Zvezda SU-27UB 1/72

Hi All,

This post will have several first's in it for me. This is the first time I have completed a Zvezda kit and the first time I've used Vallejo model air paint. I thought this would make it an ideal model to be the first I share on a forum.

The kit went together nicely with no major modification or extra parts used. I am however a little less happy with the Vallejo paint. I wanted to try them since they now offer a range of colours that match various flanker schemes nicely. I found however that they were harder to airbrush and get the thinning right. Often, they would feel slightly rubbery after drying. I thinned them very slightly with tap water which may have been the problem but if anyone else has experienced this or has any other tips on using Vallejo model air they would be greatly appreciated.

What do you think of the finished model and do you have any tips on how it could be improved? (please excuse any subpar photography)

Thanks

br60066

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by br60066
Spelling error
  • Like 17

Your Flanker is excellent!

You should not have to thin the Vallejo Air at all, actually.  I use mine right from the bottle.  I use pressure around 12-14 psi, and my airbrush isn't anything fancy.  If you do want to thin them, always thin them with Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner (not Thinner) or use a single drop of Flow Improver.  I have to do that with the green tones--they seem to dry very quickly.  The rest of the colors are fine.  I have not had any 'rubbery' experiences...maybe you are air-brushing too thick?  

Nice work again!

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for your comments :)

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Your Flanker is excellent!

You should not have to thin the Vallejo Air at all, actually.  I use mine right from the bottle.  I use pressure around 12-14 psi, and my airbrush isn't anything fancy.  If you do want to thin them, always thin them with Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner (not Thinner) or use a single drop of Flow Improver.  I have to do that with the green tones--they seem to dry very quickly.  The rest of the colors are fine.  I have not had any 'rubbery' experiences...maybe you are air-brushing too thick?  

Nice work again!

Interesting. I was running over 20 PSI so I will try lowering the pressure next time. I have a funny feeling it was put on to thick as well so lots of things to try. Thanks again

Lovely looking model 👍

I have used model Air but find it clogs more than tamiya acrylic. I have thinned it using water and thinners and found no difference.  I started using Mig Ammo paint recently and that sprays really nicely with or without thinning and no clogging/dry tip at all. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks again guys!

23 hours ago, neil5208 said:

I've tried the Valejo air and hated them but the normal Valejo sprayed much better when thinned. Nice result, yet to try Zvezda but on my list to try.

Definitely give them a try the fit is fantastic. I hardly had to sand or fill and the detail is great. 

23 hours ago, Matt P said:

Lovely looking model 👍

I have used model Air but find it clogs more than tamiya acrylic. I have thinned it using water and thinners and found no difference.  I started using Mig Ammo paint recently and that sprays really nicely with or without thinning and no clogging/dry tip at all. 

Interesting to see other people having problems with them. Guess they just take some getting used to. I’m yet to try Mig but might see if I can pick some up to test