Whatever am i going to do with all these 1/72 Hurricanes ?

cocky05d

Hi thanks to those bods at Aldi ,i have 9 Mk1 Hawker Hurricanes ,also got 6 Mk2cs .Lucky i have got a load of after market decals .

One lot of decals are for Four Luftwaffe captured Hurricanes ,one of which is a PR Hurricane ,it seems to have a camera pod? thing under the fuselage .

Anyone got any info about it ? It is a Mk1 Trop with Rotol prop captured in the desert .Also kept the Sea Hurricane decals and the SEAC decals from a Airfix kit .

The rest will be Finnish and Rumanian places ,and maybe a RAF one or two .

The Airfix Mk.I is fabric wing, so.... that does limit your options unless you want to convert to metal wing or ignore the difference.

The finns had a few fabric winged, 3 or 4,  I can dig which if you want.

the only Romanian were the 3 ex-Yugoslav planes,  thought they were Yugoslav built ones with RYAF camo.  there was a thread here on this if you want too know more.

the other fabric winged options are Belgian and one captured by the Italians.

It seems that a few later batch BoB Hurricanes were built with fabric wings as well,  so you can have one with a Spitfire Rotol prop. Again,  there were a  thread on this 

see 

also

• Like 1

Extradecal produce a sheet dedicated to very early RAF Hurricanes, which demonstrate the range of different undersides, roundels and fin markings on these aircraft.  You could have an interesting collection illustrating the development of RAF fighter colours and markings in this period.  Freightdog (IIRC) produced a cannon set to fit under the wings of one development example.

The PR one (of several) was metal winged unfortunately.  Ditto FAA Mk.Is.  For another nation, one example was sent to Poland but I suspect that was metal-winged too.  Ditto Canadian ones.

2 hours ago, mike romeo said:

I'll have the Academy IIc if you're offering. 😉

Regards

Martin

Sorry ,like Dowling in 1940 i need all the Hurricanes i can get 😉.There is a small model .trophy shop in Bridgnorth Shropshire ,he sometimes has stuff from Academy .

Next time i am in here i will have a look .

Hi ,is it hard to convert FW to metal wings ? It seems i have to put a little bit of Mr Surfacer on ,sand it smooth then do a bit of re scribing .

The FAA and the SEAC  dcals  are Mk2c ,so i can use the Revell's for them .

These are the decals i am most keen to use ,the top one is from 1940 captured in France ,no problem with that one .

The bottom one is a Mk2c ,so again no problem with that one .

It is the other two that there might be problems with ,you can see the second from the top ,the camera pod thingy i mentioned .

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The Academy Mk.IIc is not advised.  There have been worse Mk.IIc kits but arguably not recently...  Not that the Airfix is brilliant.

I disagree.  It is relatively easy to fix the fuse width.  As to the tapered nose, well, I can live with it.

Tony O'Toole has posted some cracking builds of the Academy IIc.

Regards

Martin

The top captured one was not taken in May but winter 1940: this has been discussed recently but I didn't record where, likely here or Flypast Historic.  The Sky underside, spinner and tail are very strong hints.  The desert camouflaged ones should have light blue undersides, probably Azure Blue.

The bulge under the fuselage is to accommodate the long lens body of a vertical camera or a smaller forward facing one.

Re wing.  That's rather a lot of filler.  You also have to change the position of the landing light, and also the shape of the gun loading panels.  Plus there probably is an extra access panel on the fuselage.  However some filler is needed on the standard kit behind the gun panels and at the rear wing root.

Re Academy: each to their own, but I prefer my Hurricane kits to look rather more like their subject.  I can't detail its problems now because it remains the only Hurricane kit I have got rid of almost immediately, although I can think of a few earlier generation ones that deserved no better!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Re Academy: each to their own, but I prefer my Hurricane kits to look rather more like their subject.  I can't detail its problems now because it remains the only Hurricane kit I have got rid of almost immediately, although I can think of a few earlier generation ones that deserved no better!

Thanks, Graham.  

We'll agree to disagree.

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The Airfix Mk.I is fabric wing, so.... that does limit your options unless you want to convert to metal wing or ignore the difference.

The finns had a few fabric winged, 3 or 4,  I can dig which if you want.

the only Romanian were the 3 ex-Yugoslav planes,  thought they were Yugoslav built ones with RYAF camo.  there was a thread here on this if you want too know more.

the other fabric winged options are Belgian and one captured by the Italians.

It seems that a few later batch BoB Hurricanes were built with fabric wings as well,  so you can have one with a Spitfire Rotol prop. Again,  there were a  thread on this 

see 

also

Canada also had 20 fabric-winged Hurricanes for about a year before they were shipped back to Britain when No.1 Squadron RCAF went in the spring of 1940.

Chris

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

@Graham Boak How accurate is the decal sheet in Post #7? I'm always on the look-out for odd scheme subjects

Apart from the comments above, I've no particular knowledge other than suggesting that the bottom two should be in the same colours, unless you want to play the fresh vs faded game.  I doubt whether anyone knows which colours the Germans used to overpaint the British markings other than probably not captured British paints given the contrast - don't laugh, at least one Bf109 found in a scrapyard after an advance is reported as being in Mid Stone.  Spinner colours may also be guesswork - later ones should have been Red but without at least a look at the original photos I'm not going to hazard a guess. 

3 hours ago, mike romeo said:

I disagree.  It is relatively easy to fix the fuse width.  As to the tapered nose, well, I can live with it.

FWIW,  as a hurricane buff, the 'fatal flaw' with many Hurricane kits is the fabric fuselage, get it wrong, and the effort of fixing it become a major undertaking.... 

Academy get it wrong, the fuselage stringers all run back as parallel lines to the tail, and they don't on the real thing. 

DSC_0058_renamed_21706.jpg&key=57f523a0a

A similar problem afflicts the Revell MkII kits, with weird triangular stringer pattern.

Maybe not a huge problem in 72nd if you want a simple build,  and are not looking closely, and the Academy and Revell kits are better shapewise than the Airifx Mk.II from about 10 years ago.... which is a bang in match to some drawinsg in a very respected Hurricane book with F.K. Mason's name on them, shame they are utter garbage....

For an accurate Mk.II/IV in 72nd,  the AZ kits seem best overall.    The old Heller (later SMER) IIc has a pointy nose, and the wings are too broad at the tips,  both fixable, and really well done fabric...

perhaps Arma Hobby will grace us with a new tool Mk.II at some point.   

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the advice ,I think I will ignore the wing issue and just build them  as BOB RAF Aircraft .

I can get two Finnish Mk1s ,the rest of the Mk1s as above .

Edited by cocky05d
  • Like 1