'Oversized signature removed' when it wasn't oversize

I've logged in just now and discovered that my allegedly oversize signature has been removed - gone, from all my posts and the signature box in my account settings...

I don't understand why - it complied with the requirements, and always has:

Only had four lines (three text, one image)

Only had two URLs (four allowed)

Only had one image, of the correct size (400x150)

Could someone please explain why it has apparently been deleted?

(If it has anything to do with the second URL being for our guest house, that had been pre-approved by Mike...)

Edited by andyf117

Andy,

I removed it. It did not meet the requirements in regards to size:

• If you have one or more picture with no text, it/they can be a maximum of 150 pixels tall by 400 wide in total.
  • If you have text and pictures, the pictures can be 100 pixels tall, and the text must use up minimum additional space.
  • If you want multiple pictures, you'll need to stitch and shrink them down so that they fit within the 150 x 400 space mentioned above.
  • If you just have text in your signature, keep it to the height of 4 lines of ordinary unformatted forum text.
  • If you have a list, make it into a comma separated list, rather than a new line for each kit you're building.
  • Every picture in your signature slows down the loading of the page that you post in, and eats up your PhotoBucket (or wherever else) bandwidth. Keep the pics small, optimise them for quick loading (small file size), and everyone benefits.

You had a 150 pixel picture with 3 lines of text above and below.

I've had the same size/format signature for a few years, and it's even appeared in direct posts to Mike and other mods - but now suddenly it's been deemed to break the rules?

The 100-pixel 'restriction' highlighted in red above is not mentioned whatsoever in the signature settings page, only the 400x150 limit...

Link

The signature limit requirements have been there since last updated in 2012. Your signature did not suddenly break the rules.

It is clearly laid out and states the requirement, the details highlighted were copied directly from that. 

We remove oversized signatures as and when we find them.  It was oversized and did not meet the requirements that are there to prevent the annoyance of having to scroll past signatures taking up more room than the post. Therefore it was deleted.

Then I suggest the rules should appear in the place where people create their signatures, instead of somewhere where they probably aren't going to see them?

I complied with the 'Signature Restrictions' exactly as they are set out on the account settings -> signature page...

41 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Then I suggest the rules should appear in the place where people create their signatures, instead of somewhere where they probably aren't going to see them?

I complied with the 'Signature Restrictions' exactly as they are set out on the account settings -> signature page...

The account settings/signature page does not have the space available to impart what is clearly laid out in the FAQ area for signatures. It is your responsibility to read and comply with those requirements in the FAQ. They have been there since before you became a member in 2013, I would politely suggest that in those 6 years you had the time to find, see, read and adhere to them.

• Thanks 1

You might want to get rid of the animated gif: it's not against the rules but boy is it distracting and after a while, quite annoying. As the lead UX for folk like Amazon and Vodafone before I retired, we know a lot about UXD and this really detracts from reading anything on any page you post on: it's the equivalent of a strobe and after a little while two or three of them flicking on and off will give a user considerable discomfort. Mind you it's easy enough to hide your or anyones else sig but then you'll lose your links, including your lovely B&B which I have bookmarked for my future expeditions to your glorious county. I had to do this on this thread as there was just a mass of strobing seakings which became quite painful to look at.

I actually borrowed your idea for a listing of links on the "about me" page and thats very effective so maybe stick with  that and the guest house link? You'll find as Mies said " Less is more😉

BTW theres is someone out there who disagrees with everything we UXers say and she does OK., but I don't think Greg will be too keen...

https://www.lingscars.com/

Anil

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

I have to agree with you about the flashing pictures being  a bit distracting. Maybe everyone is like me and flicks away from them pretty quickly. Probably bad for epileptics too!

For those reading and wondering where the "hide signature" is, its behind this wee little "X", I find I use this a lot as I'm often interested in the post but not an epileptic seizure, or things like thinly disguised Nazi symbols and the rather sad "sexy lady" avatars which in my opinion  have no place on the 'net in 2019 but  hey they're not illegal (yet😉  And no Ed I'm not hiding your sig just using it to illustrate!!

48337395712_b3ed5f0a7c_o.jpg

2 hours ago, bhouse said:

The Ling's cars site is a design classic 🤢

Her business is apparently very successful so it's definitely the exception that process the rule with regards to good design!

Interestingly we did some research and found that the vast majority  of her sales are by telephone/email quote: The site is simply a tool to generate traffic, is woefully laid out and so distracting that its very hard to find a specific model and variant easily. Her USP is you look at the site for a good laugh and then when your eyes hurt too much you call her. The hype part is of course she's the largest individual lessor but in reality her sales are minuscule compared to the big guys or the dealer PCPs as she offers exactly the same lease products from the same vendors: This is about driving site traffic and visibility not site usability but we digress from  the topic...

Anil

• Like 2

On 20/07/2019 at 12:19, andyf117 said:

Andy ... were you warned  that your signature was to be removed?

i do hope so - common courtesy and manners, etc.

Some signatures can be irritating, as Ed Russell says. Nevertheless, aI would expect mods here to say what they were about to do.  I have to admit I can’t recall actually seeing yours!

