RIAT 2019 Friday to Monday (Final Update - I promise!!)

A lovely selection that captures well the variety of aircraft on show. You were a brave soul sitting through Friday's washout but glad Saturday was so much nicer. it was a shame though that so many dropped out of the NATO flypast and for that half hour the weather was also horribly grey. I'm back tomorrow for departures so fingers crossed the sun will shine!

Mark

• Like 1

Yes, compared to Friday the weather on Saturday was benign. Great photos again and I particularly like the Mig 21 generally flying in the direction of the camera. 

I thought the Royal Jordanian Airforce Team flew a tight show in blustery conditions on Saturday and if you thought about the conditions and aircraft type limitations then you could appreciate what was a fine display or airmanship. 

• Like 1

Hi

I spent a very enjoyable day at Fairford today. The weather wasn't good for photography, but at least it didn't rain. The USAF Viper Demo terminated early due to a reported control malfunction. You can see the reason for the malfunction in the third image below. Fortunately, the pilot landed safely.

rsmdaXXN6XnXo91PdA-VAgbaxUUSPHYbdV6qFKyo

DUQcU3jWq9iboDEi-eaeDKVeM1nXQE50x_2htD9s

The damage to the right hand stabilator is clear.

rcnLqmCPu7ZR2RgSXuwTuo-hrZ5APISe4uhLfP6R

hS24cJHkdcCmqDK3iDRKoOj9a4zQSDWtNYpn52WN

fU2h9XYt0ieEgZ5fSaZhwIK7bUtmzmawF-ElETR5

PejDjh1788rjofySrW57zhNxYfrP70JH1e5HH-t7

LM6HQ9JFM0ia9Z2eQpVcBgy8CHB6f-01tmAcUwRX

-UNvFikFLlbuel20_Gbqy9ZifHwa3LOzGmpxjRte

Amu2MV05PIbIA52iOHAeD1fdzfz8Kv5xQ-S3XBbn

0GPYcWMmDIoiWTB90QEVAkdbc5am1yNaWt6RNOzQ

eLr_fGepFj4aq8oio_HX2jSzbVSWZi0BPRaL-McO

bqz3aukNy6li4zsMc6sut6mltjFsZCh2d_K3BDK_

laIPolonqisk3taVXoVH9BjVCWOd2PfXrnMX_YVl

WpifJ9331Ky3DbWJ3t-akj7ddbx3TJ2KIzf7MRzr

gCUBTOLprjgLBpEL5oohNsURg5WvR3Hz9pnAyK4c

HtVpFkLhbLFwiveWoTe5sM2Jfds-SGdFZ1_mJBhF

8KMxRR9LjDppCtNM7EymC-pnc6v48xJqmF-QJ4YP

sWFso4jj7EtaWGduv9w1-Qna9wBY4KyYtDeE5wNK

It is hard to believe that the Tucano retires from RAF service this year.

jh5QUg0Xi26s9mMa4dVm3LkqXB9DVBZDaxyW379C

NX05bohfJzW_Z6icRz7J6SPjpxT51suUIuVVTYG_

D1_8m0dFuPbfiXqITsBUDoJuZAwi_UA5LKckALSS

Not quite the "BOAC" 747 and the Reds; or the Reds and the Patrouille de France!

CbYa3EEfr4nSL-NJc5b8rWuxRwcGtHj1Q8ZZhuK-

JXztCBdph-f1QzSs3QP7jSxAWrzUjitaDmEwMoUx

ClIuHQ6mL6JlLuMkxuklN14l6R21km7DJVbu5Qkp

SLOqOhx9erNXsp6N9TcsrNC03QKnd6GGCcS-ecq7

uj9bDLhoyKYEor6I5JIVvYLYKM2_1rgf1b8LCdXs

fhuLbfYIeVDqa1XNC67DHd7aJTY0IuLuEVQQveko

4XdOE-RjE6De5qgvUBMSAGxH5-fo5J1W8lUw2vqe

y8MM-MbiZo1v-x6HIi_hyw5khIOLU0nXdr7s8SA6

A2BUyROkLs898Wj1ROipKsP4U9o3vihUl7U8_aAv

ir3-ldPlX80hHsC8wJV6DJNUgCbMN9pNiKAbtcQi

ogiTVUrYTf0nBqichq8If7rLRpTmVvjZaAZMROtc

e6i1lLHYYEiUJ75VtQzwA1hMLCczMvAzjZCqY7Yh

mkAPSX9bVm58rtrvpi2FoMJuaEM4MR6M3IiAAcs1

Harrier 01-914

wD_aK0kPPFo90w3iwAC-anVZAlopXwd8VukI7TrL

Harrier 01-925

ii0UVKOPprUwPECy5Lnwjn0sIf85pbM7R2cryPjN

Thanks for looking.

I'm back tomorrow for departures!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, canberraman said:

A lovely selection that captures well the variety of aircraft on show. You were a brave soul sitting through Friday's washout but glad Saturday was so much nicer. it was a shame though that so many dropped out of the NATO flypast and for that half hour the weather was also horribly grey. I'm back tomorrow for departures so fingers crossed the sun will shine!

Mark

Hi Mark. Thanks for the kind words. Brave, or optimistic, I'm not sure which!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

48 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Yes, compared to Friday the weather on Saturday was benign. Great photos again and I particularly like the Mig 21 generally flying in the direction of the camera. 

