1921 Canadian Fishing Schooner Bluenose 1/64 scale

Now that I have retired, move to Vancouver Island, built a new hobby room, I have decided to start finishing some of my models which seem to get put aside :think: and this plank on bulkhead hull famous Canadian Schooner will be the first to get finished due to now being so close to the sea.

I started this model back in 2006 (did say in my Churchill WIP that I started in 2010 but then I looked in the first picture properties and it says 2006 and was working on it until 2009 and then stopped) so it has been waiting a long time for me to get back to it.

To start I glued the three piece center keel together and then added the sternpost which needed to be tapered as per plans,  after that was complete I laid out the rabbet, then marked out and cut the bevel on each bulkhead and set up in a jig to hold all straight and square.

sBTjbq.jpg

cist2X.jpg

3ah7Iy.jpg

8PNgUE.jpg

At this time I decided to machine/drilled two blocks of wood (purple hard wood) to fit into space where the mainmast/foremast were going to go so that mast would be perpendicular from side to side

1kBCZT.jpg

rK3FGX.jpg

Once that was done took everything apart and cut the rabbet into each side of center keel and formed all bulwark stanchions, then glued each bulkheads to center keel, to keep everything nice a straight I added permanent strut between bulkheads.

YYU41t.jpg

H8SDtM.jpg

YWgfFN.jpg

P0Yjbm.jpg

Next up was to shape the stern blocks out of solid wood and glue into place, add transom framing and horn timbers.

A7fTLm.jpg

J0Aobk.jpg

GjKt6H.jpg

IqKWXH.jpg

0oW2ZM.jpg

fjNVJy.jpg

Once all the items above where nice and glued I had to feather each bulkhead to the bearding line every bulkhead had to have a smooth flow into the rabbet

qGH8zq.jpg

rO9k9K.jpg

Hope you all will enjoy

Regards

Richard

• Like 12

I’m in! 👍

Please keep posting plenty of pictures so I can learn how to best build something similar (not Bluenose) that I’ve been contemplating for some time.

Great subject by the way. This will look fabulous when complete!

I was lucky and had a ride on it in PictouN.S. a couple years ago. I have a wood model of the Bluenose two. Have yet to build it but will watch this one to learn it.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

What kit are you using? I have built the Artisania Latina kit and I have the Billing Boats kit in progress.

Please ignore - I just noticed the Model Shipways at the head of this thread.

Edited by GrantGoodale

The current one is referred as the 2 1/2 or 3 because it just had another rebuild done just before I rode it. I was told as long you keep the keel and something else, you can keep the name.

14 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I’m in! 👍

Please keep posting plenty of pictures so I can learn how to best build something similar (not Bluenose) that I’ve been contemplating for some time.

Great subject by the way. This will look fabulous when complete!

Welcome aboard Steve do have a few pictures of the build so will show you all I have and hope it helps, it is a great subject

14 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I was lucky and had a ride on it in PictouN.S. a couple years ago. I have a wood model of the Bluenose two. Have yet to build it but will watch this one to learn it.

Luck you would love to take a ride one day, what make of Bluenose do you have.

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

That's for sure

Looking forward to seeing this develop . . .

Kev

I'm looking forward to see this develop as well I have the time and space so no more excuses :fingerscrossed:

It was seeing your unbelievable small boats you make and looking at the sea each day  that made me decide to finish this build thanks for that.

10 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Now this looks like it is going to be very interesting and informative :popcorn:

beefy 

I do hope it will be interesting Beefy boats were what I was into before starting the odessa of the Hurricane

7 hours ago, GrantGoodale said:

What kit are you using? I have built the Artisania Latina kit and I have the Billing Boats kit in progress.

Please ignore - I just noticed the Model Shipways at the head of this thread.

Hi Grant do you have any pictures of your Bluenose would love to see them

5 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

The current one is referred as the 2 1/2 or 3 because it just had another rebuild done just before I rode it. I was told as long you keep the keel and something else, you can keep the name.

You are correct in the instruction manual and plans Model Shipways used were by Ben Lankford and assisted by Erik A.R. Ronnberg Jr, he had his own personal research papers and photographs which revealed differences in  virtually every detail from how the woodwork was finished to rigging leads,  so this Bluenose will be different as well. 

Thanks everyone for likes 

Regards

Richard

Next up was to lay the fore deck waterway planks this consist of three planks the innermost one had to have a bevel on its inboard edge to meet deck planks, to represent sealant I used a 2B pencil on edges also at this stage I added the Great Beam and Deck beam

OZN64b.jpg

zHztl3.jpg

Then added the waterway planks on aft deck, there was only one and the next one innermost is the nibbing strakes 

XUTeXk.jpg

krJvY8.jpg

olzJvL.jpg

Once this was completed I added the knighthead & hawse timbers

K9d1IE.jpg

1Sl1TG.jpg

kuOPyB.jpg

9kOPXE.jpg

Next part was to add all the fake bulwark stanchions this was very time consuming because each stanchion had different angles

VSTWfA.jpg

LNFpMo.jpg

0M3xHx.jpg

gdvlsb.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 9

Mine is the Artensenia Latina 1/75. I rear around it's not bad, not great either. It also represents the original version. I also would like to update it to current status. For anyone who doesn't know, it does have a diesel in it now. Every sailing ship like this requires one I'm told. It's well hidden and quite quiet. I was sitting just above the exhaust and it wasn't bad.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Mine is the Artensenia Latina 1/75. I rear around it's not bad, not great either. It also represents the original version. I also would like to update it to current status. For anyone who doesn't know, it does have a diesel in it now. Every sailing ship like this requires one I'm told. It's well hidden and quite quiet. I was sitting just above the exhaust and it wasn't bad.

