RIAT 2019 Friday to Monday (Final Update - I promise!!)

Hello

I spent a very wet day at Fairford today, with only three of the scheduled aircraft able to display due to the low cloud base. I can't tell you how frustrating it was to hear the MiG-21 being told by the tower to return to his parking spot because the cloud base was below 1000ft! That was pretty much the story for the rest of the day. The only full displays were by the Spanish Harrier (thankfully), the Chinook (always impressive) and the A400M (always entertaining.)

Here is my record of the day, with the E-3A being the sole aircraft in the NATO flypast!

Hopefully, the weather will be better tomorrow!

-kHdBOCuFh8frCUW_Bmtc_s9OsJDvxA5RWNCRYFA

vABL9mcGFXxCTJ4D8qHK2KS7DFdd63ixb-6p_kmz

hBTKvNCSosSDO78sE6id0Uf2IDpjWFMhuPUAgCO3

OqPE47c0a3pkWgUD50mLLin9MngsOKRmKfr42dK4

UZaaHFT2fn65Aw4L5g9RMe2ZGBha5CoefChon5cZ

U5s6EBqEXuC93JDrj1a7Wv-8W6NfQk2Gt5f9fbos

rRURcqs7VByloT77SPVYc2-TbvgvrxbSYcT8kDTf

6undRE_zGpSiyEuRwgIAaYxaokwfE2o4InTNK1hi

z4bXDcqY0tG5nkIF9vn_fCD4mRViULMZWNPWBGWL

zsSFdDHhWAdFsqOL5YqFyjLd5uN2cXDGYxaA_lc0

UayCLb6uUDjQpGuqycxnkG_W8vin1K4wttUEvDhc

evOiAjfeboa3sKFWoCw72D0-bI3gHjAvrqFlVcSW

pZuRnso4zN7haBLOmhHLIF_RDlorvPOXRfOfqitP

Agy268QfTX1cz4nrolMu_8xCMSfyjkqMrfuoJonT

wL8VPpMKoYkkAJWkWtIxufoWwZYIvHJMcnzP7OsG

jEHRxuCsQnpP95bEUyzMqm3sq9CrHvIUuLJpRVm2

v280xcfgdnangYZ4xenvG0foisjkSgstdhxy7VOS

kmhonRaU1SJmHtAVcXcEaphRRgbvHNzSRl9fp8u1

2Ta3oEa12jmfCUE2JSu0fWAXFWAiVia_aHEdkhK5

LSopxd-DGkvdlc3twkK-0vuEqeEdpkinDi-8hbyD

KhR219z8Cq628CMuKggyvAV2CVjsph67M_3l16lZ

Thanks for looking.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Nice photos anyhow: did you get any of the LanceR?

Thanks Sabrejet. The MiG held out of sight on the taxiway short of the runway. The only pictures I got of the two MiGs and the two Harriers were on my phone when I arrived in the rain, because I didn't want to get my camera out!

I'm back on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, so hope to get some decent pictures!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Considering it was a washout you've got some great shots there. At least the weather is forecast to improve for the rest of the weekend. 

Thanks Latinbear. I'm torn between the Harrier landing shots and the A400M with the vortices off the propellers on take off.

Love the AV-8B pics...the landing was a highlight, all that spray and steam! Left as the A-400 was taking off as it was obvious it was write-off for the day

• Like 1

Super photos. Thanks for showing

Having just driven 350 miles plus south I am hoping for better weather Saturday as only have the one day here before I need to turn the car round. Forecast not looking great though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndyC said:

Love the AV-8B pics...the landing was a highlight, all that spray and steam! Left as the A-400 was taking off as it was obvious it was write-off for the day

Thanks Andy. I was quite pleased with the Harrier pics which were heavily cropped as I was near the tower. I left when Ben Dunnell announced that there would be no more flying for at least 30 minutes, and a thunderstorm was reported to be heading towards Fairford from Bristol. 

7 hours ago, JohnT said:

Super photos. Thanks for showing

Having just driven 350 miles plus south I am hoping for better weather Saturday as only have the one day here before I need to turn the car round. Forecast not looking great though. 

Thanks John. Fingers are most definitely crossed for a better day today!

Great pictures, love the Harrier in the rain.  Hope the weather is better today and everyone gets to see the full display..

I have a picture, very similiar to yours of the Harrier, it's of Michael Schumacher in his Benetton in the rain at Silverstone lots of rain & spray, huge rooster tail...

GB Junior flew over last night and is going today.  I need to send him my shopping list of photos later...

• Like 1

Nice mate. You did well considering the weather. I've spent the say following movements on ADSB, which was interesting. Fingers crossed it'll get better.

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. On reflection, I cropped the Harrier images a bit too tight. I might revisit them at some point.

I agree with Head in the Clouds that the A400M presents some great photo opportunities!

There have been a couple of light showers this morning, but there is now broken cloud. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

There have been a couple of light showers this morning, but there is now broken cloud. 

Sounds like you are crossing your fingers like us for good weather, we are off to the Battle Prom at Stamford with Spitfire display to music ......weather permitting!

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the comments and "likes".

Today was a much better day, weather-wise. The Chinook went "tech"; the NATO E-3A didn't participate in the NATO flypast and PdF #8 developed a problem in flight, which meant the display was curtailed.

