TSR2 WIF Completed 29/04/20

On 8/21/2019 at 8:45 PM, neil5208 said:

Stuck the bomb bay doors on today, not a good fit. Looks like this will be another filler session with alot of sanding to look forward to.

115531d0-2b48-4faa-8730-e5b3820bd04b.JPG

You will find that the nose wheel bay doors have a simmilar problem.

On the only completed TSR2 that I have built so far used under wing pylons from an Airfix Jaguar as I wanted to use to bomb beams.

Gondor

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report really, been to Germany to see the wife's family, new kitchen fitted and almost lost one of our dogs but the grumpy old sod is still here thankfully so modelling has been on hold and I have to go back to work on Monday to boot. Mocked up the Vigilante's pylons on the TSR2 today, their on backwards and upside down but they look better this way. I may have to move them outwards slightly once I get hold off the MER's and Mk82's for undercarriage clearance. Still have more sanding to do on the belly as well.

2dd88c30-34bf-4c02-8c64-6bf353a28b8f.JPG

8796c134-6133-40a2-9dad-b841c5e1ff06.JPG

Edited by neil5208
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm trying to get all my on going long term kits finished so I can concentrate on the B58 so a bit more work on the TSR2, Some more fitting of the wings has got the rear wing to fuselage join pretty good but the  front is still off by 1/2mm

584fa350-bc58-43bf-99e0-f0ca34aeb11d.JPG

0c759652-ea38-4555-952c-6232253a8ba1.JPG

• Like 3

On 01/08/2019 at 15:08, mdauben said:

I was just watching a documentary about the TSR2 the other day.  Fascinating aircraft, and the behind the scenes shenanigans regarding the development program were just as interesting!

Read a few good books about the whole debacle, i have a keen interest in this aircraft; only one ever flew and it was destroyed on the weapons ranges at Shoeburyness before being finally scrapped there. The next two aircraft were XR220 which was close to flying its maiden flight when it was all cancelled, and XR221. Unsure if any others exist other than at Cosford and Duxford but i doubt it because they were all pulled off the assembly line and set on fire. TSR2 was about 10 years ahead of its time technologically but was heavily over-budget however the cost of keeping it going would have been less. It goes into the £ billions. They wanted to keep two operational to do testing for Concorde but the new government said no, and wanted EVERYTHING destroyed so that nobody could ever restart producing them. Great shame.

• Like 2

On 11/09/2019 at 19:33, neil5208 said:

Not much to report really, been to Germany to see the wife's family, new kitchen fitted and almost lost one of our dogs but the grumpy old sod is still here thankfully so modelling has been on hold and I have to go back to work on Monday to boot. Mocked up the Vigilante's pylons on the TSR2 today, their on backwards and upside down but they look better this way. I may have to move them outwards slightly once I get hold off the MER's and Mk82's for undercarriage clearance. Still have more sanding to do on the belly as well.

I always check the fitting of doors and if necessary i will shave them down a little where they are ill fitting,  then i dont use so much filler!

On 11/09/2019 at 19:33, neil5208 said:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wings vertical tail are on! and I found the kit seats that I thought I lost so I don't have to dremal out half the cockpit floor to fit the resin ones I bought.

3efa48ff-3f4b-4c7b-816b-9e7e510f4654.JPG

I realised that the paint scheme I'll be going for is similar to the B58 less the underside colour, white on this one opposed to black on the Hustler so I can paint the SEA camo together.

• Like 3

Is this the Contrail Vac-form kit? I did one years ago, had it looking excellent and then the lacquer i used over the decals spoiled it by turning yellow. Shame because i'd put weeks and weeks into that! Nothing went straightforward, it answered me back at every part of the build. Maybe one day i'll get the Corgi Die-cast of it because its one of my most favourite jets.

My Contrail 1/48 with an FB-111 in SEA Camo - yes, it should be an F-111F so the wings are too long, but gives you a good idea of a similar sized jet in your target camo, even if the underside is black

tafoDaQ.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Only thing missing there to complete the trilogy is the Blackburn Buccaneer! The TSR 2 brings back memories! Excellent work on both. Thanks.

1/48 Buccaneer is a pricey & rare thing.  Been after one for a long while.  Working on an even bigger beast now - 1/48 Herc!

• Like 1

Do you have a hangar to keep them in? lol I model in 1:72 as its a scale i can build many in and keep them in a cabinet, i always made my kits in gentlemanly 1:72 as a boy and later in life, i build in that scale still. The Herc sounds great!😀😎

2 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Do you have a hangar to keep them in? lol I model in 1:72 as its a scale i can build many in and keep them in a cabinet, i always made my kits in gentlemanly 1:72 as a boy and later in life, i build in that scale still. The Herc sounds great!😀😎

Funny you should say that....

RE9FIbl.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, neil5208 said:

I found the kit seats that I thought I lost so I don't have to dremal out half the cockpit floor to fit the resin ones I bought.

Those resin seats do look good, though. Who made them?

18 hours ago, neil5208 said:

... the paint scheme I'll be going for is similar to the B58 less the underside colour, white on this one opposed to black on the Hustler so I can paint the SEA camo together.

Shouldn’t that be light gray (FS36622), not white?

20 hours ago, bar side said:
20 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

1/48 Buccaneer is a pricey & rare thing.  Been after one for a long while.

I see there is an Airfix one on eBay at the moment.

Airfix 1/48 H.S. Buccaneer Model Kit #09180 New Boxed Kit

Can’t  paste the link but if you search the above you should find it. It’s at 10.50 gbp so far.

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I see there is an Airfix one on eBay at the moment.

Airfix 1/48 H.S. Buccaneer Model Kit #09180 New Boxed Kit

Can’t  paste the link but if you search the above you should find it. It’s at 10.50 gbp so far.

I’ll put that one on watch - cheers!  They do come up but often go north of £60