Rotol Spitfire props - need help

Tony Whittingham

Hello All,

I’m looking for dimensions for the rotol prop blades used in the 3 blade installation on Spitfire 5b / Seafire 1b aircraft, like the one on EP688 WR-R, and JK101-Z of 43 squadron.

The blades have a very wide chord, and a bayonet shape. They look very much like the ones on a Spitfire 14/18, but of course left hand rotation when viewed from the front.

Does anyone have any drawings they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

TW

9 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Hello All,

I’m looking for dimensions for the rotol prop blades used in the 3 blade installation on Spitfire 5b / Seafire 1b aircraft, like the one on EP688 WR-R, and JK101-Z of 43 squadron.

The blades have a very wide chord, and a bayonet shape. They look very much like the ones on a Spitfire 14/18, but of course left hand rotation when viewed from the front.

Does anyone have any drawings they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

TW

This type?  Note the red disc, which indicates what the blade is made of.

2527522690_8dd6b585b4_b.jpgSeafire by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

The blade seems to be well represented in quite a few kits BTW. I know the above deos not have dimensions, but it's decent clear colour period photo which might help?

for comparison,  noite also how the paint has chipped off the brass sheathing on the blade leading edge

3690539310_9442b4a3b7_b.jpgSpitfire XIVE by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Note, until 1947 with a switch from Roman to Arabic numerals, its Vb, not 5b, I know, I need to get out more!

• Like 1

Hello Troy,

yes, that’s exactly the type of prop I’m interested in modelling. I’m trying to duplicate this in 1/24 scale. Perhaps if I use a Matchbox/ Revell Spitfire 22 blade as a pattern and reverse the pitch. Are there any 1/48 kits with this type of prop that I can use by doubling the dimensions. I don’t remember seeing one, but then I build 1/32 and bigger.

TW

51 minutes ago, Tony Whittingham said:

trying to duplicate this in 1/24 scale.

Briefly, as as a tiny tablet, AFAIK, the version of the 1/24 Airfix Spitfire retooled as a Vb has these blades, a search should show this...https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Supermarine-Spitfire-Mk-Vb.html

1325_1_afx12005_3.jpg

Has sprue shots, note on the extra mk.v bits, it has these blades on lower left.

They may need a little reshaping,  but as these are duplicate parts (added to the Mk.I kit)  they will be out there is spares land

HTH

• Like 1

Hi Troy,

I do have the Mk. V sprue, which was added to the Airfix Mk. 1 kit, but those blades are more akin to Mk. IX blades than the ones I need. I’ll use the Seafire photo as a template to make the wide chord blades.

My thanks to you and Justin @Bedders for the help.

TW

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, Tony Whittingham said:

Hello Troy,

yes, that’s exactly the type of prop I’m interested in modelling. I’m trying to duplicate this in 1/24 scale. Perhaps if I use a Matchbox/ Revell Spitfire 22 blade as a pattern and reverse the pitch. Are there any 1/48 kits with this type of prop that I can use by doubling the dimensions. I don’t remember seeing one, but then I build 1/32 and bigger.

TW

If you can find the PSL book on building the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire there are plans in there as one of the conversions was to a Seafire

Hallo!

For what it is worth.

RAF 6 and Clark Y were very typical propeller airfoils. Basically flat underside (backside on propellers). Some thicker NACA for the tip areas. Root areas differ and end up as circular at the blade root.

See for example this NACA report:

http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/1939/naca-report-650.pdf

I would suggest 0,1 mm trailing edge thickness for the propeller 3D printing whatever the airfoil is. And for the tip area thin ellipse works fine. Been there, done that.

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:36 PM, Kari Lumppio said:

Hallo!

For what it is worth.

RAF 6 and Clark Y were very typical propeller airfoils. Basically flat underside (backside on propellers). Some thicker NACA for the tip areas. Root areas differ and end up as circular at the blade root.

See for example this NACA report:

http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/1939/naca-report-650.pdf

I would suggest 0,1 mm trailing edge thickness for the propeller 3D printing whatever the airfoil is. And for the tip area thin ellipse works fine. Been there, done that.

Cheers,

Kari

Thank you very much, that's some reading, but actually quite interesting!

Appreciate you input and time

Kind regards

Anthony