Just thoughts,

Jonny

3 hours ago, azureglo said:

You might want to get rid of the animated gif: it's not against the rules but boy is it distracting and after a while, quite annoying. As the lead UX for folk like Amazon and Vodafone before I retired, we know a lot about UXD and this really detracts from reading anything on any page you post on: it's the equivalent of a strobe and after a little while two or three of them flicking on and off will give a user considerable discomfort. Mind you it's easy enough to hide your or anyones else sig but then you'll lose your links, including your lovely B&B which I have bookmarked for my future expeditions to your glorious county. I had to do this on this thread as there was just a mass of strobing seakings which became quite painful to look at.

I actually borrowed your idea for a listing of links on the "about me" page and thats very effective so maybe stick with  that and the guest house link? You'll find as Mies said " Less is more😉

I'm actually going to slow the picture changes down, as I agree they are currently 'strobing' a bit...

....it is an adjustable setting that at the moment is on 1.2 secs per frame - the default was a lot less!

I did previously have the individual models all in one single pic, but due to the size restriction, they were all quite small and hard to see...

....I got the idea of an animated gif from TrickyRich's signature, in the same way that you've borrowed the 'about me' page idea - which I'd also 'borrowed' from someone else! Just timed his frame rate, and it seems to change pics every two seconds, so I'll try that as soon as I get the chance to adjust it...

Thanks for bookmarking us - Mike very kindly allows me to 'advertise' here, and another member has already said they're planning on staying here fairly soon!

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Andy ... were you warned  that your signature was to be removed?

i do hope so - common courtesy and manners, etc.

Some signatures can be irritating, as Ed Russell says. Nevertheless, aI would expect mods here to say what they were about to do.  I have to admit I can’t recall actually seeing yours!

Just thoughts,

Jonny

No warnings get given - on a previous occasion when I 'broke the rules' in a post and it was deleted, when I said I'd have happily edited it had I been asked to, I was very brusquely informed by the person who removed it that mods like himself are far too busy to have time to contact people first...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I was very brusquely informed by the person who removed it that mods like himself are far too busy to have time to contact people first...

Andy - we're approaching 25,000 members and there are very few of us - roughly 1.6x10-4 per member.  We literally don't have time to debate, discuss, cajole, and keep track of whatever conversations we would need to have to get these things resolved to everyone's satisfaction.  Add in all the other back-room stuff we have to do and it's a surprise we're ever able to speak to our families.  So no.  It's common courtesy to read the rules and abide by them, knowing that if we spot something outside those rules we'll act.  In an ideal world we'd love to have the luxury of all that time to chat with members and shoot the breeze about which of their three Sale threads they'd like to keep, but we don't. :shrug:

Making a big song and dance about <gasp!> having your signature removed reduces that time too.  I know Greg wouldn't remove your signature on a whim, so it's time to get over it, draw a line under it and move on.  Also, you might want to slow down your animation more to allow people to take in your collection.  I barely get chance to register one before the next one comes up.  Try a couple of seconds gap :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Andy - we're approaching 25,000 members and there are very few of us - roughly 1.6x10-4 per member.  We literally don't have time to debate, discuss, cajole, and keep track of whatever conversations we would need to have to get these things resolved to everyone's satisfaction.  Add in all the other back-room stuff we have to do and it's a surprise we're ever able to speak to our families.  So no.  It's common courtesy to read the rules and abide by them, knowing that if we spot something outside those rules we'll act.  In an ideal world we'd love to have the luxury of all that time to chat with members and shoot the breeze about which of their three Sale threads they'd like to keep, but we don't. :shrug:

Making a big song and dance about <gasp!> having your signature removed reduces that time too.  I know Greg wouldn't remove your signature on a whim, so it's time to get over it, draw a line under it and move on.  Also, you might want to slow down your animation more to allow people to take in your collection.  I barely get chance to register one before the next one comes up.  Try a couple of seconds gap :)

And I thought you were a superhero. meh you're just an ordinary geezer like me...well less weird...actually a lot less weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, azureglo said:

And I thought you were a superhero.

I am a superhero.  My powers include sleeping, feeling bad and collecting illnesses.  I'm leaving rigor mortis 'til last though :)

• Haha 3

On 7/21/2019 at 8:03 AM, azureglo said:

For those reading and wondering where the "hide signature" is, its behind this wee little "X", I find I use this a lot  ... .

Anil

Thanks, Anil. One of the absolute best features ever designed into any forum software!!!

Andy, you definitely are a superstar superhero.

Gene K

• Like 2

On 7/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, azureglo said:

For those reading and wondering where the "hide signature" is, its behind this wee little "X", I find I use this a lot as I'm often interested in the post but not an epileptic seizure, or things like thinly disguised Nazi symbols and the rather sad "sexy lady" avatars which in my opinion  have no place on the 'net in 2019 but  hey they're not illegal (yet😉  And no Ed I'm not hiding your sig just using it to illustrate!!

Thanks for pointing the 'X' out @azureglo. Great little feature I didn't know existed. Used it a few times now.👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm leaving rigor mortis 'til last though :)

That's good news Mike, I've met a few bods in my time who didn't seem to have got their timeline sorted as well as you. ;) 

24 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Great little feature I didn't know existed.

I binned signatures years ago when my steam driven 'puter & dial up connection (remember those?) couldn't hack the extra download traffic. I've been back & tried them but there're enough that I find too obtrusive that I've opted out of signatures entirely

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of signatures, we once had to remove a picture - I think it was of a Tornado? It was over 1,000 pixels high, and you had to scroll more than a page in order to reach the bottom.  Can't remember who it was, or whether they put something back afterwards, but it did make me go :blink: when I first saw it.

• Haha 4