Same with this model not sure how accurate it is but do like the shape.

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

Fantastic work to watch.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart hope it will help anyone who wants to build a plank on frame wooded ship, it is a lot of fun.

After all the stanchion were good and had dried next pieces to add were the top rails, these were glued and pinned 

LzFzYg.jpg

foLylq.jpg

FHRLcE.jpg

892fn8.jpg

Then the Buffalo Rail, Monkey Board & Monkey Rail were added

bKShh1.jpg

CZPPl3.jpg

KDKnp9.jpg

HSGDLF.jpg

GSMF3F.jpg

Then I made this jig so that I could install planking, could have the model upright or turn it upside down

CaYhcM.jpg

SebAol.jpg

yIQgsh.jpg

Next pictures show it in the jig and as you see did add some wood to bulkheads were deck structures will go

d8lXBF.jpg

S7YcR9.jpg

Do like the shape of this boat

Next up planking the hull

Regards

Richard

• Like 6

Goes together pretty quick by the looks of it. I'm not super picky on the shape as long as when it's done it's recognized as the Bluenose. i don't have much space for ships so I just have three unbuilts.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:39 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

Goes together pretty quick by the looks of it. I'm not super picky on the shape as long as when it's done it's recognized as the Bluenose. i don't have much space for ships so I just have three unbuilts.

On my first post did say I started this model in 2006 then stopped in 2009, from the the first picture to the last one took 10 months, not sure why I stopped do like building wooden ships. 

On 7/22/2019 at 11:03 PM, longshanks said:

With buffalo rails and monkey boards are you sure you're not building an ark 😉

Enjoyable inspirational work 

Kev

:rofl:The Brits did love there words for things 

On 7/22/2019 at 11:35 PM, Courageous said:

Where do they get these names from.

Stuart

Not to sure Stuart I should try and find out, just wondering if anyone can shine a light on this :hmmm:

Regards

Richard 

Planking the hull was a lot of fun, very time consuming took me 12 months not working on it each day but I.m a bit slow anyway

I put a batten down both sides as equal as you can get so that I could measure from last planked laid to batten then each plank was tapered to fit, planks were 1/8 wide and I cut them to around 7" long which in scale feet is 37' which I know is to long but you have to at least cover four bulkheads.

Once tapered I could bend them a little bit add glue and set them in place with no need for clamps

q1ocQJ.jpg

dUty3U.jpg

3Exgto.jpg

X4cuiz.jpg

rzTSRv.jpg

You can see from this pic the dimensions I tapered these planks

xBwdf0.jpg

So you just keep laying and laying up to batten once you get there you move the batten up so that you can start adding more planks

HDBcRC.jpg

g26Uq5.jpg

Rwra1y.jpg

2bH7cK.jpg

Then finally you get to end :yahoo: think it came out not to bad 

GDiXhp.jpg

4b1mg2.jpg

lR3SVH.jpg

sanded the hull down and then started the deck planking made all parts trial fitted before gluing then also made some coamings for deck structures 

aGStrK.jpg

ZuOCGF.jpg

8gSyz1.jpg

nfQ1Og.jpg

KWnJxX.jpg

Last pic with deck covered

hL3zff.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 9

:wow:Speedy Gonzales does not have a look in 

fantastic whichcraft I mean woodcraft  you’re making it look to easy 

beefy 

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2019 at 7:07 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

Let's go boating, it's done enough.😋

:shrug: With no masts, sails or engine 

On 7/25/2019 at 2:50 AM, beefy66 said:

:wow:Speedy Gonzales does not have a look in 

fantastic whichcraft I mean woodcraft  you’re making it look to easy 

beefy 

No speedy Gonzales here mate from first picture to last picture took 2 yrs, 11 months :weep: but thanks it was alot of fun just very time consuming 

On 7/25/2019 at 4:54 AM, longshanks said:

Beautiful !

Kev

Same as what I think Kev just beautiful smooth lines, here are couple of pictures with the bottom of hull  painted

SuVC79.jpg

2AUkWC.jpg

20 hours ago, Murdo said:

I feel unworthy to even comment here but that is spectacular and incredibly neat work!

:clap2:

Don't ever think that Murdo comment all you like just took patience and time that is all mate 

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

Fantastic stuff.

Sometimes I wish that I didn't have so many plastic kits...

Stuart

Thanks Stuart have both wood and plastic, its alot of fun.

Regards

Richard 

• Like 5

Thought I would start at the bow and make the Bowsprit and I started with machining a piece of cherry to 15/64" and from there it was all filing because the bottom was straight and the top curved

3MVRqc.jpg 

b3lZQE.jpg

OT6UQ6.jpg

Then made up the Windlass & Counter shaft, Winch Gears & Friction Clutch from kits supplied white metal and wood

ZdVm3l.jpg

IQhlCW.jpg

Didn't take to many pic's of this progress but here it is painted

I9LUWt.jpg

OQiBJN.jpg

xanO3d.jpg

HtkHar.jpg

Made some Quarter bitts

N7u1vi.jpg

Then last thing back in 2009 I machined the two masts out of cherry and not sure why but did not take any pic's  

So every think going forward is time spent here on the Island and I do hope I will finally finish her.

Until next time

Regards

Richard 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1