Harrier GR3 and AV-8C flare dispensers

Silverkite

Trying with not avail to find pictures of ALE-40 dispensers mounts, here on BM forums there are a couple of GR3 pics with them but it's unclear to me if they were was flush with the fuselage or not, on the other hand it's a desert for AV-8C ones, did they adopt GR3 solution or it was a different story?

Luigi

For the GR3, the dispensers were buried in the rear fuselage with the grills not quite flush with the fuselage surface, see here:

Stuck Jet

airspace_hangar_1_larger.jpg

The RAF's use of the ALE-40 was an urgent response to the need for chaff dispensers during the Falklands War. After the conflict ended, many GR3s - but not all in the fleet! - received an update fitting them in the bay previously used for personal baggage; which is why GR3s began to use baggage pods!  FA2 Sea Harriers also got the ALE-40s fitted in the same way.

As for the USMC AV-8A/C/S - as far as I recollect they had no internal chaff dispensers fitted.

I hope that helps

Nick

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, NG899 said:

For the GR3, the dispensers were buried in the rear fuselage with the grills not quite flush with the fuselage surface, see here:

Stuck Jet

airspace_hangar_1_larger.jpg

The RAF's use of the ALE-40 was an urgent response to the need for chaff dispensers during the Falklands War. After the conflict ended, many GR3s - but not all in the fleet! - received an update fitting them in the bay previously used for personal baggage; which is why GR3s began to use baggage pods!  FA2 Sea Harriers also got the ALE-40s fitted in the same way.

As for the USMC AV-8A/C/S - as far as I recollect they had no internal chaff dispensers fitted.

I hope that helps

Nick

As it happens Nick FRS 1 had them too and yes aircrew baggage was still stuffed up into the rear electronics bay(panel 69).There was a pulley system which was man assisted to get it up ....but if the pulley wasnt attached and you were underneath the panel undoing the camloc fasteners you got a face full of  chaff and flare  panel and baggage....ouch

You have to ask in our Airworthiness aware days was this a good idea stuffing some pilots bag up there with all that electrikary 

Edited by junglierating

I hadn't mentioned the FRS1s as there are none I'm aware of which have are likely to have digital photos of the area on the www which may help Luigi out, whereas there are a few FA2s in Museums which have them. I didn't know about the guys still using the bay for their luggage. Things don't change, it's amazing what some airlines allow on as cabin baggage these days...!

Luigi - the ALE-40 panel is an option in both the Kinetic FRS1 and FA2 kits, so have a look at one of those; the Sea Harrier and GR3 ALE-40 panels look the same externally.

Cheers

Nick

• Thanks 1