I really enjoyed the special fly pasts,  the Finnish Hornet, the MiG-21, the Su-27 and the Harrier pair.

sn4ilnUYFXb6ioR5Bk9d4E-TFNOOrvAGQg8_Eawg

Mz2tc_Zs8v-BNu1qPe1OHGm0IqnH5CWwlIkg3fEW

fQ-vsci0yMqiThk-W0E3Us5HUGYA_HCZGfE1vIoA

e_iXzVjWWXzc7jnGUTk2wOG87b9BTHq4N32iyodT

TNy_GNHqtvgbi8SefmZ2_sWVkTvJ9R2L5uTmFfKr

Pcoabz5wEA0gpqwuRhon4iiYAbtAOJcA0wzw4n1-

FKSN0sujII-aMbKo6kMe4SWFnpraIfeICzbggLCB

u6kzI9AO_c-tcMmkDBiurhgGU-ss0rHrnU0OA8tu

zRdlLx48j6cVuc1TJDA35NGuWTXAsCXe9WNnN2aq

7kdxdk1ua0E58ZyYqxYQUb_kJDW40ld03VOQhSWJ

e7i4l_FWvtX06oyhMKFt4-EZR93w-70xfBVqvEMo

DnFub9Cwe4pVLyTs1WCyg1FBOjh1zn5tqpmRcvbN

C10sNe86P3jW7YVntqDg20VpAJ8ixZRPF9mfHRRX

no6XVlbVtBsDutPR_SRTMXPCfulkjH5uuy2GtTU8

iS5ypHfoQd3ssTMBWvj321C46SEdaaV73T0dq2wU

FqoJPe-vE7PXLLicS0JZsm9qLMo3Z3ozMhc4nJAd

8VjktHVRtRfKr0UGVXZKxDBXZO4HAJvOOlTb16J6

rPmFjmbOunDBne12RGq7qo-7Gq0GX81pndz6ln03

DvayWr84B3wHpZJ1jAhn9XBjJz1nRWKItVa3lvvM

ULxd9gw5SR2u0zO-4SPIM8hm9Y-EDVez35i00RJH

ueXUs4Y-QR5hYWaEp4CIoCISMMAKVJTDasH5MJrg

AsfMCuunZt9xQbgL82DhRACysxtSyRD0MlkZm7E6

Mw25SBvh_zZXQmhwAhIrGWPGhsnUm11zIDwkzyPm

QIU1Gjy3MO3GB6ZYylDQrG1mARr2srA0xHm3Lrtv

BA11IU_K9DHuHncXDkS3j0ccXnJwYZePcc0i5t1t

hpAJhbsallkSu0CdqXFDAV0YwJ0mUGQjtumJkh6n

sQry9aEjLWXoM9_ByorM9VHakhrThpN1DynJPklJ

In5diieKT7zYN28-UKRWsarQLBEADrI7ysNXgzgP

Y2MCNf2XNCinmorpwDMChgZb9_Lli67arynVo-6S

Thanks for looking.

More to come from Sunday and Monday!

• Like 18

Brilliant work...enjoyed today...highlights were the Finnish F-18, the Romanian MiG-21 and the AV-8B+'s again. How noisy is that F-35???????

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Paul J said:

Lovely pics! Good to see a proper Harrier over here again. And in typical UK air show weather!

Thanks Paul. There were a couple of really light showers, but on the whole the weather wasn't too bad. The Harrier pair hovered for longer than I remembered.

6 hours ago, AndyC said:

Brilliant work...enjoyed today...highlights were the Finnish F-18, the Romanian MiG-21 and the AV-8B+'s again. How noisy is that F-35???????

Thanks Andy. It was a good day, wasn't it? I think the Finnish F-18 was one of the best fast jet displays that I have seen in a long time.

• Like 1

Second your opinion on the Finnish Hornet, an excellent demonstration of the aircraft's abilities. Also felt every gut-wrenching, eye-popping turn of the Typhoon show, it barely left the airfield boundary.

Highlight for me was the Su-27, the effortless energy and acceleration of that beast has to be seen to be believed.

Great photos once again, thanks for the reminder of a good day!

Alan

• Like 2

Wonderful photos, thanks. :) That one with the Red Arrows & the Patrouille de France teams together is something else though, never thought to see that. 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Second your opinion on the Finnish Hornet, an excellent demonstration of the aircraft's abilities. Also felt every gut-wrenching, eye-popping turn of the Typhoon show, it barely left the airfield boundary.

Highlight for me was the Su-27, the effortless energy and acceleration of that beast has to be seen to be believed.

Great photos once again, thanks for the reminder of a good day!

Alan

Thanks Alan. I'm pleased they served as a good reminder! I wonder how the Royal Jordanian Falcons and The Blades feel when they see the crowd line empty for comfort breaks?

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Wonderful photos, thanks. :) That one with the Red Arrows & the Patrouille de France teams together is something else though, never thought to see that. 

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Both Teams were in their "Concorde" formation to mark the 50th anniversary of the first flight of Concorde.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nobody has mentioned Turkish F-4s. Did they not come?

Hi Martin. Yes, there are two on static display. I can post some pictures this evening if you're interested?

The US AIr Force Viper demo was terminated early today after the pilot declared a control malfunction. He did a 500ft slow pass and then landed safely. He was given the option to divert. The fire and rescue vehicles were on standby with their lights flashing.