WK577:V Scampton, 50 years ago today.

Crikey! 50 years ago today( it was a Monday back in 1969) I was on my ATC annual camp at Scampton. For the start of the weeks activities I went flying in Chipmunk WK577/V and was first  aircraft movement of the week.

3UJPFy.jpg

Me, setting out for an early morning jaunt around the Lincolnshire countryside.  Some low level over a couple ex bomber bases ( I don't recall which) and some aeros. 
iKxDef.jpg

About 30 minutes later back on the ground.....

Note spinnerless prop.

50 years later my refurbed Airfix Chippie recently done as WK577:V

DHDlrT.jpg

470PCP.jpg

XBUuF0.jpg

The light aircraft grey is Xtracrylic  and the dayglo from the Model Alliance set of dayglo sections designed for the the Canberra. Leading edge to wings were hand painted using Xtracolor  enamel thinned and brush painted. The decals worked well but have the white background out of register so I will need to paint them out and add the separating stripe to the tailplanes somehow. All other markings from generic decals from my Modeldecal sets fast diminishing.

Good thing is WK577 is still very much active in the UK and wearing an earlier scheme.

UTQvqm.jpg

WP970 with a fellow cadet emerging after his flight. No code but an interesting unit badge by the windshield. Also spinnerless. Does anyone know the unit? Note  Glider towing hook visible at the tail.

According to my log for the week, the other Chipmunks were: WG481, WP776,WP906.
AovfQ3.jpg

Taken on another day during the week, think it was a Wednesday during our sports afternoon. Rudderless B.1 maybe XH500 or 502 with resident B.2 overhead. There were two like this possibly for spares or crash training. not sure now. Logged just over 20 Vulcans on base.  
lWFHiJ.jpg

One memorable event during that afternoon was the impromptu display by a Victor in formation with a Vulcan, The Victor gave us a nice displey but the Vulcan was thrown around very briskly and half rolls and all!  Sports activities stopped needless to say.
GpWxTY.jpg

Me by the Grand Slam and Tallboy to the right. The Lanc is R5868 now in Hendon but.......
5dZMil.jpg

........Wearing 83 Squadron codes here.
EFL7Zv.jpg

Rubbish pic but sometime during the sunny week and in the evening  me about to go off in a T.31 WT895 from Hemswell where we were billeted for the week up the road from Scampton.

There were other T.31s and T.21s Plus local aeroclub Austers G-AJAS,JRE and OCP and Beagle 206 G-ATYW and Jodel G-AWIG.

All the above monochrome pics taken on my Kodak Instamatic cartridge film  type camera and scanned from negatives in more recent weeks.

Meanwhile elsewhere in our universe a couple guys were doing there stuff on the Moon!!!

• Like 30

On 7/20/2019 at 12:09 PM, Paul J said:

50 years ago today( it was a Monday back in 1969) I was on my ATC annual camp at Scampton.

I was at Scampton on ATC camp in 1969, but according to my log book it was August for me (Surrey Wing). I managed 20 mins in WP970 (I see you have a picture). That was a brilliant week, especially watching a four Vulcan scramble from the edge of the taxiway, and also being allowed in the Blue Steel maintenance bunkers!

Lovely model there Paul, and great memories of my time in the Air Cadets. We did Faiford the following year (3 squadrons of Hercs, plus prototype Concorde), followed by Oakington (Varsitty) the year after that.

Happy days

Terry

Nice Chipmunk. Paul. I like the faded dayglo effect.

I was at the North Coates wings and wheels event yesterday. There was a Chipmunk in red/white/grey but I couldn't get close enough to see the serial number.

If you stayed in the barrack blocks by the parade square at Hemswell, they are now mostly used as antique centres. As is the old guardroom.

My Wife works in the old Station Headquarters and we live down the road in the old Officers quarters. 

Don't do a nostalgia trip to Scampton. It's mostly in a very shabby state.

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice Chipmunk. Paul. I like the faded dayglo effect.

I was at the North Coates wings and wheels event yesterday. There was a Chipmunk in red/white/grey but I couldn't get close enough to see the serial number.

If you stayed in the barrack blocks by the parade square at Hemswell, they are now mostly used as antique centres. As is the old guardroom.

My Wife works in the old Station Headquarters and we live down the road in the old Officers quarters. 

Don't do a nostalgia trip to Scampton. It's mostly in a very shabby state.

Sounds familiar. Sad to hear about Scampton No wonder HMG are selling it.

Thanks for comments and about the dayglo Xtracolor matched the MA decals reasonably well I have  a couple more to do of ones I flew in. But need to get a steady enough hand to to the gaps between the dayglo strips for the tailplanes or approach how I do the next ones in this area another way.

By the way the last pics I've seen of 577 was it wearing an overall silver dope finish with yellow T bands.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I was at Scampton on ATC camp in 1969, but according to my log book it was August for me (Surrey Wing). I managed 20 mins in WP970 (I see you have a picture). That was a brilliant week, especially watching a four Vulcan scramble from the edge of the taxiway, and also being allowed in the Blue Steel maintenance bunkers!

Lovely model there Paul, and great memories of my time in the Air Cadets. We did Faiford the following year (3 squadrons of Hercs, plus prototype Concorde), followed by Oakington (Varsitty) the year after that.

Happy days

Terry

I was with the Sussex Wing , Horsham 1015 squadron.  We also did the Blue  Steel visit and shown over ithe cockpit of a Vulcan  and I always recall the four engine starter buttons being pointed out that were jabbed in a scramble. Never got the scramble demo though.

• Like 1