Panther G camouflage - disk camo?

Robert Stuart

I'm tempted to try a Panther in disc camo, there are plenty of tools (masks, decals &c) out there that can help with the process.

The problem I have is that I can not find much, if any, photo reference.  Are there any good collections of photos or any videos showing Panthers wearing disc camouflage?

TIA

Robert

Sorry I cannot help with any good photo references, however, I have done a disc camo Jagdpanzer using Archer disc dry decals but it was not that easy, even with fresh paint (Archers recommended Tamiya XF-60 as the best match) I had trouble with the dry decals adhering to the surface, they went on better after a coat of future though.  I have just tried to order the Uschi masks but they are out of stock at the moment.  I did buy several packs of the Archer dry decal disc camo to save on postage, as the decals and postage to the UK is not cheap, but after the last experience I would not fancy doing that on something as big as my Maus what-if.

IMG_0785

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

MXpression has a mask very like Uschi's - I found this link on the Historex Agent's site

Hi Robert, I have just ordered some MXpression disc masks for my Hetzer and Panthers so thanks for the link.  On the video he paints some counter shading with green and brown over the other colours, I shall have to check that out as I cannot recall seeing that before.  As I understand, and this comes from the Archers information sheet the tank was camouflaged with the 3 colours sand, brown and green, then cardboard disc masks were placed on the tank and the sand colour sprayed over to make the disc pattern, as per these scale masks.  As usual when modelling late war German camouflage schemes there is a lot of confusion and conjecture out there, so best of luck with your Panther.

• Like 1

I think so Bob, sounds as though there is more info on the Archer sheets than I've seen online?

The colour sequence in that video seems to be:

1. sand,
  2. green,
  3. brown,
  4. and finally discs + sand again?

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

The colour sequence in that video seems to be:

1. sand,
  2. green,
  3. brown,
  4. and finally discs + sand again?

That's correct, as I said I'm not sure about when he applies the mask and sprays green and brown over the sand, I have not seen that on any photos, but I will have another look.

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

P.S. OT, @Retired Bob I haven't built a Hetzer, I'll be interested to see yours in its disc camo

Years ago I built the Italeri 1/35 Hetzer but I could not get the paint scheme right, hopefully this mask will help when I build the newer Tamiya kit I have in the stash.

• Like 1

Well my masking sets arrived, the disc camo one is as per the video, 30 x blocks of disc pattern, each approximately 1 inch square, all identical, then a strip of individual discs in 3 sizes to connect and randomise the camouflage pattern.  Only basic instructions how to use them, referring to the online video for camouflage ideas.  Now I have checked back on the Historex site to make sure I was not being stupid, (easily done) The Hetzer sets and indeed the Panther disc set all used the same picture of MXpression sheets fanned out, and clicking on the individual sheets did not give you a picture of what you would get.  my late war Hetzer sheet turned out to be a hard edged 3 x colour camo pattern, not a disc or dot in sight! perhaps I should have clicked on the ambush scheme?  but to me that is dots or shapes of contrasting colours.  What always amazes me with these masking sets is that they are so 2 x dimensional, the width and height of the upper body panels, with no provision for the huge bulge for the breech mounting, the gun mantlet or any other lumps and bumps! so that is £15 wasted!  I suppose the only way to use them is to assemble the basic hull without any lumpy bits, paint using the masks and then add everything else, using a hairy stick to match them in to the camouflage scheme.  The question is do you still want to do a disc camouflaged Panther, with all my books I still cannot find any decent photos or information for reference.

• Sad 1

@Retired Bob

Hmm, took a look at the MXpression web-site - which may be good for modell making videos, but isn't very helpful about their masks.

I had a quick look at Historex Agent's web-site, in their FAQ's:

What is your refund policy?

Historex Agents will refund any product if your not happy but you must notify us within 7 days.

I'd get in contact with them, and see if you can get a refund, or a swap.

OT, I found a review of the Ambush camo, to my eye, it is pretty close to Skoda's original paint job - but that was more blobby than disk

• Thanks 1