1921 Canadian Fishing Schooner Bluenose 1/64 scale

16 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Amazing how much detail you can build in to your models and this gives me so much inspiration to always try and do mine to this high standard one day 👍🏻

beefy 

Just trying to do as per the drawings Beefy but I tell ya it's the tools I have collected over the years helps me get to the detail I want, I can tell you your standard is right up there mate you don't have wait one day :clap2:

15 hours ago, Courageous said:

Definitely inspirational. Enough so, that I recently purchase the Airfix Bounty kit and The Anatomy of a Ship Book...but that rigging is scaring me death.

Stuart

That is brilliant Stuart finish that one and then start a wooden Bounty, have three of those Anatomy of a ship books they are great.

Regarding rigging you should buy this book it is brilliant will be using it when I do the rigging on the Endeavour

ARvw0r.jpg

QBDilL.jpg

It is full of pictures, here are a couple, this is just to show whats inside if this is not allowed please delete

v4k3oF.jpg

1wZ8H5.jpg

Do have these two as well

ya651e.jpg

1243zc.jpg

I too have not done much rigging myself Stuart started on the Endeavour, 13 years ago :sad:  will be doing the Bluenose, I'am going to do as per Martain said, "do it in stages" :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, longshanks said:

What can I say . . . .    :shrug:

:clap2:

Kev

Always appreciate your comments Kev

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Incrediblness ( i know its not a word) continues! 

:like: that word, its coming along eh I think this is one of my favorite hobbies (Wooden Ships) I do appreciate your comment

Off to visit grandkids in Fort St John for the long weekend so until then

Regards

Richard

37 minutes ago, Murdo said:

Lovely stuff!!!

Thanks very Much Murdo 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ripaman said:

but that rigging is scaring me death.

I agree with Richard on the Lennarth Petersson book. I have his books for fore & aft and square sail. Deals with each part as a separate subject. The model version can only be a step forward.

On the subject of rigging, you could set the vessel where she would have a sails sent down. Thereby halving the required rigging. 

One further bit of advice. If this is your first venture into a full rigged ship don't get bogged down in detail.

Looking forward to seeing you progress.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 1:50 AM, longshanks said:

I agree with Richard on the Lennarth Petersson book. I have his books for fore & aft and square sail. Deals with each part as a separate subject. The model version can only be a step forward.

On the subject of rigging, you could set the vessel where she would have a sails sent down. Thereby halving the required rigging. 

One further bit of advice. If this is your first venture into a full rigged ship don't get bogged down in detail.

Looking forward to seeing you progress.

Kev is your book a lot different than the one I have :hmmm:

On 11/3/2019 at 8:14 AM, Mike W said:

Beautiful work to date.

Mike

Thanks Mike another update coming soon

Regards

Richard

Time for an update,

Started to look at how I was going to build the cabin

BwfFYq.jpg

The coaming for the cabin is not flat, it has an arc from port to starboard and concave from fore to stern

rKxJFs.jpg

I decided I would make the same shape as the coaming on the deck so that I could build off the model, so shaped some wood to fit the inside of the coaming and glued it together 

Then made the outside shape

9HbGya.jpg

CVnA4E.jpg

OA2UUL.jpg

Started by taking a 1/8 square boxwood and machining a 1/32"  on two sides so that the planks will but up nicely as per drawing

9DGL0B.jpg

Then made my own planks 1/32" thick, four planks total for each side, set them up in my plank bender I have with the slight bend and then glued them together

Jb4GIH.jpg

Once dried cut to length and trail fitted in my jig, rounded the corners as per drawing and then made sure it worked on model

7yCim9.jpg

aTgYvl.jpg

tmW4ds.jpg

Once I had all sides done and glued to the posts I added some 1/8" boxwood all around top and added beams

TUTDXg.jpg

3l3vVH.jpg

Then added supports for cabin skylight and companionway

hUm7kh.jpg

3hafP7.jpg

qItROw.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

23 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Richard, your craftmanship continues to excel. Regards,Jeff.

