Avis 1:72 Bristol Racer

That looks terrific.  A fascinating little aeroplane which I was unaware of until Avis brought out the kit. They really are doing some interesting subjects. Great work on the paint finish, particularly the wood affect on the propeller boss or whatever it is (thought it might be some early form of Townend ring but that wasn't invented until the late 20s, I believe).  Looking forward to their Bristol M.1C release.

• Like 1

Thanks all!

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

That looks terrific.  A fascinating little aeroplane which I was unaware of until Avis brought out the kit. They really are doing some interesting subjects. Great work on the paint finish, particularly the wood affect on the propeller boss or whatever it is (thought it might be some early form of Townend ring but that wasn't invented until the late 20s, I believe).  Looking forward to their Bristol M.1C release.

Yes, that spinner's a bit weird - the instructions say it's white but it doesn't look white in any of the photos (all the photos I've seen are handily collected here, btw) and it clearly isn't red like everything else.  According to wiki it's made of laminated wood and:

immediately after takeoff on a second flight the spinner disintegrated, the debris causing damage to the wing covering, and the flight was restricted to a single circuit. The first flight had taken place with the spinner unpainted: it had subsequently been painted, and the additional weight of the paint had caused the failure.

...At the same time a new spinner was fitted, this being designed to remain static.

... so I suppose it's the first, unpainted spinner, so wood coloured.

• Like 1