Updated pictures - The Eagle Has Landed

What else to be modelling this amazing anniversary weekend, but the Apollo 11 Lunar Excursion Module "Eagle" which landed in the Sea of Tranquility exactly 50 years ago tonight. 

DSC_3918.JPG

I'm old enough to have watched this amazing event as it happened , and clearly remember that my primary school had every television that it possessed set up, wall to wall, in the dining hall for us to watch. 

DSC_3915.JPG

This was an e-bay purchase of the Airfix 2009 issue, largely out the box (I thought briefly about adding the missing ascent module supporting struts, but I realised Airfix had missed them too late for me to correct them without risking the rest of the model, especially the foil).  I have used the original round base rather than the new vacform since mine was missing, although in many ways I prefer the original.  In fact its not entirely finished  - I haven't completed the final sealing/varnish coats, but couldn't resist a few topical pictures tonight!

DSC_3916.JPG

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz
New pictures
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gengriz said:

I have used the original round base rather than the new vacform since mine was missing, although in many ways I prefer the original. 

I have an Airfix Magazine from "the era" and it has a letter with the classic hint that cigarette ash sprinkled on wet paint on the base makes very effective moondust....

Neat build Fred 

:goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Excellent and timely build Fred,I too remember being called from our classrooms to the TV set up in the assembly hall to see this amazing event.