F387 Avro Lincoln B.2/B.30 What Frog would have released in about 1985 had they continued ...

Rob S

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now I might have missed it Ray, however is that white python engined Lincoln the subject of this build?? If so, I reckon your’e madder than what I first thought! (.. all in jest of course). 

Cheers.. Dave 

Ray's like that - madder than a box full of (insert local version of this saying - Frogs, Ferrets, Badgers.).  

1 minute ago, Rob S said:

Ray's like that - madder than a box full of (insert local version of this saying - Frogs, Ferrets, Badgers.).  

OMG... see it’s infectious... why does everyone (and now me) call you Ray!! It’s Rob, Rob, Rob... 

Apologies.. Dave 

If you've ever wondered why the Wyvern's Exhausts are where they are

48584904757_32985286f5_b.jpg  

wonder no longer as when you slot the Python in they line up pretty much where it would bifuricate

48584905297_5ce449d0b0_b.jpg  

What did James May say about what Nicholas Kove wanted Kids to learn from modelling?  

• Like 4

Small update as I plod along ... (actually I thought someone might comment on the above "What the poor Wyvern Pilot is sitting above the hot end of the Engine?")

And then there were two ; 

48589168822_f24feba7ca_b.jpg  

The upper one has had two rounds of fill, sand, prime, sand, etc while the lower has had only one round.  A couple more rounds should hopefully do the trick.  

And the just for fun (!) and to remind myself what has gone into each one so far I cut up bits for a third probably just for posterity but also as a reserve in case something goes wrong!  

48589028806_2fdac9ae3c_b.jpg  

Note that the smallest rod and the contour bit from 30 thou card were both times 16 of them!  

And as if to give some sort of inspiration after all that perspiration (in Winter?) I placed the Wyvern's contra props on it to see what it would look like

48589030726_7a3670f817_b.jpg  

48589032021_efeec5859c_b.jpg  

Now the next bit of News makes me wonder just how much more time I will have on this before the GB ends.  We have been given the start date of our move as the 3rd of September (much like a date to declare War on?) and we have 3 weeks to do it in which seeing as it's probably all up to me I'll be flat out through that time span which basically takes us to the end of the GB.  So highly doubtful that this one will get anywhere near done as I'm spending the next week or so with the Boy who is home on "Holiday" from his job in Europe ; 

48575337501_a68e9f7d86_b.jpg  

and has to go back before the end of the month so not much will happen over the next week.  And to make matters worse it looks like I am missing out on going to QMHE this weekend so won't be able to catch up with Graeme or Dave!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 8

52 minutes ago, Rob S said:

the Boy who is home on "Holiday" from his job in Europe

Thankfully, its looks as if the young fella's inherited Mum's looks! You both must be so proud, well done. 

No seriously, I'd best give you a 'like' for the above content, although now knowing that you won't be making it to Bris-Vegas for our big modelling event is a little on the 'sad' side. Not too worry, I'm sure you've given Graeme your 10 page wants list, so it'll feel like you're down here anyway. Nice progress on this ever eye popping conversion, good luck with the house move and catch up when we next do. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Just having to back track a little bit on the front end of the Pythons at the moment as the front face is a little bit smaller in diameter that the inner Wyvern Prop Hub.  So I made up a front face from 30 thou card and drilled the centre of it and mounted it on a jig similar to what is actually going into the centre of the Python to centre it with the rest of the front end and then I'll tack it on and use it as a guide to fill out the front to the required diameter.  I think this may have come about from the numerous rounds of filling and sanding and maybe having sanded too much to get a cleaner finish and lost some diameter.  

These things happen I suppose.  

While waiting I did a little bit to one of the centres that will actually go into it by thinning the exterior of the Jet Pipe and filling and rounding the Nozzle or whatever it's called in the centreline as well as thinning the interior of the rear of the Python body so it all looks more "Hot End' like.  

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 1:50 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Thankfully, its looks as if the young fella's inherited Mum's looks!

Aw nice!  Either that or his "Red" Eyes have magical powers and maintained his good looks 

48605318016_4bdff173dd_b.jpg  

as we did look similar when I was his age

48605318996_f6dd15de6e_b.jpg  

Whereas I've led a hard life hardened in battle

48605320761_db93df5348_b.jpg  

and then all those nights spent at the Speedway obviously took their toll

48605463032_52c726d0a4_b.jpg  

• Like 7

On 8/21/2019 at 1:50 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Not too worry, I'm sure you've given Graeme your 10 page wants list, so it'll feel like you're down here anyway.

Ha ha ha ha ha.  Maybe before I got into this it might have been a few pages but now I'm actually just thinking one of the latest Airfix Lancasters and either of the latest Revell or Airfix early Shackletons for a(nother) Lincoln conversion using "modern" toolings!  

(Demonic Laughter fades out ...)  

• Haha 2

Nice photos Rob, looks like you’ve been fond of weapons since you were a young takka! I hope your still not sleeping alongside that pistol... what does the Missus say about that nasty habit? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I hope your still not sleeping alongside that pistol... what does the Missus say about that nasty habit? 

Of course that classic line ; "Is that a Gun in your Pocket or are you just glad to see me?" ... 

