1/32 - Douglas A-26B & C Invader by HobbyBoss - released - Resin2Detail detailing sets

Homebee

I never never never ever buy a a Trumpeter/HB product until the plastic in hand has been throughly reviewed by experts.  Even then I wait one year. 

Never in in the history of modeldom have so many highly anticipated subjects have been issued by one company only to discover they completely didn't do a very good job in shape, outline and accuracy.

Someone once quipped, but it wasn’t me, but I do think it’s highly accurate, that many of the TrumpeterHB kits are tooled as if the toolmaker has never actually seen the subject, but rather someone is looking at a picture of subject X and describing it too him over the phone.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

I never never never ever buy a a Trumpeter/HB product until the plastic in hand has been throughly reviewed by experts.  Even then I wait one year. 

Never in in the history of modeldom have so many highly anticipated subjects have been issued by one company only to discover they completely didn't do a very good job in shape, outline and accuracy.

Someone once quipped, but it wasn’t me, but I do think it’s highly accurate, that many of the TrumpeterHB kits are tooled as if the toolmaker has never actually seen the subject, but rather someone is looking at a picture of subject X and describing it too him over the phone.  

You've never had the chance to build the Trumpeter 1/32 Dauntless which is quite simply a master piece of kit detail, engineering and accuracy. It is by a far their best kit to date and feedback it is their best kit ever.  

Trumpeter and Hobby Boss have what I would call an A Team, B Team and C Team.

The A Team are by far their best team and have produced some quite marvellous kits. The Dauntless mentioned above, their Me 262 series, Swordfish to name a few

The B Team are good but might get a slight issue on one or two details, The A-7E Corsair with the doggy nose but everything else on the money, the A-10 Thunderbolt

Then their is Team C who have used a 5 years old's drawing as the CAD design and create a monstrosity of a kit, Vampire springs to mind. 

They have built some stunning kits but their is some terrible ones too, it is just know which ones. 

• Like 3

But on another note that would be a stunning kits and I hope they issue the A-26K Counter Invader use in the Vietnam war.

Would be looking at approx 47cm length, 66cm Wingspan. It's a big bird but not B-24/B-17 size. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On display at the 59th All Japan Model and Hobby Show 2019.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/TrumpeterModel/posts/1347692328722690

Barely readable on the future box top behind the test model: - ref. 83213 - Douglas A-26C Invader.

Reference number 83213 is in sequence with the other HB 1/32nd aircraft kits. 

71176058-1347692168722706-43140448835988

71176058-1347692168722706-43140448835988

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/hobbyland.osaka/photos/a.1108794955873870/2512252435528108/?type=3&theater

71065893-2512252438861441-17549438191969

V.P.

The box art is reminiscent of the original Monogram kit release:

1240382_10204161050959382_36087333686180

• Haha 3

The engine cowlings look weird to me. Truncated ogive shape: the diameter seems to diminish constantly from the rear to the front. I'm not familiar with the A-26 but I think the rear half or rear 2/3rd should be more cylindrical.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:45 PM, Laurent said:

The engine cowlings look weird to me. Truncated ogive shape: the diameter seems to diminish constantly from the rear to the front. I'm not familiar with the A-26 but I think the rear half or rear 2/3rd should be more cylindrical.

I think you are correct! There's something funky going on with the cowlings. At least they will be amenable to aftermarket replacements (it's sad to have to type that).

douglas_a26_kp.jpg

I'm not sold on the shape of the upper nose transparency either. The curve down to the tip should be much more gradual.

071030-F-1234S-023.JPG

Wing cooling air intakes look wrong too. The openings on the kit are too tall.

Love%20with%20the%20Light%202.jpg

Edited by VMA131Marine

Yep, the cowlings look a bit of funny shape to me, too. And how much do I care about this...? Not one jot, to be frank!

I know this is gonna rile the beautiful rivet-counting community, but the vast majority of model-makers simply don't have the time or inclination to worry about small details like this. Life's too bloomin' short, gents!

I would much rather build a kit than spend ages fretting over the relative shape of a part. For every modeller spreading his opinion over the Tinterweb, I reckon there are several hundred modellers who just buy the kit, build it and enjoy it. The silent majority don't feel any need to express an opinion of the kit, so we don't hear from them....

