RIAT 2019 Friday to Monday (Final Update - I promise!!)

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Could it have been caused by over rotation on takeoff?????

I was on the threshold of Runway 27, and took pictures of his rotation, which seemed normal and he commenced the display as normal.

If he had over-rotated, I assume his narrator and support team would have called him over the air?

I'll keep my eye on the aviation press.

Awesome photos. I love the variation of angles you've captured and your panning is superb - I am most envious as I have to decide between motion blur and blurry aircraft or sharp photos of aircraft that look like they're hanging in the air. I really like the Citation photo, mainly as I missed it arrive. Top photos!

• Like 1

On 21/07/2019 at 21:39, GrahamS said:

Graham

Great footage. Wouldn't it be nice if the 74' also trailed smoke; maybe just the white while the reds did the red and blue.

47 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Great footage. Wouldn't it be nice if the 74' also trailed smoke; maybe just the white while the reds did the red and blue.

Just to clarify, it’s not mine!

Graham

1 hour ago, Filler said:

Awesome photos. I love the variation of angles you've captured and your panning is superb - I am most envious as I have to decide between motion blur and blurry aircraft or sharp photos of aircraft that look like they're hanging in the air. I really like the Citation photo, mainly as I missed it arrive. Top photos!

Thanks very much, Filler. I'm pleased that you liked them.  For the taxying propeller aircraft, I used shutter priority at 1/60, for the take-off shots, I used 1/250 and for the landing shots, I used 1/125. 

Wow, I struggle when I drop as low as 1/320 to still have a sharp aircraft and I also get minimal motion effect in the background. I should really practice rather than pitching up at RIAT and risking ruining all my shots or playing safe and losing impact. Do you practice or is it just natural ability?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Filler said:

Wow, I struggle when I drop as low as 1/320 to still have a sharp aircraft and I also get minimal motion effect in the background. I should really practice rather than pitching up at RIAT and risking ruining all my shots or playing safe and losing impact. Do you practice or is it just natural ability?

I would recommend going to Old Warden or Duxford (or even your local aerodrome) to practice your panning at slower shutter speeds. My technique is to spread my feet to shoulder width, hold my breath and support the camera by digging my elbows into my body and smoothly swingng from the hips. (If that makes sense and doesn't sound too weird!)

That's a lot of shots there and a brilliant set of images. I think the departures are my favourites as they convey a sense of "busy-ness" on the airfield when there are two aircraft in the same shot. The two Flankers departing is a beauty!   

37 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

That's a lot of shots there and a brilliant set of images. I think the departures are my favourites as they convey a sense of "busy-ness" on the airfield when there are two aircraft in the same shot. The two Flankers departing is a beauty!   

Thanks Latinbear. There are many more where those came from!

I enjoy departures as well, as the action is (usually) thick and fast, although I would dispute the claim that Fairford is busier than Heathrow on departures day! 

I also like to see pairs/formation take-offs, but in my opinion, they generally don't make for especially dynamic images, which is why I'm pleased you like the Flanker image because I was trying to be more creative! 

As there are so many Phantom fans on BM (I don't count myself as one!), I was expecting comments about the Turkish pair!

6 hours ago, nuuumannn said:

Great photos and excellent tips as well. Those are impressively low shutter speeds, and the results are evident, Alpha Delta 210.

Thanks very much, nuuumannn. My father was a professional photographer and he bought me a Praktica 35mm film camera when I was a boy to take to IAT at Greenham Common in the mid/late 1970s. I lost interest in aircraft and photography when I became interested in girls (!), but regained an interest in both when the image quality from digital SLR cameras improved, and they became affordable. 

I try to compose images on the camera and not use the "machine gun" technique because I don't enjoy trawling through hundreds, or even thousands of images when I get home!

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

• Like 2

Lovely shots, I was there on Saturday and I have to say it was wonderful seeing Phantoms in the static and Migs in the air, my only whinge being that the RAF Typhoon is just soooooo grey!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

Lovely shots, I was there on Saturday and I have to say it was wonderful seeing Phantoms in the static and Migs in the air, my only whinge being that the RAF Typhoon is just soooooo grey!!!

Thanks F-32, I'm pleased that you liked them. As a mate of mine would say "grey aeroplanes against a grey sky"!😉

10 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Very nice! Love the Hunter camo! 

How did you get so many shots un-infested by people? 

Hi Paul. Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the absence of people in the images, I took most of them between 18.30 and 19.30 on Saturday as most of the visitors were heading for their cars! The remainder were taken between 07.45 and 08.30 on Sunday morning when most of the visitors were hastily trying to find their spot for the day!

• Like 1

Cracking pics again, interesting to see that BUFF's 'cellulite' in such detail. Wonderful pics of the depart as well, some excellent pictures, thanks for aharing these. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Cracking pics again, interesting to see that BUFF's 'cellulite' in such detail. Wonderful pics of the depart as well, some excellent pictures, thanks for aharing these. 

Thanks Parabat. I took quite a few pictures of the BUFF, as I was intrigued by the "cellulite". 🤣 For some reason, Brize were not issuing prompt departure clearances on Monday, which meant significant delays, and some tetchy exchanges between pilots and Fairford Ground!

4 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

All the more lovely owing to the lack of people and not too many blue cones either! 

Thanks Latinbear. I used the tilting rear screen on my D750 to achieve a low angle to avoid the ropes and cones without laying on the ground!

Thanks for all the comments and "likes".

Here are a few more of the static display aircraft:

uViWPQE4_WLhvxfqmL2DgZ8FghQyqzFClY3cIC6g

7zLYm5aby7vK0-PpbGmPZwVVqzLIMIykULTApoY-

YAG1_AKT-PNGUbuNCgeAUMAPc6hAtovtsEw8d5jV

I tried unsuccessfully to clone out the Ferris Wheel...

ORiF7MrI1qMeAfhiVfZUBRdjz1hBhyKKMPD3ZBOQ

F3__6scb40hIsVTS6zXghyUnWFjylw7hnposWh6E

I was intrigued to see the Hungarian markings on the tail of the SAC C-17

fzb5fmn3BrwpVJM7lwMYuXAU0m_rR6uiG1d-Ka2Q

PM-72NKvLGr1NxY0SJblFLVq-LF1AY1m5dTIaH8Z

wzEWqsd6Go1qzS_-sYE7GKds-2c4G97n0_ics-6F

pN_ALyv2HqFmrYJSQo4EQ7Yh8P-vr0OgCIJ05U7F

rSr-HHkat-kpQjnET3MSfTY-feaR5VfZ_wWtOadq

htGrPhqRtHEt2rq-tLlQIsNmhXzwdKS761GOqSM8

m4aSnmftd6IZfNTI1w5Bd677t3W1dtx2s57gpKP1

n4j4T5Ef8n1ykAzV6IEvMd5mc21bGfi2Dig9uN_l

Wj7TAw5TIe7Vi2Prl9HAMHTDN3f8M5qKGbRU9KNo

WFSvA4SjTkgTDzi2QWkJ2FZ6A2pKHAC-o4udWXoG

Sbss_fxY8SPYvIrJQnm72rb9pRIW3Iqs__59wdCk

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Gotta love the camo on the French Puma and the markings on Pakistan's Hercules. The mug that I bought from the JG71 stand with the same markings as the Eurofighter sits on my shelf serving as a nice reminder of this year's show. 

I think that is the first time I've seen a NATO Strategic Airlift Capability C17 at a show too. 

• Like 1