Thanks Jeff

Made a couple of portholes, not sure if I like them yet   

dlbknU.jpg

Then added the outside edges of the roof cut this from 1/16" cherry

heE0Rv.jpg

cpfBNe.jpg

Then I need to make a moulding as per the drawing so I filed a shape into a blade made a jig so the I could scraped some boxwood and it came out just as I wanted

zNiraZ.jpg

YLa79v.jpg

5Cd9X1.jpg

mLl1TP.jpg

pwvqM7.jpg

Machined the corners out of boxwood as close to the shape and cut into 90 deg pieces

gwOfxv.jpg

Cut the roof planks out of boxwood and these will be tapered to fit roof.

D2sGLv.jpg

Until next time.

Regards

Richard 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Nice work on the moulding, Richard. :speak_cool: 

Thanks for your comment John, it took a few attempts tried at first to make scraper out of a thin saw blade but it broke while I was scraping

Below a picture of the real moulding.

wEOMP2.jpg 

Regards

Richard 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 1:47 AM, longshanks said:

:worthy:

Amazing craftsmanship

Kev

Thank you Kev love building this model very relaxing 

On 11/11/2019 at 11:42 PM, Courageous said:

I agree with John and Kev, craftsmanship. He's got all the weapons and if doesn't, he makes his own :yes:.

Stuart

Hi Stuart my dad told me when I was young  "buy a tool a week and you will be able to build anything" so once I started working I did just that  but as you say still have to make some small special ones for certain things like making the small grove on the coamings worked a charm, hope these help 

5y5Oe8.jpg

UK7ngX.jpg

11 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Miniature craftsmanship at its best  :thumbsup:

beefy

Do appreciate your kind words Beefy 

1 hour ago, Murdo said:

I'm not sure if this is modelling, carpentry or just plain shipbuilding... Or all three...

Fabulous work!!!

:mike:

Hi Murdo it is differently wood working and modeling, ship building is how Peter is doing his ship :nod: 

Again do appreciate all your kind remarks

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Outstanding work :thumbsup:

Old hacksaw blades are also an excellent source for making molding cutters. File the shape just as you did with the single-edge blade. 

Never thought of that, :doh: do have a few of those kicking around thanks and thanks for looking in

Been planking the cabin each plank is tapered 

bpM0aA.jpg

mghV89.jpg

Last plank to go in and then a light sanding

W3yrR5.jpg

rivhzm.jpg

Now onto the cabin skylight, started with this but made the angle wrong

KwqgaT.jpg

So made a slight change

ULFOqp.jpg

Then looking at a picture of the Bluenose cabin, date not to sure I see the glass goes on top and bars are underneath, so made a step on each side to hold window

iPyh6f.jpg

lSLc9P.jpg

oaIJxP.jpg

Then made a 1/32" thk piece of boxwood cut into four parts, drilled 14  .020" holes 1mm apart in each piece and then glued together

m3mSHA.jpg

yeZqh5.jpg

Now this looks like the skylight on the right of the picture, will add hinges on top as these side both could be raised 

ZEGGia.jpg

Next up will be the companionway

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 11:48 PM, longshanks said:

:poke:

Your fans await you Sir

Kev

Thanks Kev for the poke been awhile eh

On 2/7/2020 at 10:17 PM, Hewy said:

Beautifully engineered 👍

Thanks Glynn its time for an update.

Last post had me saying next up was to make the companionway so here we go, started by making the sides and adding the first step

KnBez9.jpg

Ebp4sI.jpg

Next up was to make the hatch 

keD1Cu.jpg

8kYmme.jpg

4TAggi.jpg

Then I thought I would make the hatch slide so machined a .020" slot in each side and added a piece of .020" wood to the hatch and got it to work

nURSxO.jpg

HLEpo1.jpg

XAfGyJ.jpg

99IHs6.jpg

If I had the hatch open someone might look inside so made the cabin with sides and planked a floor and made the stairs

enHhu8.jpg

bJUE1p.jpg

3Izy5l.jpg

Then made the companionway fit the stairs so I could remove cabin top tp look inside

PXzgK8.jpg

AgQ2Oh.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 7