• Haha 3

I might have to look a using a different filler as I'm still getting small voids or whoops in the surface and also pin holes with the Tamiya Putty after sanding no matter how carefully I apply it it seems.  It initially looks good after I sand it and even under Primer doesn't look too bad but after hitting it with Gloss White they show up like the proverbial Dogs you know whats.  Very annoying and time consuming.  Any suggestions most welcome.  

I find Milliput pretty reliable, and the more expensive fine version give a lovely smooth finish, but they all take a good while to dry. Shaping/smoothing with a wet finger before it sets can save a lot of sanding.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I find Milliput pretty reliable ...

Thanks Pete ... and would you believe I finally found the last packet I bought hidden away in a desk drawer where I would never have thought I put it!  

The other thing I just found in a Cupboard in the other Bathroom while looking for some Spray Cleaner was a can of Septone Primer Filler so might try that out on something and if it's any good use it instead of the Septone Primer Surfacer after and before sanding to see it it fills in the little blemishes.  

• Thanks 1

Well after being gutted by last night's / early morning's "Result" some more modelling may be needed to soothe the frayed edges!  

Anyway where was I?  That's right was as about as happy with this as an Umpire not giving out an obvious LBW

48623820893_b89d82ee29_b.jpg  

So without any Reviews left it was just plain hard work of sand (Wet n Dry not Yellow Sandpaper so hold those "Jokes"!), prime, gloss white, sand, recut circular guides, and more etc, etc, than the King in "The King and I" to finally get them to this stage

48624319112_2419dce8fb_b.jpg  

Well no not that stage that's the Boy arriving doing his Kevin Magnussen impression so if you've ever wondered why Haas F1 has been all over the place this Season maybe he's been moonlighting as an F1 Driver while the real KMag has been off fishing or whatever Danes like doing instead of driving fast.  

Back on track ; 

48624319712_bf6c2ed93a_b.jpg  

Ah bit better and that's where I am going to leave the front end for the minute and next concentrate on the 'Hot End".  

And just to play around making Python like Turboprop noises

48624173781_fce9022443_b.jpg  

48623823293_3d74b600c4_b.jpg  

And in the mean time of doing all that repetitive stuff a little more on the Engines and Fuselage

48624325007_3d65a1e90b_b.jpg  

Trying to fatten the Engine by adding the 10 thou Cowl as recommended by the Airfix Article and trial fitting the modified Spinners and Props while making Merlin Engine noises.  

48623827868_46fdc26a1d_b.jpg  

And finally yet another round of filling, sanding, priming, gloss whiting, and repeating multiple times to try and get the Fuselage to a stage where it can be moved on.  But as you can see more to be done before I'm at that stage although it's getting to the stage of diminishing returns and it might be better to improve it once it's together.  We'll see.  

• Like 9

Top marks there Rob, those engines and fuse parts look delightful, which is good reward for all those hours you’ve put into this project. My sons a huge F1 fan, any chance of a KMag autograph? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Rob,

In an earlier post the subject of engines on display came up so I thought you might like to see a pic I took back in 1969 or early 1970. I was in the last year of my engineering degree at uni, and we went on a trip to the Cranfield College of Aeronautics as it was then.  In those days they had a small but very interesting display of aircraft such as TSR2, Me 163, Canadair 100, and the little Boulton and Paul delta research aircraft. They also had a V2 and quite a few engines :-

engines

No idea what they are and the collection has been broken up since then, or at least the planes have gone to other museums - not sure about the engines. Old fully manual Zeiss camera was struggling with the low light levels so a bit blurry.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

I remember those from a few years ahead of you, but when I was back in 1974 they'd gone.  The Avro Canada CF-100 was the one bought by Hayden-Bailey and brought back to flying condition.  I don't recall - nor can identify now - all of the engines but I do recall a Jumo 004.  And a collection of rudders which included one off a Ju.388  (I think, rather than a 188).

• Thanks 1

Hi Graham,

Can't be sure which museum has the Cranfield TSR2 as last I heard both the ones on display have the same serial number!

Pete

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi Graham,

Can't be sure which museum has the Cranfield TSR2 as last I heard both the ones on display have the same serial number!

Pete

The Cranfield TSR 2 went to Duxford in, IIRC, the early eighties.  Although bearing the serial number XR222 allegedly the only bit from that aeroplane is the wing: the rear fuselage is said to be from XR227 but the front & centre sections are an engineering mock up.  ‘222’s rear fuselage frame carrying the fin and tailplane spigots was stood on a frame in a car park (parade ground?) at Duxford on the north side of the A505 in the mid-nineties but I’ve not seen it for a long time.  It bore the name “Cranfield” in an appropriately bloody shade of red.  What intrigues me is why anyone would go to the trouble of amputating XR227’s back end to mate to the EMU to produce a complete fuselage when the already completed fuselage of ‘222 was already available: why add the manpower and equipment costs to an already abandoned programme.  Some Misery of Disarmament Top Neddy probably got a big pay rise for that little wheeze. 🤪 🙄

• Like 3

Apologies for no update on this as I had to go away last week at short notice and also had to do some unplanned work so only back now.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some time tonight and reply to the latest batch of Posts.  

By the way the "Up" side of going away at short notice is that the move has been postponed a week but the "Down" side is I lost another week on this and also probably won't be able to do as much in this next week as I could have in the last week if you know what I mean.  

• Like 1