I thought the Royal Jordanian Airforce Team flew a tight show in blustery conditions on Saturday and if you thought about the conditions and aircraft type limitations then you could appreciate what was a fine display or airmanship. 

Thanks, John. I'm pleased that you liked the pictures. I agree that the Royal Jordanian Falcons are fine airmen, but they have a lot to compete against at RIAT, as well as a 10,000 feet crowd line! I understand from a friend that their display at Old Warden was excellent, and that perhaps they are more suited to smaller venues? That said, they have become a RIAT institution!

• Like 1

What a great set of pics again, lovely to see all of these. Some of the taxying pics let the viewer feel they were almost there, thanks for taking the time to post and share your experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parabat said:

What a great set of pics again, lovely to see all of these. Some of the taxying pics let the viewer feel they were almost there, thanks for taking the time to post and share your experience. 

Thanks Parabat, I'm pleased that you enjoyed them. I'm back at Fairford today  for departures, and am most looking forward to seeing the B-52 at 14.00. It will probably be the only type that won't need the reach of the 80-400mm!

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

Would like to see some of the static line up. That dazzle scheme Hunter for example and others.

Hi Paul. I took pictures of all the aircraft in the static display. I get home tonight, and am then away on a work trip until Friday, so I'll probably post them next weekend.

• Like 2

Just gone back to view these and I have to say, I like the pic of the MIG with the brake chute just about to pop open! Nice Catch.

• Like 1

Some cracking images mate, thanks for posting!

I was there on Saturday and as good as the trusty new iPhone is, my pictures are nothing on yours :lol:

I agree with you on the Mig-21 and Su-27; I also liked the Finnish F/A-18. The Turkish F-4s and the JG71 Eurofighter were probably the highlights of the static for me! Was good to see the B-52 again and the Flanker looked immaculate!

Dave

7 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Some cracking images mate, thanks for posting!

I was there on Saturday and as good as the trusty new iPhone is, my pictures are nothing on yours :lol:

I agree with you on the Mig-21 and Su-27; I also liked the Finnish F/A-18. The Turkish F-4s and the JG71 Eurofighter were probably the highlights of the static for me! Was good to see the B-52 again and the Flanker looked immaculate!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm pleased you liked them.

I really wanted to stay longer to see the B-52 depart, but with a 3.5 hour drive and work today, I left after the Turkish aircraft departed. 

For some reason, Brize were not issuing IFR clearances quickly enough, and Fairford controllers were offering VFR where appropriate for a quicker departure. The Phantoms were delayed by more than one hour and taxied to the north side to shut down and refuel!

Superb departure shots! Content of types and nationalities looked really good.  What was that type with US civvy reg towed by the tug>  Surprise item in those pics is the Beech (Super?/) 18

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Superb departure shots! Content of types and nationalities looked really good.  What was that type with US civvy reg towed by the tug>  Surprise itemin thos pics is the Beech (super?/) !8

Hi Paul. Thanks very much for the kind words. I think that I enjoy departures day more than the show days. There are not many flamboyant departures these days, as I understand that the pilots are instructed to make "standard" departures. The RNLAF Chinook, being the exception to the rule!

N326JG is a Northrop Grumman Firebird which is a manned, autonomous or optionally piloted intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance platform.

• Like 1

Just making a return visit to see these pic... love the German Typhoon special.. If this ever comes out in decal form or within a kit its a must for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

Just making a return visit to see these pic... love the German Typhoon special.. If this ever comes out in decal form or within a kit its a must for me.

I agree, the tail marking is superb. I will try to post some shots from the static display when I return home next weekend.

An excellent photo coverage of  RIAT 2019 thanks for posting. The German Typhoon and Flankers are my favourite.

Robert

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Robert said:

An excellent photo coverage of  RIAT 2019 thanks for posting. The German Typhoon and Flankers are my favourite.

Robert

Thanks very much Robert.

Next year, I hope to be able to stay longer. I missed the C-17s, USAF KC-135 and the B-52. I'm pleased that I caught the Harriers, MiGs and Flankers, though!

As previously posted, these are an excellent set of photos. 

Looking at the F-16 which had to land early, what could have caused parts of the horizontal stabiliser to fall off? That seems a very weird fault to develope. Was it a result of the severity of the display? I'd be very interested to hear (maybe someone posted about it on airshow review uk?). 

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Looking at the F-16 which had to land early, what could have caused parts of the horizontal stabiliser to fall off? That seems a very weird fault to develope. Was it a result of the severity of the display? I'd be very interested to hear (maybe someone posted about it on airshow review uk?). 

Chris.  

I would say something has hit that

10 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Chris.  

Hi Chris. Thanks very much. I'm pleased you enjoyed them.

Spectators at the show were speculating about what caused the damage to the Viper, including the arrester hook coming loose. All I know is that it can't have been a bird strike! The pilot executed a faultless landing after declining the offer from the tower of a diversion.

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Hi Chris. Thanks very much. I'm pleased you enjoyed them.

Spectators at the show were speculating about what caused the damage to the Viper, including the arrester hook coming loose. All I know is that it can't have been a bird strike! The pilot executed a faultless landing after declining the offer from the tower of a diversion.

Could it have been caused by over rotation on takeoff?????