If it's your thing to correct / scratch / add aftermarket to sort out an issue, then that's cool by me. If it makes you happy, then go for it. 

No-one has ever produced the "perfect" kit and I doubt they ever will. Even the most expensive kits from the biggest manufacturers have some small issues and I think that is just the way it is.  

I ain't "dissing" anyone here. Ultimately, if you don't rate a kit, you don't have to buy it...

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 11

I must admit its getting a bit boring now. Everytime a kit comes out someone says somethings wrong. Everywhere you look everything you read in either news , social media , papers etc is negativity. If you step away from picking holes in every model and just building it the hobby gets much more fun. A-26 , love it.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

If it's your thing to correct / scratch / add aftermarket to sort out an issue, then that's cool by me. If it makes you happy, then go for it. 

I'm curious, what's the problem then? And pointing out an issue with the cowlings(or other small issues like you said), does't have to mean that one doesn't rate the kit, or he won't buy it??  

Ultimately, if no one cares, if no one points out the issue, then there will be no aftermarket items to correct anything 🙄  If you guys don't care about that, fine, but there other people who care about the shape of a model and would like to discuss it. Why can't people just ignore things they don't care about, instead of calling it boring, negative or something, it's almost funny.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, delide said:

Ultimately, if no one cares, if no one points out the issue, then there will be no aftermarket items to correct anything 🙄  

Do you sincerely think that modellers cannot trust their own eyes and therefore need ’experts’ to show them the issue?

There  was a time when modellers would marvel at a new kit, buy it, go home and build it. Whatever the errors, we tried to correct them with the best of our abilities.

I’m not sure that becoming dependant on aftermarket like we do nowadays make us better modellers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, quangster said:

Do you sincerely think that modellers cannot trust their own eyes and therefore need ’experts’ to show them the issue?

There  was a time when modellers would marvel at a new kit, buy it, go home and build it. Whatever the errors, we tried to correct them with the best of our abilities.

I’m not sure that becoming dependant on aftermarket like we do nowadays make us better modellers.

Thats just what i was trying to convey , but you did it better!

4 hours ago, delide said:

I'm curious, what's the problem then? And pointing out an issue with the cowlings(or other small issues like you said), does't have to mean that one doesn't rate the kit, or he won't buy it??  

Ultimately, if no one cares, if no one points out the issue, then there will be no aftermarket items to correct anything 🙄  If you guys don't care about that, fine, but there other people who care about the shape of a model and would like to discuss it. Why can't people just ignore things they don't care about, instead of calling it boring, negative or something, it's almost funny.  

My point is that people have an alarming habit of making it seem like kit inaccuracies are almost a personal insult. I think that if these folks had a go at producing a conventional, injection-moulded kit from scratch, they might complain a lot less. The cost involved in making brand new, solid-metal moulds is massive (I'm told that a big mould can easily cost $100,000 to produce). If some manufacturers "cut some corners", then I can't blame them. 

In my (humble) opinion, rivet-counters are on a crusade to remove any aspect of fun or relaxation from our hobby. At the end of the day, we are sticking bits of plastic together and painting them. We are not curing cancer, folks...

I will continue to enjoy the hobby at my own level - and ignore the ego-based complaints of the so-called "purists".

Chris. 

• Like 6

I agree. Let's Have a honeymoon period with a new kit and enjoy a walk in the open air before the chainsaw brigade move in to demolish the product.

There should be skull & crossbones poison warning with all such entries before plastic has been released.

Tony 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quangster said:

Who said anything about experts? You know, no one can see it all, know it all, so we'd like discuss and exchange what we see.

GWH for example revised their molds for their F-15, MiG-29 kits, so in the end those kits are all updated and much improved, you sincerely think they'd revised it if everyone was happy?  If you don't care about the improvement they made, and think GWH wasted their money, it's fine. But consider that for some of us, it is not always about becoming better modellers? And there is no shame about being dependent on aftermarket items, I've heard that there was a time when models kits are just boxes of wood chunks, that must be the best time for the greatest modellers then.

Edited by delide
  • Like 1