size brass machined one of the side connection with the step, filed so that it would fit the round brass, for the other side I drilled a hole and inserted a piece of brass rod then soldered both parts, put it in the lathe and drilled and then taped with the same size 1/16"-60 Whit after that I saw cut to the size as per drawing.

6yGh7t.jpg

4onglo.jpg

Arms for the lower part were up next used .010" brass sheared to size, drill holes then made a spacer and soldered together then carefully bent them to shape, made the bottom shaft connection same as top except there are two step side pieces and also I did not tap. 

H6rtWx.jpg

p2Twyg.jpg

xSNB4D.jpg

Last thing was to make the top link arm using .010" brass, shear to size, drill and filing to shape and the back bracket

013OJK.jpg

X379Rf.jpg

lMeNwF.jpg

hJ3uuk.jpg

So now to put all pieces together on the jig

C7pfxf.jpg

gu2Brx.jpg

ZcD528.jpg

MCee7w.jpg

gIFsIh.jpg

9sndqo.jpg

huz3Yh.jpg

As you know I like to see how parts work and then build them in miniature, it was a lot of fun to make will be painting all parts before I install onto the rudder shaft.

Regards

Richard  

• Like 9

• 5 months later...

Hi Kev its been awhile again and yes should get back to updating my blog, man can't believe its been close to two years in retirement and also 5 1/2 months of Covid hope you all staying safe.

Have done quite a bit to the Bluenose so will start with the small grate which goes by the steering wheel made from boxwood  1/32" x 1/32"

ixvKj8.jpg

Then made the stern Skylight all from Boxwood

5QKgA9.jpg

0hOMNV.jpg

pmXXQN.jpg

MDQKvC.jpg

TzRIA5.jpg

i78kZl.jpg

Next was to build the forward companionway made it so that I could have the top slide same as the main cabin companionway also made it so that the doors lift out.

Did notice that I made the coaming the wrong size so remove re-cut hole and made new one out of boxwood, made the sides from strips of boxwood and glued together then sanded to shape making sure planks were 90 deg to stanchions.

Milled slots in front for slide out doors and machined for the siding canopy.

nksDnF.jpg 

ZSAKoY.jpg

r6zd8z.jpg

HZUR2o.jpg

xXpPbb.jpg

f25BlT.jpg

wj4XxM.jpg

7TmGh9.jpg

EGPhSg.jpg

Made the slide part a little different and found it way better

Vr3wnX.jpg

QjS2R4.jpg

CzP4RA.jpg

fc6V3U.jpg

NWoq5x.jpg

b6QuwU.jpg

U5YAxw.jpg

Once I looked at them both on the model I thought I should remove the other coaming on the skylight and make out of boxwood,so they matched better, so removed and remade coaming but also remade the skylight this time using same size planks as the companionway and set them to sit 90 deg to stanchions same as companionway then machined the two port holes, I think these now look good.

NDUsdE.jpg

oK0oZM.jpg

9RZcGT.jpg

UvNp0F.jpg

Then looked at the center Boom Buffer and was not happy with the kit supplied part made one the same but then I looked at the drawing and thought :think:

PTfTVa.jpg

cUlNoZ.jpg

Well had to make it eh :nodding: used some ebony for the rubber parts

IA6lS8.jpg

JOuPCS.jpg

72iPJz.jpg

The Galley stack came whitemetal too so remade it out of brass

XEqJSu.jpg

yD8c7K.jpg

QbRkTN.jpg

Until next time stay safe and wash your hands :smile:

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

On 9/14/2020 at 10:39 PM, beefy66 said:

Nice to see this one progressing no surprise it’s taking this long all the small details that buffer looks an amazing bit of micro engineering 

Stay Safe 

beefy  

Thanks for the comment Beefy the buffer came out as I had planed, have been working on her the last 4 months but have not been updating progress but rectifying that now here is a picture of the main buffer so you will see it.

PMCwKP.jpg

On 9/14/2020 at 10:41 PM, steve5 said:

you have some sublime skills richard , I tip's me lid to ya

Thanks very much Steve

On 9/14/2020 at 11:40 PM, longshanks said:

Thank you Richard, I've had my morning fix. i.e. 10mins with my mouth hanging open.

Beautiful work, you've not lost your touch

Stay safe

Kev

Thanks to you as well Kev. 

On 9/15/2020 at 6:02 AM, JohnWS said:

Beautiful work, Richard.  Looking forward to your next up date.

Time does go by fast when you're having fun. ;)

John

You are right about time and yes having a lot of fun building this great schooner, thanks very much.

22 hours ago, Courageous said:

As others have said, some beautiful engineering here. 

Stuart

Thanks for looking in Stuart 

Regards

Richard

• Like 3