1/72 Revell MDD F-4E Kurnass

VG 33

Hello

It's really a long time I haven't entered in a group build here.

This time I have chosen an early F-4E in Israeli Defense Force in 1973.

To build this aircraft I have selected in my stash the Revell F-4F which has nearly everything to make a Kurnass (Sledgehammer).

Actually, I had to take from a Fujimi kit the sloted stabilators as the F-4F did not have those.

Here is the box art and first pictures of the build will follow soon.

Cheers.

Patrick

spacer.png

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 5

Here is where I am now with some work around the cockpit :

spacer.png

spacer.png

I added some strips on the ejection seats :

spacer.png

In the kit there are the first stage of the compressor :

spacer.png

To be followed...

Patrick

• Like 9

Hello

No more pictures today but a question.

I am planning to hang under the centerline of my Kurnass a MER with 5 M-117 bombs. I have the MER from the Hasegawa generic box 72-1 but I wonder how is it hung. Inside much of the Phantom kits there is only a big fuel tank with its dedicated pylon.

Or is it directly attached under the aircraft belly?

Cheers.

Patrick

The MER would definitely be hung off a pylon.  However what I do not know is if the center pylon differed if it was carrying a drop or weapons.  I would think in most cases the pylon would be the same...but I have heard of certain aircraft having to change pylons pending load out.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

The MER would definitely be hung off a pylon.  However what I do not know is if the center pylon differed if it was carrying a drop or weapons.  I would think in most cases the pylon would be the same...but I have heard of certain aircraft having to change pylons pending load out.  

I asked and got an answer here :

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235058466-f-4e-phantom-centerline-pylon/

And the pylon is called Centerline MER adaptor, so dedicated.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello

It is now time to speak about the aircraft I have chosen to build.

I have selected Kurnass N°618 of "The One" squadron at the beginning of the Yom Kippur War.

This one was shot down above Syria by anti-aircraft artillery when operating a bombing run.

Both pilot and backseater ejected safely but were taken POW.

For the decals I ordered Isra decal sheet IAF-98.

For the armament I have chosen a heavy bomber load with 10 or 11 M-117 slick bombs. I know some Kurnass had AIM-7 and/or AIM-9 for self-defense, I have to get more information about their position. I will add an AN/ALQ-87 ECM pod as well in the port front Sparrow position.

To be continued...

Patrick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hello

It is now time to speak about the aircraft I have chosen to build.

I have selected Kurnass N°618 of "The One" squadron at the beginning of the Yom Kippur War.

This one was shot down above Syria by anti-aircraft artillery when operating a bombing run.

Both pilot and backseater ejected safely but were taken POW.

For the decals I ordered Isra decal sheet IAF-98.

For the armament I have chosen a heavy bomber load with 10 or 11 M-117 slick bombs. I know some Kurnass had AIM-7 and/or AIM-9 for self-defense, I have to get more information about their position. I will add an AN/ALQ-87 ECM pod as well in the port front Sparrow position.

To be continued...

Patrick

Judging by the lack of openings for the invoard slat actuators I'm 99% sure you're already aware of this, but since I didn't see it specifically mentioned I felt obliged to note that the subject you've chosen to model is a "hard wing" (i.e. unslatted) F-4E. 

Fortunately the Revell F-4F kit includes the unslatted ouboard wings from the earlier RF-4E tooling. Just use the parts from the main wing sprue rather than the ones on the forward fuselage tree, leave off the inboard slat actuators, and *voila* - hard wing Phantom 👻

Following this build with interest!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Judging by the lack of openings for the invoard slat actuators I'm 99% sure you're already aware of this, but since I didn't see it specifically mentioned I felt obliged to note that the subject you've chosen to model is a "hard wing" (i.e. unslatted) F-4E. 

Fortunately the Revell F-4F kit includes the unslatted ouboard wings from the earlier RF-4E tooling. Just use the parts from the main wing sprue rather than the ones on the forward fuselage tree, leave off the inboard slat actuators, and *voila* - hard wing Phantom 👻

Following this build with interest!

Yes, she is unslatted and I checked on pictures. Moreover in October 1973 she had a long gun muzzle. I had information on a dedicated Kurnass Facebook page.

Patrick

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Some progress.

I have changed my background but the Revell plastic is still very light. I sanded around the engine air intakes as usual with this type of aircraft. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next come the inboard wing pylons where I had to take off the flare dispenser which were not present at the time.

spacer.png

To be continued...

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Some little progress since last month.

I have received the Eduard M117 late type bombs and I am preparing 10 of them.

spacer.png

I have airbrushed Tamiya gloss black for the dielectric radome and a couple of wing leading edge parts. I will use a black-grey colour later for the tip of the radome.

spacer.png

I test-fitted the ejection seats and added some bits above the pilot instrument panel as in this kit this is too much simplified.

spacer.png

Lastly, I covered the transparent parts and airbrushed inside the flat front canopy with Alclad transparent green.

spacer.png

To be continued...

Patrick

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Last weekend I spent more than 4 hours painting this camouflage. The paint was thinned by 50% and airbrushed with low pressure. Later I airbrushed some thin layers of gloss coat.

Here is a picture of both ejection seats too. 

Next step will be the transfers.

Patrick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Her she is. Actually I built her just coming back from another mission during Yom Kippur War. This aircraft #618 was shot down on October 13th, 1973 over the Golan Heights.

So this one is ready for the YKW anniversary on October 6th.

Patrick

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 9