Export Lightning F.53 underwing pylons pictures needed!

cema_ga

Hi comrades!

I'm on preparation to build the RSAF EE Lightning F.53 from Airfix F.6 boxing.

The most exciting option (IMHO) is to build this pure interceptor with underwing bombs or rocket pods.

So far I can't find any good enough info to scratch build those pylons. I search mostly for good close-up photos of the pylon. If we will find good info - it's possibility to one of good aftermarket companies to produce those pylons in resin.

good-1.jpg

So, if anybody interested in such an option to build ground attack version of Lightning - we need just good photos of the pylons - to (may be) get them available in resin...

Edited by cema_ga
  • Like 1

Ian Allan's Modern Combat Aircraft 5, BAC Lightning by Arthur Reed has some photos of the F. 53 with under wing pylons.

The Flight International 5 September 1968 issue featured an article on the F. 53 including a detailed cutaway drawings which may be of some help.

You can download a PDF file from Flight Global at https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1968/1968 - 1765.html

Cheers,

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 4

Thank You!

Great info, but I still need some good photos...I will build the 1/48 model. General view photos gives a good idea about general appearance, but only close-up photos shows the necessary details for 48th scale (IMHO). 

The underwings pylons absent even in great Daco publications book 😢

12 hours ago, cema_ga said:

Hi comrades!

I'm on preparation to build the RSAF EE Lightning F.53 from Airfix F.6 boxing.

The most exciting option (IMHO) is to build this pure interceptor with underwing bombs or rocket pods.

So far I can't find any good enough info to scratch build those pylons. I search mostly for good close-up photos of the pylon. If we will find good info - it's possibility to one of good aftermarket companies to produce those pylons in resin.

good-1.jpg

So, if anybody interested in such an option to build ground attack version of Lightning - we need just good photos of the pylons - to (may be) get them available in resin...

I've found some photos and a sketch I did at Warton from an AP, I have more photos but I think these serve the purpose best?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

John 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I have more photos but I think these serve the purpose best?

Hi @canberra kid!

Your help is critical for my build! Now it looks more buildable for me! Great info! Do You have photos with rivets on upper part of the pylon (this part is cut on Your photo number 3)? Is the both sides of the pilon symmetrical? 

Thanks a lot for You huge help!

Edited by cema_ga
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fatalbert said:

supplies measurements to locate them

Wow! Great! Sounds interesting! Anyone here can share those instructions? 

Edited by cema_ga

34 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

Did the lightning ever fly with those over wing rocket/fuel pods?

To my knowledge - ground display on airshows only for marketing...

• Thanks 1

Aside from the Canberra and Jaguar, can anyone think of other aircraft that have overwing pylons?

Also, how on earth do such stores, especially bombs and fuel tanks, stay up there without toppling off!? Their weight must be considerable.

I scanned this some time back as was also keen on arming my 1/48 Saudi Lightnings with SNEB pods. Not sure it is accurate though. Placed the scale bar next to it so that can resize the image to the scale I need. 

Can't remember which magazine it came from, likely Aircraft Illustrated.

RSAF Lightning with pylons_scale

Edited by YK GOH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, YK GOH said:

I scanned this some time back as was also keen on arming my 1/48 Saudi Lightnings with SNEB pods.

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

it is a nice square side on shot

Thank You! Now I'm ready to start the scratch building immediately after finishing the Javelin! 

• Like 1