Hi all,

I found some Warhammer scenery the other day while I was looking for something else - it's the set of Eldritch Ruins from one of the Kill Team boxes, and I put it aside originally because it looked like a lot of work to clean up. It's from the scenery range so made in China and not *quite* as nice as the stuff from Nottingham.

48319530681_1206b88bf2_b.jpg

It turned out to be better than expected with nice detail in hard (almost vinyl-like) styrene,although there were a lot of edges to scrape down and I ended up covered in a thick layer of pale green styrene shavings.

48261725851_ffa426ef94_b.jpg

Interestingly it has the look of being hand-sculpted which is unusual as most of the recent scenery is digital & complete with tooling contour lines.

48319649762_f126427f8b_b.jpg

It's painted mostly with the contrast paints plus some normal stuff for details. I wanted it to look desertey rather than jungle, and also wanted to avoid using any green at all for the plants - they're all shades of red instead.

48319529356_b8ba2fecd9_b.jpg

I think the Saim-Hann rune (above) is my fave of the two pieces. I tried to get the runes to look Eldar - they're presumably made from wraithbone which is a sort of organic material potentially full of souls. It started as a pale tan and I highlighted with white ink, but then worked a lot of yellow-green into the corners and finally added some pale blue in the damaged sections.

48319531031_832dc34b18_b.jpg

The big flower I left til last and blended through yellow/orange/warm red/cool red/dark brown. It looks quite aggressive but I don't see how it's going to catch anything other than very slow and stupid birds.

48319531376_3e0a067f8f_b.jpg

Last thing was to add some moss from red flock and matt medium. It looked a bit so-so but shading around with Agrax and drybrushing with scarlet and pink has lifted it a bit and I think it works.

48319651847_0f8057edce_b.jpg

It's been a pleasant digression - painting scenery is messy fun and it only took a couple of days. I will get back to the Titanicus buildings soon :)

48319530071_9dfd576089_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 9

They look lovely Will. Like you say, surprisingly organic sculpts for contemporary GW.

I love the vividness you've got with the contrast paints - which you keep tempting me with. I'll have to pick some up sooner or later.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

They look lovely Will. Like you say, surprisingly organic sculpts for contemporary GW.

I love the vividness you've got with the contrast paints - which you keep tempting me with. I'll have to pick some up sooner or later.

I think they are a good bit more saturated than other GW paints, for one thing I keep finding that when I try and edit my images to just clip the black point, it feels like one or two channels hit zero long before the last one does. I'm pretty sure that used to happen less often with standard Citadel paint - probably because the deepest shadows would be from black lining or Agrax Earthshade or similar?

They may not be as much of a revelation for you as you already use glazes a lot, but I prefer them to glazes I've mixed myself. IMO the consistency is better and they tend to flow out a tiny bit on the surface giving a nice blend of controllable edges and feathering. It's definitely made me less quick to pick up the airbrush for blends and the like, and although I think I'm sacrificing some quality (neatness is hard) it's just really fun stuff to play with.

On the sculpts, I'm tempted to try and find some of the Shardwrack Spines which are another part of the Deathworld Forest releases. They don't have all the filigree leaves to clean up which is a bonus :)

Cheers,

Will 

• Like 1