F-14 Tomcat advice.

March

I have somehow ended up with six Tamiya F-14’s in my stash, so naturally when it came to my next build naturally I pulled out the 1/48 F-14A Hasegawa that has been languishing in my stash for several years... 🤔 I think deep down, before getting to the Tamiya version I want to have built examples by the other main manufacturers too, I’ve already completed a Hobby Boss F-14D and an Academy F-14A, and guess I just want to suffer before getting to the joy the Tamiya interpretation of this fine aircraft. I digress...

I’ve read through various build threads and am aware that the Hasegawa kit presents humours challenges which with a considered approach and patience can be overcome to produce a fine representation of this fine aircraft. 

I’ve done some test fitting and intend to take my time with this build, thankfully this kit appears to be a later mould so the intakes should not give the problems the first couple of boxings presented as modellers with, the biggest challenge I see is in getting a clean mating between the main fuselage and cockpit sections as there are no locating pins or tabs to aid you. With this in mind, for those who have built the kit, how have you approached this step of the build and what advice would can you impart to make this step as trouble free as possible?

I’m hoping to build this into one of the birds involved in the 1981 Sidra incident.

Edited by March

Thanks for links. @CT7567 That link has indeed Ben saved and has proven to be invaluable in progressing my build. 

@Robert Lucio is ahead of me with the modelling skills displayed in that thread! Shame we don’t get to see the build progress to its conclusion. I really enjoy those builds where the modeller adds another dimension to the build, especially with some of the solutions being employed here.

One simple thing in can add. The radome to cockpit join was one that was giving me some concerns, especially as there are no pins to aid alignment. Thankfully the solution was simple. Because the back of the cockpit where it joins the fuselage is completely flat, I was able to stand this upright on a flat surface. Carefully align the radome, glue and leave. I’ve got a solid join with a near perfect fit.