RAF TWU Hawks Target Towing

typhoon1

Hi There

Wonder if someone could please help regarding the former Hawks of the Tactical Weapons Units at RAF Brawdy and Chivenor.

I believe during the training of pilots in weapon delivery and gunnery training they carried a towed target (Sleeve ) would anyone have a picture of one.

And what configuration the Hawk would be in i.e clean or just wing pylons .

Many Thanks

Craig

• Like 1

Just checked an old mid 80s copy of Aviation News Magazine. An article about TWU Hawks describes them towing banner targets using an attachment point under rear fuselage, but unfortunately there are no photos showing it. Banners were apparently lined up on side of runway and the Hawk in question pulled it up with it on take off, then dropped it on the airfield at the end of the mission, hopefully with a few holes in it! Nothing as fancy as target winches or pods used, it would seem.

Sorry I can't help any more.

• Like 1

Timbo88 sums up exactly what I recall having both fired on the banner with 234 Sun going through TWU and been in the target towing jet. But as he say, pictures are hard to find.  There are a couple on the internet and tbh, the flag they show does not seem to have changed that much. 

• Like 1

From when I did a few weeks on Hawks at Abingdon, I recall the towing attachment as a 'box' on the rear fuselage, port side ( I think )

Edit - Memory check c/o satis 🙂 - look under the tailplane

hawk_t1a_xx335_21_of_40.jpg

Edited by JagRigger
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, feifeitim said:

Timbo88 sums up exactly what I recall having both fired on the banner with 234 Sun going through TWU and been in the target towing jet.

‘Fired on’?  ‘Sprayed randomly in the vague direction of’ if it was anything like my efforts Tim :)

• Haha 4

On 7/30/2019 at 6:30 AM, Fritag said:

‘Fired on’?  ‘Sprayed randomly in the vague direction of’ if it was anything like my efforts Tim :)

Exactly Steve! My banners were always pristine and able to be used again! Was into recycling way back then! 😂

• Haha 2